Dan Wesson Pointman 1911A1

alamo

I saw this posted on a Yahoo list by Jack Fuselier. He is a superb gunsmith from a family of gunsmiths. He has been around for a long time, now in his 70s and does a lot of 1911 work. I thought his comments on this pistol would be of interest to 1911 fans:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I felt I should pass this along, particularly to the members who
are interested in the 1911 and accurizing. This is about the
new Dan Wesson 1911 Pointman 1911A1s. I saw my first one some months ago at a local show where I had a table. I bought a DW PM2 minor from an unlicensed fellow who trades in guns by walking the aisles.

I wasn't interested at first, but I looked it over at his insistence,
and ultimately fell in love with it because it was so well made. I
bought it from him.

After taking it home and shooting it, I was confident that my early
assessment was absolutely correct. I get every kind of 1911 in here for one reason or another, including the very high dollar Les Baers, and this DW gun was as well put together as any production line 1911 pistol I had ever had in my hands, and as accurate as any 1911 I have ever seen or shot, bar none. I was astounded, to say the least.

I thought perhaps that this was a fluke, but when the opportunity
came up to acquire more DW assembly line pistols I bought them.
These guns put any 1911 'smith out of the accurizing business.

To make the story short, these new guns are absolutely correct, and looking them over I find a hundred things that I learned the hard way in a lifetime of working with 1911s are incorporated and correct in these guns. I even called and talked to one of the DW gunsmiths about them. I believe these are the finest production 1911A1s ever made and the accuracy is incredible. This is not a commercial, it is just about how amazed I am at the quality and accuracy.

jem375

Well, I had trouble with mine......first of all it won't shoot anything but 230 gr. ball ammo unless you have it re-throated by your gunsmith or send it back to DW to be re-throated.....also a little trouble with the trigger, but, that will probably work out with more rounds shot through the gun..........the accuracy is really good though, on a par with any match 45's..........I really think they should advertise that it only shoots 230 gr. ball ammo, since I reload mostly 200 grainers..........I will probably have to get it re-throated...............

blades67

Stephen A. Camp got one (for free even!) and had some trouble with a poor quality magazine catch, but not with the accuracy. Sounds like the gun to look at.

RogerC

The Patriot is the next generation DW.

If they are better than the Pointman Majors, I'm betting that they will become hard to find and in demand. That usually means the price will go up.

When they come out with a Commander sized Patriot, I will buy one.