Dan Wesson Owners Front and Center

Richard Simmons

Was conducting a little quarterly PMS this weekend I going over my one and only Dan Wesson and got to thinking how little I really know about this seemingly wonderful firearm. Mine's a 4", 15-2 with it's original styrofoam carton. Carton has matching label on the end and a 1981 dated letter as well as the tool (complete with rubber nipples) and gauge. The revolver itself was purchased used but virtually unfired when I bought it and looks nearly mint. Before the merger of DW and CZ there was some history about these on the DW website. That appears to be no longer the case as I cannot find it. Is there information available on the Dan Wesson revolvers? Perhaps something like the SCSW we handejector collectors find so useful? Would really like to know more about the various model designations, features, etc? From what I've been able to find on the web it appears that some DW revolvers were not as well made as others depending on where and when they were made. I've seen references for small and large frames but also some medium frames mentioned. Any and all information and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Majic

There really wasn't a small frame DW. There were medium frames, large frames, and the Super Mag frames. I've never seen any publication dedicated to the DWs. If there is one I would like to have it also.
As there are quite a few of us DW owners you can post your questions and it can probably be answered collectively by us.

BigBoar

At one time Dan Wesson made a small 5 shot .38 Special revolver but I forget the model number. I think it was called "Lil Dan" but could be wrong. This was a true small frame like the SP-101 or J frame. Until recently on the websight, though, the small frame was really a medium frame (e.g. 715). I gather the Lil Dan was made only about a year or less in small numbers.

As for model numbers the only ones I am familiar with are the, 15 (med. frame .357), 22 (med frame .22LR), 32 (med. frame .32 H&R mag), 41 (.41 mag large frame), 44 (large frame .44 mag). If one puts a 7 in front of the model number it is stainless e.g. 715 is a stainless .357. A V after the model number indicates vent rib, VH a vent rib with underlug, VH an underlugged barrel. There are other model numbers for the .445 and such with extended case but I don't know what they are and earlier model Dan Wessons such as Model 12 and for fixed sight medium frame guns.

LH2

When I was a kid, around '79 or '80 I think, I went with my Mom to a gun store and she bought a new 6" .357 DW. The bluing was really nice.

She still has the gun, I doubt it's had more than 50 rounds through it. It shoots really nice.

tjhands

People say to avoid the DWs that were made in "Palmer." I forget where Palmer is, but that's what I've heard. Mine was made in Monson, Mass, and it's a great .357! :)

Richard Simmons

Thanks for the replies gents. My back copies of Gun Digest show a Model 8 and 14 as fixed sight .38 Special and .357. A model 9 and 15 are the same revolvers only adjustable sights. They also show the .38 Special 5 shot that BigBoar mentioned as the Model 738P. My Monson 15-2 has the non vent rib barrel shroud. What barrels and shrouds can I use on it? I'd like a 2.5" and as well as a 6". Can I use the V and or VH barrels and shrouds? I've only had mine out once and was shooting 148gr HBWC (target load reloads) with it and my 4" 10-7 S&W. The same load in the Smith would totter the falling plates but in the DW they went right on their backs. The tighter cylinder gap on the DW positively showed the difference in velocity between the two guns. I'm also seing mention of a square post for grips on my 15-2. Are the other models not square? Anyone know what the different grip shapes are called? TIA

srfl

I'm a three times over DW owner: two Model 15's made in Monson, MA and a PTE-EXP 1911 10mm Auto.

With my Model 15's I own two six inch barrels (a vent and vent heavy), one four inch vent heavy barrel and a 2 inch vent barrel....all are very accurate and are great guns.

Fatelvis

Richard Simmons, first, I have to say, I love to sweat to the Oldies! LOL Seriously though, I just bought a lightly used 357 Supermag, it has a round tang, for the grip. I'll be shooting it this week with my handloads (180 grn XTPs over 4227,for silhouettes) and I'll post the results here. I really hope it shoots accurately. I had a 44 DW a couple years ago, (used) and it spit lead like a mutha! I got rid of it. I hope it was an isolated incident! We'll see....

Peter M. Eick

Palmer is just down the road from Monson.

I have only seen one Palmer in my life. I can see why folks say "avoid them".

I will be shooting my Monson 15 this morning. Great guns!

Also the current manufacture (Norwich) is in my opinion better then the Monson guns. Don't sell the Norwich guns short. They are very very good and use forged parts.

BigBoar

I seem to remember a Model 12 somewhere, too. It was either a .38 or .357. Glad you found the number designation for the "Lil Dan".

The barrels and shrouds should interchange for the same model. If you just desire a different shroud configuration for the same barrel length just get the shroud. One caveat: some years ago I remember ported barrels and shrouds were offered so if the barrel is ported so should the shroud be.

