Dan Wesson Valkyrie

Stats Shooter

I have decided I no longer want to deal with a finicky officer's sized 45 ACP. It feeds ball ammo fine, but if you want to feed jhp's (in this gun), you have to use Remington golden sabers, you have to have strong mag springs, you have to have a recoil spring that has less than 250 rounds on it, you have to make sure it is well lubed (almost dripping), and the extractor has to be less tight than I would like to make sure no extra effort is wasted getting the casehead up on the bolt face. Also, the feed lips need to be polished and clean. Then there is the fact that jhp's chew up the aluminum feed ramp a bit.

So, I am going with a commander sized gun which seems to avoid a lot of these issues in the micro 45's. Further, the dan Wesson has a ramped barrel and offers an officer sized grip with a commander sized slide.

So I am wondering if any of you have any experience with the Dan Wesson Valkyrie. . It ain't very cheap, but not in the Wilson combat price range either. I have a dan Wesson already (govt size) and love it. But it's a bit big to carry. Reliability is key obviously in any carry gun and I'm hoping to find one that doesn't require so much effort just to feed a jhp.

Thanks

Siggy-06

I dont have that model in particular, however all of Dan Wesson's offering in the 1911 platform are solid. Take a look at the Guardian as well.

Brutus

I made the bucket list jump to a Dan Wesson Bobtail Valor this summer.
Glad I did as I understand they have been discontinued. Had a few break in issues but now the gun functions perfectly. This is my first commander length fixed sight 1911 so my only problem is that the sights are regulated for .230 grain bullets. Naturally all my 5" adjustable sight .45's have had a steady diet of 200 grainers over the last 45 years but since it is a self defense gun for me I'll leave the sights alone and use the heavier rounds. This was my first Dan Wesson and I like it so much I've also acquired a PM-38 in 38 Super.
Couldn't be happier. :)

ms6852

The 1911's magazine was originally designed to be used with ball ammo only. The lips on it allows the ball ammo to angle upwards at the right angle so that you do not have a feed problem. With the new designs of modern bullets like semi-wad cutters, hollow points and such a new type magazine designed for these modern bullets are needed. You just have to find the correct magazine. Compare the design of the magazines that feed the ball ammo perfectly to a different brand of magazine that does not look like what you have, and you should be fine. You will need to buy what is termed Hybrid magazines. Anyway here is an article that you can read if you want.
https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-1911-magazines/

Last edited: