Dan Wesson fans--is this a good deal?

JohnKSa

Administrator
A local shop has a Dan Wesson revolver "kit" for sale @ $850--I figure he'll probably come down to $800.

It includes:

• Original fitted Case Looks like it was set up to hold an 8" a 6" and maybe a 4" barrel besides the revolver & the other accessories.
  • Dan Wesson 744 with original & Hogue soft rubber grips. It's in very lightly used condition with some very light, purely cosmetic scuff marks but no detectable wear. I could take the scuff marks out with some fine sandpaper in about 10 or 15 minutes and leave the gun looking brand new. SN is SB013XXX, IIRC
  • Unfired 8" barrel.
  • Unfired 6" barrel.
  • Lightly used 8" vented barrel.
  • Lightly used 6" vented barrel.
  • 8" heavy shroud.
  • 6" heavy shroud.
  • Belt Buckle.
  • Barrel Gap Gauge.
  • Multi-Tool for adjusting sights, trigger, & swapping barrels.
  • Manual

Majic

Four barrels and two shrouds? If so then not a bad deal. Check location of factory. I don't remember if they made SS guns in Palmer (which I tend to avoid).

wdelack

Sounds like a very nice 744 pistol pack, with extras. If made in Monson, Mass, I would say it's a good deal. Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it. You can also get new 4" and 10" barrel/shroud assembles from Dan Wesson for that model.

Peter M. Eick

If it is a Monson or a Norwich then that is a very good deal. If it is a Palmer gun check it carefully, but it still may be a good deal.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Thanks for the feedback!

Umm... :eek:

How does one go about determining in which factory the gun was manufactured?

wdelack

The place of manufacture will be listed on the right side of the gun, above the serial number. If from Monson, Mass the manufacture name will be Dan Wesson Arms. From Palmer, the manufacture will be Wesson Firearms Inc. I believe the Norwich, NY produced guns will be Wesson Firearms Inc as well. Some say to pass over the Palmer produced guns in favor of the Monson and Norwich versions. I have not handled/fired a Palmer so I can't confirm or contest any quality issues.

Good model information can be found here -> http://www.danwessonforum.com

kamerer

That sounds like a good deal. I sold a little fired/unfired 15vh (smaller framed .357 Vented Heavy barrel/'multi barrel') "pistol pack" around Christmas for $1100 via GB. A scarcer 744 with four barrels, etc. in the pack is more desirable. Sounds like you have all the accessories, and it's a decent buy. As they said above, "Monson" is the most desirable.

The 15's were more regular, the packs came with 2.5", 4", 6", and 8" barrels. The 744's were more custom and could come with the above arrangement, or be custom to have what you described, two different barrel styles in 6 and 8". So that's likely why the packing doesn't match the barrel lengths - that was likely a very special order by a hunter/silhouette shooter.

Dan Wessons are real joys to own and shoot. No regrets. He did the family name proud, if even as a rebel.

jbaldwin

I have a Palmer produced 738p which I believe is the only location that produced this model. I like this little revolver but the fit and finish is not at the level of my Monson and Palmer guns.

As Peter stated look the guns over good I wouldn't necessarily pass up a deal solely location.

Jody

LD1.jpg