Daniel Defense

odugrad

I am looking to purchase a new Daniel Defense M4 style rifle. I looked online and saw they were around $1700. Does this sound like a reasonable price? I have seen at Gun Broker they run hundreds of dollars less. Do you know of any other sites I could use to purchase one?

Indi

I recently bought a dd mk18 for 1695.00. I didnt shop around it was kind of an impulse buy. After making the purchase I searched the net and looks like I paid msrp.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
You should never have to buy at MSRP.
But some dealers are selling them at it.

Go find a different dealer.

As far as wanting to buy a DDM4... that's a good move. They are outstanding.

Theohazard

I'm guessing he paid MSRP because he bought a Mk18, which is an SBR; NFA items tend to be closer to MSRP because of the extra overhead required to sell them.

odugrad

Do you know how to find a good dealer? I generally just buy from gun shows. But I haven't seen one at any shows I've gone to.

Also, can you explain the difference between a DDM4 V1 or V4 or V7, etc?

Theohazard

odugrad said:
Also, can you explain the difference between a DDM4 V1 or V4 or V7, etc?
Their website can probably explain the differences better than we can. Once you find each rifle you can click on "Add to Compare" and compare the specs of each rifle side-by-side.

Rikakiah

I got my v7 direct from DD for $1500. Pretty sure the versions are basically just different body styles, if you will. For example, the v7 is the tubular handguard, v5 is a quad rail, one of them has a FSB, etc.

Brotherbadger

You should never have to buy at MSRP.
But some dealers are selling them at it.

Go find a different dealer.

As far as wanting to buy a DDM4... that's a good move. They are outstanding.

Agreed. To the OP: Primary Arms is a DD dealer, not sure how their prices compare. I've always enjoyed dealing with them though.

Glockstar .40

I bought my V2 from cheaper than dirt for just under 1400 a day after the re-election of obummer and before I lost all respect for CTD. I will never shop there again:mad:....however back then i got a good deal.

odugrad

Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking for something superbly reliable at a reasonable price. I was impressed with the Daniel Defense torture tests they've been advertising. I'm relatively new to rifles and I currently have a Bushmaster. But I've been reading that their quality has gone down recently and am looking for something that is going to last for a long, long time.

Justice06RR

I'm looking for something superbly reliable at a reasonable price. I was impressed with the Daniel Defense torture tests they've been advertising. I'm relatively new to rifles and I currently have a Bushmaster. But I've been reading that their quality has gone down recently and am looking for something that is going to last for a long, long time.

"Reasonable" is what you can afford. If you like DD and can pay the price on their AR15's, buy one. They are great rifles.

On a side note, PSA also does similar torture test on their rifles as DD and comes out about the same. If you haven't seen the PSA torture tests, just look it up. Very close to the DD test with a few exceptions. PSA is usually priced well under $1k for similar quality.

Now if you just want name brand, then DD is good to go. Just remember there are plenty of other options at that price point including BCM, Colt, KAC, Noveske, LMT, and LWRC.

Sheriff Gotcha

I am new to rifles too and was looking into a DD rifle and still am for that matter. I soon found out that for $1,700 you have a litany of options opened up for you.

So far what I have been looking at DD, LWRC, Krebs Custom, ACR's and Tavor's.

Right now I am giving a Tavor strong consideration, just because I like to be different and they are really cool. Also, if I decide to go with a classic AR style rifle then I will probably go with the LWRC, those are nice rifles as well.

Quentin2

I lucked out with my Daniel Defense build. Got their DDM4V3 16" pencil upper with DD BCG and charging handle plus MOE midlength handguards for $550 during an incredible sale Smartgunner.com had in 2010. Married it to a S&W stripped lower built up with a DD LPK, BCM M4 receiver extension kit and H buffer. Added an MBUS2 rear sight and came in right at $1000 for a high quality KISS rifle.

Haven't seen Smartgunner do a sale like that since but I'm glad they did it back then.

cookie5

Daniel Defense, Bravo Company and Colt are by far the best ARs on the market . PSA premium line builds are quite the value .

Palmetto-Pride

If two rifle are for arguments sake exactly the same in every aspect except for the roll mark is one better than the other.........at this point only resale value would be somthing to consider........

IF they are exactly the same, sure. But IF one has built a name on reliability and quality control and the other has built a name on being cheap...the potential of getting a problem is going to be much higher one way vs another. You don't always just pay for a manufacturer's mark. Especially on completed rifles. You're paying for things like quality control and warrenties and experience. You don't just get handed the reputation of being one of the best.

Fishbed77

Daniel Defense, Bravo Company and Colt are by far the best ARs on the market .

They are great "mil-spec" rifles, along with Spikes and others. I wouldn't call them "by far the best ARs on the market," since there are a number of rifles out there that surpass mil-spec, such as the KAC SR-15 or the Noveske rifles.