On the large silhouette models some shrouds were offered that had part of the sides milled out to reduce weight. Don't know what the model number was on that.

Somewhere some years back DWA also offered some special tuned models as production items. I vaguely remember the "Gold Series" or some such. I think they were Model 15's and maybe 715's. I don't know if many were made.

Richard Simmons

Recently saw a DW offered on one of the auction sites and it was listed as a "Gold Series". IIRC it was an M15. I'm thinking there was something about them in one of my Gun Digest, maybe a tuned DA trigger pull? Think I'll start browsing the boards and auction sites for a Non Vent 2.5" barel and shroud for mine.

BigBoar

You're correct - the trigger was tuned. I believe the double action was supposed to be around 10 pounds. Seems to me there was another model that was tuned that was down in the 8's. I don't recall the name, though.

SIGSHR

The Model 12 was the original Dan Wesson-I have one with the outside barrel nut (looking for another-boy are they rare.). The Model 12 has what is
called the "pork chop" barrel shroud, phased out in 1974 or so in favor of the style we know today. The two styles of shrouds are not interchangeable, the barrels are. I read sometime ago on another website that the Dan Wesson revolver was actually designed by a man named Karl R. Lewis, he also designed the Colt Trooper Mark III and the Browning Lever Rifle. He seems to have been a par with John Browning or William Ruger, though he obviously did
not insist on having his name on his designs. The first of what we know as the Dan Wesson he designed around 1952, though I recall in the 19th Century
the Merwin and Hulbert revolver had interchangeable barrels, a long one for
target or holster use, a shorter one for "pocket" use. Look up "Karl Lewis" on
Yahoo, you'll find that website.

mec

2003 production reports show 943 revolvers produced by Dan Wesson that year. I do not know if the company is still in business but it was founded by one of the Wesson (S&W) family members and remained in the family for a few years. It has gone under and been revived several times and Taffin wrote about a new Dan Wesson company in his 2002 book "Big Bore Handguns." At one time, the revolvers were big in the metallic silhouette game and the company went under because of the disappearance of that sport and, according to Taffin, competition from the Freedom Arms revolvers.

Early DWs were very accurate but displayed a few problems. The double action trigger stacked and felt fairly odd to shooters used to smiths and colts. Most of the revolvers came with or quickly developed timing problems- particularly failure to carry up. The cylinders were generally somewhat out of plumb with the barrels and shrouds and, while the revolvers were accurate, they tended to shift groups horizontally with different loads. One producer of the design was notable for producing copies of the old highstandard target pistols and the luger. He was not noted for any investment in making guns that actually functioned and sought protection from his creditors when the bills came due.

Taffin seems to believe the most recent owners of the DW line are or were producing the best quality guns of the design.

Ozzieman

I owned one

I liked the gun, and the way it was put togther, BUT
It was as reliable as a 2 dollar saturday night special.
With that said I was young and stupid so I dumped it.
What I diddnt know was that the firing pin was chiped from before I bought it from being dry fired so much.
The person that bought it from me knew of the problem and replaced the firing and after 25 years still has the gun and still thanks me from time to time.
Lesson learned: :confused:

Great info! :)

My Father has a Dan Wesson and I promised to do some research for him. He showed me the gun this past weekend as we ate like Kings (my Mom's an awesome cook!)

I'm a semi-auto nut, specifically Sigs, so I couldn't help him much. I knew the members here could though, and I told him I'd ask when I got back home.

The only markings on the gun were:
Dan Wesson Arms
357 mag ctg
3573xx
Monson, Mass

He has the styro box, barrel tool and manual. The manual lists the following model numbers: 14-2 Service, 714 Service, 15-2 Target, 715 Target.

I see in the post above that the 714's and 715's are stainless. My father's is blued. I wasn't able to get a picture.

Any info regarding model, history and possible value would be greatly appreciated. He has no intention of selling ... nor do I once it's passed down, he's just curious and now so am I. :)

Last edited:

Richard Simmons

If it's a fixed sight it's a 14-2, Model 15-2 if adjustable sights. Either way it should have a paper sticker on the end of the styrofoam carton with the information on it. I'm betting by the serial number and the Monson address it's every bit of 20 years old. My 15-2 is serial number 307xxx. It was nearly mint, LNIB with the same accessories and carton as your father's. Cost me $299 and don't feel that I over paid one bit.

Much appreciated RS. :)

The rear sights are adjustable, so 15-2 it is. She's in pretty good shape. He purchased a dozen or so years ago with a speed loader and a crappy nylon holster for $100. :D

I'd like to buy him a nice leather holster for Xmas ... any suggestions for OWB or shoulder rig?? I've read shoulder rigs are all about the back straps, yes?