DAO Trigger Take Up?

rodwhaincamo

I am not fond of DAO triggers, especially not after owning a 1911. Can the pull be shortened on any DAO pistol? I know the trigger pull can be lightened if it is too heavy, though it seems most are light nowadays.

hexidismal

I'm kind of curious what webshoot is referring to.. because I would say the answer is generally an overwhelming no. The are certain guns that would technically be considered DAO that can be modified with a shorter reset , such as the Glock. I'm guessing though the OP is talking about a more traditional long DAO trigger action. Smoother and lighter, certainly yes.. but shorter.. in 99% of cases it just isn't or couldn't be done without a complete overhaul and re-design.

Walt Sherrill

Geneally, what you got is what you're stuck with.

Unless the gun has a particularly poor design, the DAO trigger pull is long because that's what is required to make the gun cycle properly.

Put simply, it's about LEVERAGE...

If you do something to shorten the pull, other things, like pull weight must go up. (And that's assuming that such an adjustment is even possible without a major redesign.)

rodwhaincamo

I was spoiled by a 1911's sweet single action trigger.
I am looking at non 1911's in both an ultra compact single stack in 9mm for the GF, as well as a double stack semi compact in any caliber, but leaning towards a .40 cal.
So many of the options are DAO, and I just don't do nearly as well with the long heavy trigger pull.
Took me all of maybe a month to get all of my .45 bullets within a 6" circle or less at 15 yds firing just as fast as I could. Nothing like that firing a Ruger Security Six.

SauerGrapes

DAO guns aren't for target shooting, but they can be shot accurately with practice.
I've never heard of altering one to shorten the trigger pull. They work well as carry guns IMO. Nothing more fun than shooting a nice DA revolver.....:cool:

tristar viper

I have an HK P30 with the LEM trigger. I shoot this gun more accurately than anything else I have. I have come to prefer this DAO trigger over anything else. I've shot a couple 1911's that had hair sensitive triggers and I mean if you so much as blew on them they'd go off practically. I hate that and do not enjoy shooting a gun with a trigger like that. This LEM trigger has "feel" and I know exactly what's going on and when.

AK103K

I have come to prefer this DAO trigger over anything else.
Me too, more or less. Just change "this DAO" to "the DAO". Once you spend a little time with them, the supposed "negatives" go away, and your shooting in general tends to improve, and you also become a much more versatile shooter.

Where you really notice it, is with heavy recoiling guns. Thats where I really started putting time in with the DA trigger and learned to appreciate it. After just a short bit of time put in shooting my 4" Model 29 DAO with hot loads, I noticed my groups shrink quite a bit. I havent thumb cocked a revolver since. Even with my DA autos, my groups shot using only the DA trigger, are almost always smaller than my groups shot with the SA trigger.

Personally, I think some people worry WAY to much about the trigger. If you cant shoot a box stock trigger (and most new guns have decent triggers right out of the box), and shoot it reasonably well, thats not the guns fault. If all you can shoot well, are tuned SA triggers, then you need to expand your horizons.

rodwhaincamo

Viper: I wouldn't like a hair trigger either. Granted the pull was light, it was an AMT Hardballer...just a cheapie, not finely tuned. Seemed a perfect weight to me. I'm guessing 5-7 lbs. I'm thinking I would like to stay under 8 lbs or so.
AK: I have a 44 Mag Tracker now, and I notice that I flinch quite a bit. Apparently the muzzle blast, though I don't understand why I would be bothered by that. Not in the same leage, but I shot nothing but +P out of my 45, and did quite well emptying a mag.
It's not like I don't know what to expect or feel it may go flying. I often shoot it single handed.
So I'm guessing it was the same with the 357. But I was also much younger and much less experienced.

I also have rather short hands and hear many complain of the long reach and figure I would no doubt suffer the same affliction. :eek:
And so I was wondering if the pull could be shortened for an easier reach.

Last edited:

tommyboy

there is an aftermarket part for glock that takes up about half the overtravel
there is a replacement trigger from tjs gunworks that take up overtravel on sigs and then (i know the xd is single action)but there is also the springer precision trigger job for the springfield xd that takes up about half the overtravel and can lighten the trigger pull.i had mine down to 3lbs and 2oz
i havent seen anything for the other 100s of dao out there though

AK103K

I have a 44 Mag Tracker now, and I notice that I flinch quite a bit. Apparently the muzzle blast, though I don't understand why I would be bothered by that.
A lot of what shooting DAO does for you is, it makes you focus on your sights, and especially your front sight, and keeping it where it needs to be, as you stroke the trigger, and takes away that thinking about whats going to happen when you do touch it off. You concentrate on the basics, and doing what youre supposed to be, and not thinking about the aftermath.

