Dan Wesson timing problem

YosemiteSam357

I went shooting with a friend yesterday who had an old (real old) Dan Wesson .357 he'd gotten from his father-in-law's estate. No model number, ".357 mag ctg." on the side, kinda blocky/chunky, with nice "DW" grips and a half shroud heavy barrel. It was having severe timing problems, sometimes not revolving the cylinder enough, causing lockups. Nothing real tight, it could be fixed by moving the cylinder by hand, but it was annoying and he wants to make it right. The cylinder release lever (a weird affair mounted in front of the cyl on the frame) was also real stiff and didn't want to release sometimes.

I've replaced springs in Taurus and Ruger revolvers, but never done any work on a DW. Is it likely that the timing issue(s) could be fixed with a spring kit from Brownells, or should this go back to the factory for them to have a look? He won't be using this for defense, but he would like it to work properly.

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

Dfariswheel

Best option: "cut to the chase" and return it to the factory.

They'll restore it to 100% working condition in short order.

Although, you might be able to fix it at home, by the time you order all the suspect parts, figure out WHICH of those parts are needed to fix the problem, and fit them, DW will have your gun back in good working shape.

Majic

DW's are not very complicated, but are a bit unique. It sounds as if you have no experience with them so I agree with sending it back to the factory. It could just be years and years of gunk slowing timing or parts have worn.

JoeHatley

Double check that the barrel to cylinder gap is set to 0.006". If it's too tight, the cylider will drag on the barrel face, especially when dirty.

The current Dan Wesson, will work on your old gun, if needed. Last time I checked, they had a minimum charge of $150 plus shipping, plus parts if needed.

Fresh springs might be an okay idea, but they really won't effect timing.

Good Luck...

Joe