Dan Wesson for a CCW?

old_yout

At the moment this is a purely conceptual question. I don't have a Dan Wesson (although I'm thinking one in 44mag may be in my future if I find one at a good price).
I'm used to carrying a hefty piece and I've been led to believe that the Dan Wessons are large, so that's not a problem. The real difficulty I might foresee is the cylinder release.
Having never handled one I'm not sure whether I'd be able to get used to its position. Do you think it might slow down a fast reload? Speaking of which, would a conventional speedloader work with a Dan Wesson? If not, are there speedloaders available that would work?
Are there any other reasons why I might want to reconsider a Dan Wesson for CCW?
Thanks,
S

Mag

The speedloaders will work with Dan Wessons. I would think a Dan Wesson 44 would be a bit large to conceal, though. I think with practice the Dan Wesson could be reloaded fairly fast as the left hand in some techniques is used to open the cylinder and the latch on the crane falls readily to hand (pardon the pun). You do want to locktite in the screw retaining the latch, though, as had one fall out on me once on a .357.

Mag

C.R.Sam

I sometimes carry Smith 27s or 29s concealed. The Dan Wesson big un is only a tad larger.

Think HKS #29 speed loaders will work on the Dan W.

Rapid reloading would just be a matter of practice. Shoot with a friend who can restuff his D.W. .44 right along with the autoloaders.

Sam

Hemicuda

C.R. Sam has it right... the HKS #29 works with the Dan Wesson .44 Mag's...

:pROBLEM:

If your Dan has the original "large wood grips" you'll have to get a Hogue or a Pachmyr grip, as the original wood grips do not have a notch for the speedloader, and you can't get it inline with the cylinder very well, without that notch!

(I'm qualified, since I have .357 and a .44 Dan Wessons.)

Hemicuda

Shhhhhh......

Sam... you are letting out the Dan Wesson Owners secrets...

thass ok... a few mins with a file,and then some sandpaper (you'll see where, whenya try to use the speedloader) then some stock oil (type of your choice) will fix that Dan Wesson grip...

Swamp Yankee

Speedloaders already addressed.

Now to that pesky cylinder release. As a loyal Dan Wesson accumulator, I'm still trying to figure out why all the other manufacturers put the cylinder release back on the frame and not on the crane. It just feels natural to me for it to be there.
In short it all boils down to what you're used to and how much you practice. If this gun or any gun for that matter does become a carry piece, you should practice with it to the point that all functions are second nature anyway.
Take Care