DAO trigger

rodwhaincamo

I don't have much experience firing DAO quickly. When I have my target can be reused most of the time. I do very nicely with a nice single action trigger. I've considered the Glock or other plastic DAO pistols, but I just don't feel my groups will reflect something to be feared. I have heard that the trigger pull can be reduced to something closer to a single action pull. Is this so (down to 6.5 lbs), and would it shorten dramatically the length of pull? Reliability issues? The 1911 still holds my fancy, but to have a fairly compact pistol with nearly twice the ammo makes me consider them.

SPUSCG

SIG DAK was about 6.5 pounds, Still hate it. Single actions should be 4-5 lbs and not nearly as long of a pull.

cavnamvet

You will never duplicate a good 1911 SA trigger with a DA trigger.
On the other hand, you probably will never duplicate the fast fire power
you have hi-cap DAO's, using a 1911.

My glock 19 is dao and a smooth 5.5 lb trigger. You can get a 3.5 but
wouldn't recommend it for SD. My Kahr K9 elite has a real smooth trigger
also, somewhat long but very smooth at about 6 lbs.

So the answer is to have both, one you don't have to think about releasing the safety under stress, and one you can shoot with better accuracy when
ambushing an intruder in your home.

rsxr22

You have some options. I stock glock trigger is around 5.5lbs. You can also upgrade the trigger assembly to a vanek or glockworx trigger for about $100.

Other options would be HK's light LEM or a smoothed out Sig DAK action

AK103K

Speed doesnt come from being fast, it comes from being practiced and smooth.

People who worry about the trigger on DA gun are actually worrying about the wrong thing. They should be worrying about the sights, and keeping that alignment, while stroking the trigger. By stroking the trigger, I mean pulling all the way through, without hesitation. Staging the trigger is just the DA version of a SA trigger, and really not the proper way to shoot them.

Lightening doesnt necessarily make the trigger better either, although many seem to think its important. Most DA autos and revolvers have decent DA trigger, and some are downright nice, even if they are not "light".

Dry firing is one of your best bets here. If you practice focusing on your sights while you stroke the trigger, and concentrate on keeping the proper sight picture through the whole thing, you will start to get the rhythm down and you will see your groups start to shrink at the range with live ammo. By focusing on your sights, and paying less attenton to the trigger, you get two benefits. One, your sights are aligned and on target, and you get a surprise trigger break, which is something you tend not to really get with a single action trigger.

I learned to shoot DA on heavily recoiling revolvers. My SA groups were suffering, especially the more I shot and the more I thought about it. A friend suggested shooting DA, for the two reasons above, and a short time later, my groups started to shrink, and the difference was pretty dramatic. Once I got used to shooting that way, I never went back to thumb cocking them.

I have a number of DA and DAO pistols, and when you compare my single shot DA groups to my SA groups, you'll find the DA groups are usually smaller.

I think once you practice a little while, and start to see improvement, you'll find that your less sensitive to triggers in general, and find you worry less about them. You dont need to spend extra money on them.

EdInk

I live me Xd. Not a 1911 but twice the ammo less weight and super reliable. I have seen ones from the SA custom shop with crazy light triggers and short reset travel.

Gdawgs

The XD isn't a double action. Not a true singe action either, kind of a hybrid. But much closer to single than double.

trespass

dao-good

if the trigger pull is smooth and breaks crisply it is a good dao.
I like dao myself...the trigger is consistent shot to shot and
if used for service/defense you will be amazed what adrenalin can do for a trigger pull! the last thing you will likely need to concern yourself with in a shooting for your life situation is trigger pull...could probably drag a volkswagen! more likely the problem will be staying OFF the trigger or not
firing wildly or prematurely. I have a little colection of wonderful pistols in the old SA design, 1911 and hi-power that are wonderfully light and fun...
but for real world I am more inclined to my H&K p2000sk.
(I was once in the woods on a manhunt for armed robber at night...
the guy had held up a local convenience store with an M1 carbine and bailed into the woods, the sheriff and I went out after him armed with handguns only...as we creeped in the darkness there was a sudden noise and a light...and the sheriff and I instinctively dropped and all that kept me from shooting holes all thru a cattle tank with an automatic pump on it was a dao trigger!)

Walt Sherrill

You will never duplicate a good 1911 SA trigger with a DA trigger.
Probably true, but the factory trigger on an ASAI ONE PRO will come closer than you'd think possible. I had one for a while, but fololishly sold in search of somethng different. Smoothest, lightest factory trigger I've ever experienced.

My problem with it was starting out, the first pull was so light, I often double-tapped without meaning to. More practice would have fixed that, but I did't practice that much with it. Wonderful .45, though.

chris in va

The Kahr has a really nice DAO trigger, 3/8" of travel on the 'elite' models. Even my 1/2" "NYC" trigger is very smooth and the low bore axis cuts muzzle jump by about half compared to my PITA P11.

MythBuster

"The XD isn't a double action. Not a true singe action either, kind of a hybrid. But much closer to single than double".

The XD is as single action as any gun can get. The trigger pull releases a fully cocked striker.

That can't be considered anything but SA.

Alleykat

The XD is a lot closer to a single action than a Glock is to a double action. Pull the trigger on a real double-action semi-auto, then pull a Glock trigger and you'll instantly see/feel the difference. My Glocks' triggers pull from just over 3# to just under 4#.

Yep, my Glocks' triggers will never be as crisp and clean as my 1911s' triggers. I'm sure there must be a point to that statement, since I just made it, but I sure as heck don't know what the point is. :)