With light triggers, you know pretty much as soon as you touch the trigger, its going, and if youre shooting a heavy hitter, youre probably already starting to cringe. Always knowing pretty much the exact moment its going off, isnt always a good thing.

And before I hear it from the target shooters, yes, I know youre not supposed to "know", and the "glass rod" thing, and they do have their place, but then again, there are times they dont. And with any of them, its not always going to be a surprise, nor do you want it to be. You can also shoot a DAO gun in that respect, just as easily, and in many cases easier, than you can a SA. If you doubt that, just watch Jerry Miculek shoot a revolver.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you take a little time and effort, give it a try with your .44 or any of your DA revolvers for that matter, youre going to see those groups shrink, and it happen sooner than you think too. Its not hard, but it is harder than not doing it and saying you cant, because you really didnt try.

Skans

Think of a Double-Action-Only as a semi-auto with the action of a double action revolver. If you can shoot a revolver, you can shoot a DAO semi-auto.

Personally, I think it's very dangerous to try to lighten the trigger on DAO semi-autos. What it is more likely to do is make the gun more unreliable, with an increased possibility of light primer strikes. DAO's are not typically target or range guns - they are intended for deep concealment and to be used at fairly short distances.

Glocks are not true DAO guns - they are a unique type of striker fired semi-auto. If Glocks were DAO's, then each pull of the trigger would cause the striker to move the full length before being released. In this case, the trigger pull of a Glock would be quite long and substantial.

priler

rodwhaincamo,the correct answer to your question is yes,no and maybe,it depends. my first thought is,if the problem is truly that you have short hands,then my suggestion would be to find a gun that fits your hand first and foremost.that would solve your problem right there.

if you would prefer to stick with a particular make and model because you like it for some reason,then you have to research into that model and see if there's a solution out there that could possibly work for you but i would say there's no way to be absolutely sure that you would be satisfied after the modification,but you might.i would be real careful with DIY type mods though, and i even hate mentioning those over the internet as you could possibly make a perfectly safe firearm into one that is not.

tommyboy has already mentioned a few that are out there which may be prefered because the solution is more of a produced or "professional" type part that you can buy or have a gunsmith install for you(sometimes even from the very some manufacturer of your firearm as an "up-grade" or a solution they may have already incorporated on their newer models).there are also people who have come up with similar type solutions,like for example,if you do a search for "keltec p11 shortening the trigger travel",you'll find that,and there are a few others aswell but again,i strongly recommend extreme caution(for many make/models the answer may be a flat out no).

however,are you sure that what you want isn't actually simply a shorter reset,that is a different matter.a true DAO trigger is different from one that has a short reset.there are so many different functioning triggers out there now,it can all be very confusing.

for example,the h&k V2(LEM) is basically a DAO "type" trigger but with a short reset.when you chamber a round,you have the "long" trigger pull with a weight of about 7.5-8lbs. when it breaks,the reset is about 1/4 of the way forward compared to the original pull and you can fire again including all subsequent shots. there are other types of triggers out there too and you'll have to find what your looking for.

if you are refering specifically to these new slim type pistols excusively(like pps),then i know exactly what you mean.they all seem to be either true DAO or have a little safety "do-hicky" right on the trigger,like a glock,which i do not like personally.in fact,i am looking for one such beast right now and have found nothing to my satisfaction(other criteria are involved for me though).

there is the bersa bp/cc(or called bp9cc,bp40cc,etc.)which states it will have a "short reset DAO" but i'll have to wait and see if it is actually what i consider a short reset.

in the end,you have to find what works for you but my guess is your problem is actually finding something that fits your hand despite whatever trigger it has.

imo,smooth is more important than the weight,unless excessive which can also be detrimental to control/accuracy, but reaching the trigger so you can use it properly,is also very important.there're many pistols out there that have different back-straps that may give you a solution to reach.

good luck.

by the way,imo,most people don't use their trigger finger correctly.they simply pull the trigger any-which-way.i like to use the correct spot on my finger pad and ark through the second knuckle only,keeping the first joint straight,..but that's for another thread.