Dan Wesson Guardian - Pics

KyJim

I purchased a Dan Wesson Guardian just before Christmas. It's an aluminum framed 9mm that is beautifully finished. I've had it out to the range three times now and I am still breaking it in. Rather than doing a range report, I thought I would post some pics:

DW_Guardian_9mm_DSCN9584.jpg

DW_Guardian_9mm_DSCN9587.jpg

DW_Guardian_9mm_DSCN9591.jpg

DW_Guardian_9mm_DSCN9592.jpg

Finally, meet the Dan Wesson family:

DW_Group_DSCN9603.jpg

Amin Parker

Congratulations.

I would assume that Dan Wesson products are made to the same high quality as CZ pistols?

We do not have it in South Africa yet but the cz distributor has said they will be arriving shortly.

Amin Parker

ZombieSlayer please dont scare me. Lol

Considering a Glock 9mm costs around US$1700 over here, i find your comment terrifying.

Im sure it will be worth it though and im looking forward to their arrival.

Ps, we have not recieved Kimbers etc that you guys have all over the place.

zombieslayer

Wow! In that case, it will likely cost you a few! A Glock is around $5-600 here. I just paid $1500 for my Dan Wesson. The DW is one of the few guns that I have, for which I was willing to sell a few guns to acquire.

ttheel

Bought a black Dan Wesson VBOB myself in December. It is one sharp pistola. The new DW's are some fine 1911's: hand fit 70 series frame and slides, forged frames, slides & barrels, hand fit match barrels, Zero MIM parts, all premium parts. According to Dave Severns from Severns Customs the current Valor series has better quality small parts throughout than the Les Baer TRS which he sells both of. He also says that the new Duty Treat black finish on the DW's is much better than that on Baer's.

Last edited:

KyJim

Thanks for the compliments. It sounds funny to talk about the price of the Guardian being a good value, but it is in the world of high quality 1911s. Maybe not as good a value as the CBOB I bought the year before, but that's another story.

The Guardian is a very sweet shooter. I thought I had trouble with the slide not locking back but Keith at DW suggested my high, thumbs forward hold might be interfering just enough to cause this. So, I tried it yesterday and paid close attention to my hold and the slide locked back fine. I had a couple of failures to return to battery (FTRB) but believe it may be ammo related as there was no such problem on my previous trip using different ammo.

That's one thing about 9mm 1911s. Some of them can be picky with ammo because the 1911 was designed with a longer cartridge in mind. Anyway, for now the Guardian is a range toy and I'll get the ammo/FTRB issue worked out. For serious defense work with a 1911, I like .45 acp. My other two Dan Wessons (both .45 acp) have been 100% reliable with everything I've fed them.

Deaf Smith

Wow! In that case, it will likely cost you a few! A Glock is around $5-600 here. I just paid $1500 for my Dan Wesson. The DW is one of the few guns that I have, for which I was willing to sell a few guns to acquire.

Me to Zombie. I got a DW CBOB .45 made before CZ got the company. Best 1911 I've ever had and I've had quite a few!

Pity I can't find and old CBOB 10mm with a P series serial number. I'd love to make it a pair of 'em.

And guys, I'm a Glock man. But a well put together 1911 does have some good things to offer.

Deaf

zombieslayer

My girlfriend and I asked to see the DW Guardian at a lgs and she fell in love with it. Its my understanding that the black Duty finish comes standard on the Guardian. And it has really nice trigger.

ttheel

What type of finish is that?

It is supposed to be a molecular level process which actually blackens stainless steel. It is not a coating. Supposed to be one of the best finishes on the market. Dan Wesson says it is the best finish they have ever offered.

Jamas

I've been looking at getting a new 9mm for a while now, and thought I had narrowed down my choices. You sir just threw a wrench in the wheels of my planning, and I will be waiting intently for a range report. That thing is GORGEOUS:eek:

Kreyzhorse

It is supposed to be a molecular level process which actually blackens stainless steel. It is not a coating. Supposed to be one of the best finishes on the market. Dan Wesson says it is the best finish they have ever offered.

Very nice. I assumed it was a coating of some type.