Dang scale

CrustyFN

I have a Pact BBKII digital scale I have been using for five years and it has been a good scale. Well I went down to do some reloading tonight and the scale won't zero. I guess I'll stop on the way home tomorrow and see what a RCBS beam scale cost local.

Daggitt

I like my Frankford Arsenal digital scale but I use the balance beam scale to double check periodically.

Last edited:

CrustyFN

Well I just went down to plug it in to try to reset it and it's working fine now. Thanks for the link rg1 if I have any more problems I will try that.

1Hobie

I bought a set of check weights from RCBS and periodically check the calibration of my Dillon scale. As with everything to do in re-loading, accuracy and repeatability are critical.
The weights add piece of mind.
Regards,
Hobie

hounddawg

I have pretty much gave up on the electronics. They only last a year or so for me then readings get screwy. I have a RCBS 750 that I can leave on 24 hours and by the time I weigh out 50 charges can dump the charge from the first case back on the scale and it will read .2 or .3 grains different than when I put it in the case an hour before.

amamnn

Keeping static electricity under control on your bench will help you to avoid a repeat of the problem. Also, a line filter can keep power spikes from doing the same thing. Power spikes can happen without you even knowing it--someone running a vacuum cleaner or even a fan at the other end of the house can do it if the circuits are right and the motor is noisy, electrically. You don't necessarily have to see sparks flying from your fingers when petting the dog to be having static problems in the house. The PACT reset procedure is something worth reading and writing down. It works on both their scales.

Static prevention mats on the bench are an affordable item these days--several online sources for them. A line filter that will work well can be made very cheaply or maybe even for free. If you have or can get, a strong magnet, just place it on the power cord about 4 to 6 inches from your scale. The magnet I use is VERY strong, but I don't wear a mechanical watch so that is not an issue. My magnet works quite well no matter how I orient it on the cord--poles parallel or perpendicular to the lay of the cord - makes no difference.

I was able to test the line filter idea because I use a new electronic dehumidifier in my loading room. When I wanted to use my scale I had to turn off the dehumidifier because it was so noisy I could not use the scale, the dispenser, or even hear the radio there was so much noise on the circuit. Magnets on all the powder cords for these devices fixed the problem.

6mmbr.com had an article in the tech section about this- and recommends a seller. I have not fooled around with weaker magnets than the ones I use, but I would guess that to be effective, they need to be a little stronger than the refrigerator door magnets you use to hang up the kids school artwork.

deepcore

I use the balance beam scale to double check periodically

Same here. Both scales get set up side by side. With the check weights in the middle.

I bought an isolation transformer and it seems to be helping a lot with my digital scale.

1Hobie

Greetings,
Amamnn, could you point me in the direction about the magnet reducing or eliminating noise on an electric circuit? Understand that I'm not at this point disputing what you said but I've worked in various forms of electric troubleshooting for the 35 years and this is the first I've heard of using magnets as line filters. That doesn't mean that I know it all but a web search didn't produce any tangible evidence. Also power spikes are handled by surge supressors, not line filters. Two different animals as it were.

The 6BR.com thread that I read did mention not looping the cord as it could create a magnetic field.

Here's a disertation on line filters as I understand them. http://www.mitcables.com/pdf/powerline_noise.pdf

However, all that said, if the magnets works well for you, press on!:)

Thanks,

Hobie

Last edited: