Dan Wesson Firearms

41special

I've been looking at used Dan Wesson revolver's. I was suprised at the pricing. As in it seemed Low.

Are their any to watch out for ?

Are they of generally good qaulity ?

Thanks,

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"

Ozzieman

I had one and it was nothing but problems

It seemed like a good gun, the gun diddnt have that many rounds through it but load 6 rounds and most times you couldnt get all 6 to fire. Replaced the main spring, had a very good gun smith look at the firing pin and go over the entire gun.
Got it to the point that it would fire 99 out of 100 but for a revolver thats really bad, so I dumped it. Picked up a python.

dr.magnum

I've owned a couple Dan Wessons and had very good luck with them. Their finish is not up to old S&W standards, but accuracy was great,as was dependability. Parts are still readily available. The company closed for awhile, but has reopened since it was bought out by some loyal customers and they now are making revolvers and 1911 style pistols. Check out any used gun, you never know how it's been treated, but Dan Wessons are usually good buys.

Hal

Dans can be an exceptional find - if you can adjust to the D/A trigger.
Mine was kinda funky compared to a Smith. I gave it to my friend Jim because he noticed how much like his GP100 the Dan trigger felt.

Most Dan's shoot laser beam straight.

True, the finish (bluing) isn't up to the older Smiths or Colts - but it's a step up from a blued Ruger.

Majic

If there is a DW to watch out for it is the ones made in Palmer. That was when they were having troubles and it showed in their revolvers.

PKAY

Do a search of this forum on Dan Wesson revos. There were some interesting threads some time ago dealing with the history of the company including a period and location when the quality was less than one would expect or demand. There were later comments regarding the company's revival and improved quality.

The allure of DW revos was the Pistol Pack with its interchangeable bbls. A nice looking gun, and many a shooter think the used ones are under valued compared to S&W and Colt.

41special

Well so far it seems pretty give or take!

I'm going to have to think about it.

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"

Tom Matiska

Didn't see the 414 listed anymore. Always thought the lack of companion rounds hurt the 41 MAG with reloaders. A 5 shot(maybe 6?) 41 Special snubbie, along with a largeframe revolver and carbine that can handle 41 Mag/414 Wesson would put the 41 in my collection.

1406 miles from home on my NOKIA. Thank You TFL for keeping this site low tech.

NRC

dw 715 from Monson was a good one

I bought a 715 (stainless, 357 mag) locally a year or so ago for ~$350.

It had an 8" bull bbl and I shot it in a couple of ihmsa matches (standing 100yds, and Big Bore 200 yards). It was one of the ones made in Monson, Mass, and was marked as such on the frame.

I never shot it DA, but SA it was nearly the most accurate revolver I have fired, in the range of a freedom arms. The SA pull was a measured 2lbs, with no take up or overtravel.

My 8" bbl had a fast twist, 1:10 and was designed to shoot the heavier bullets. It would consistently group 170gr Sierras into 4" with open sights at 100 yards off sandbags.

My Dad has it currently, and when he's ready to trade again I will get it back.

44mag@ucnsb.net

My father has a .44 magnum Dan Wesson in the Pistol Pack setup. It has 4 barrels, 2", 4", 6", and 8" lengths... being an avid magnum fan, I love shooting this gun the little that he brings it out. I will one day inherit it and will enjoy shooting it even more. This gun is very accurate and comfortable to shoot. I personally do not own one purely from a cost standpoint, the ones that catch my eye, are always too expensive.

Ninjato

My wife has a DAN WESSON 715 target 4"

It is exceptionally accurate w/ microgroove rifling but it is finicky about being clean. The tolerances are tight and the gun starts to jam up if you leave the fouling on. Other than that, it shoots well. The trigger is Python"ish" but not as clean and does stack a little bit towards the end of the trigger travel.