Dan Wesson's New 1911- Any Comments?

tonyz

Yesterday at a gun show I was able to look at and handle the new Dan Wesson 1911 pistol. It seems like a very solid piece and had some nice upgrades. The cost of the one I looked at NIB was $540.00. Nice price for a decked out 1911.

Anybody own one, or shot one. I would like to get some feedback on this pistol.

Tony

pats.gif

RogerC

Careful. be sure you know the difference between Pointman MAJOR's and Pointman MINOR's.

The Majors can hold their own with any production 1911 pistols.

The Minors are decent "entry level" pistols. Along the lines of CD's.

I don't think you saw a Patriot for $540. Add another 2 or 3 bills.

Sam C

external extractors

The photo above looks like these guns have external extractors. If so, what a nice touch. Sam:)

sanchezero

hmmmm...

These look great. However I can't find prices anywhere (DW's site, Gunbroker or Gunsamerica). I see plenty of Pointman pistols, but none of them have external extractors, so I'm ruling them out ;)

Anyone have any ideas on where to find out prices? I've mailed DW, but I wanna know NOW!!! :D

TIR

Have any of you had any experience with warranty? I am considering a Pointman Major in 10mm for the collection. Seeing how this is a 1911 set up I am concerned about frame cracks. I have heard of the Colt's cracking, should I be concerned or not?

PETman

I live @ 40 miles away from DW Arms.
Had friend go on a tour at the factory and
was able to PICK the 1911 of his choice!!!!
His runs just fine with all ammo. My next 1911
will only be a road trip away!!!!!!

PETman

rblack

Hey TIR,

No need to worry about Dan Wesson's warranty. They are some of the best people to work with in the gun industry. I had a small problem and they bent over backwards to help me out. Paid all shipping and even sent me a Dan Wesson cap.

RogerC

I e-mailed them and said that I didn't have a bushing wrench. 3 days later I got one in the mail, free of charge.

That's service.

Jake 98c/11b

A few years ago one of our part timers decided to order a Pointman (we were at the SHOT show). When the gun came in we were terribly disappointed, there was a long list of deficiencies. The stainless frame had a big rusted hand print around the frame the next day. The engraving was screwed up, it looked like the frame slipped in the machine and they started over without polishing out the mistake. The cocking serrations on the slide were not even. The trigger was crap, not that it mattered because it wouldn't work often enough to matter. The thumb safety had some serious problems, it would go on real easy but it came off real hard. The thumb safety also had a rather peculiar fault I have never seen in another gun, it had two stages (for lack of a better word) when taking the gun off safe, the first 'stage' would not allow the hammer to fall. After pulling the trigger after pushing the safety to its first downward stop and trying the trigger (without success) more force on the safety would cause the hammer to fall on its own about half the time. It was also known to, on occasion, re-engage itself in recoil (half way). Add to this the fact that the gun never once fed from the magazine, either one, and you have a nice little fire to throw your cash into.

When we sent the gun back to the manufacturer with a note explaining our displeasure we told them we had several customers who were interested in Dan Wesson handguns. We made it known that these customers were aware of the above mentioned problems and asked them to tell us why this was not what we should expect from Dan Wesson in the future. I was certain to mention that I was aware of the difficulty involved in bringing a new product to the market (offering a possible avenue for them to save face) but I never received any reply. I called after the gun was returned after repair (it was an 80% solution) and asked if they could reply to my letter but they refused. After once again asking for something to show our customers who had expressed some interest in their guns I was placed on hold, after 10 minutes or so I lost interest and hung up.

I suppose it is possible their guns are up to speed but I have never had the opportunity to find out, my part time guy only put a few boxes through his 1911 Dan Wesson before it was lost in the back of his safe, he only kept it because it's serial number was 0012.

Jake 98c/11b

I almost forgot, when the pistol arrived at Dan Wesson we did receive a call from the service department. The guy I talked to explained how a stainless frame could discolor overnight as a result of a bad carburizing process but he was none too happy when I asked him about test firing the guns at the factory. He said that all of their guns were test fired at the factory, 14 rounds total I believe it was, 7 per mag. The owner of the pistol was standing next to me at this point and, relaying his question, I asked how it was done since the pistol never once fed from the magazine. Wilson and Ed Brown mags were tried too, with no success. It took almost 25 minutes to fire nine rounds of .45 ball. The poor guy on the other end of the phone was getting loud and defensive so I asked what ammunition they used at the factory, "we may have found a load the gun doesn't like" I offered. All their .45s were test fired with factory Winchester, until I informed him we tried Winchester white box, then he remembered it was not Winchester after all but some other brand.

Hopefully things are running a bit smoother there these days.

Jake 98c/11b

RogerC, it was not the product I could not forgive but the apathetic reply. I was acused of lying by their service guy and blown off by the rest of the bunch. In the end I just decided they were not interested in making me happy as a dealer/customer. I was simply hoping they could give me reason to sell their product after the sample I saw. I gave them every opportunity to explain themselves and they refused. Several of my regular customers saw that pistol when it was in the shop, how could I convince then I was stocking a quality product after that. All I asked for was "Let me/ my customers know why this is not indicative of the quality of Dan Wesson products. If you can do that I have orders to place". They would not answer, I could not stock their product.

Jake 98c/11b

By my typing speed maybe you have guessed that I am not big into computers, I do not remember windows 3.0.

This is a relatively small company (Dan Wesson), and they do not deal in a huge volume of guns. I was looking for reasons to stock their product and even after offering some excuses (new product, first production run) they did not seem to care about their reputation.

Might be great guns now but I have no faith in what I saw of the company.

RogerC

Windows 3.0 was a buggy, crash prone mess of an operating system. Windows XP (the latest incarnation) is pretty damn good.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but I believe it is the exception and not the rule. DW has been working hard to perfect their 1911 pistols, and it seems they have done well.

Anytime a company starts producing a product, there is a risk of some lemons, and some problems. My Windows analogy is meant to point out that a lot of products don't have very good starts. The important thing is whether they get fixed or not.

From the ones I've shot and examined, I think they are headed in the right direction.

DW is constantly improving and trying hard, they want a piece of Kimber and it should be easy now that Kimber screwed the pooch with the type II safety.

They started with cast frames and slides then forged sides on the majors and I hear they may go all forged. I'm very impressed with the fit of the newer guns and they are a GREAT value. Also I've heard nothing but good things about there service to DW owners.