Dan Wesson Arms

Hemicuda

Anyone here familiar with them... I have been a fan for years, and have a model 15-2 HV in 357 madnum, with a 6" barrel,

and a Model 44 HV, in 44 magnum, with an 8" barrel.

these guns are both of good quality, in excellent shape, and both seem to have come from the factory with sub-3 lb trigger pulls, in single action mode... :D

bluetoe

Yeah, I like DW's too. I'm trying to get a pistol pack in .357. Want the full-barrel underlug. Shot them at the range quite a bit. Don't understand why they're so cheap compared to S+W's and Colt's, even though they're made in the US too.

PugetSound5

Yeah, they're nice...

BluToe, I have a used 15 VH. Excellent piece and beautiful finish. It's about the heft and weight of a S&W L frame I think (from having been shopping around for CCW holsters). The blueing is such a gorgeous shiny deep blue that I have remorse putting that gun in a holster. But a gun has got to do what a gun has got to do...:D Fast/smooth trigger. Came with 2.5", 4" & 6" barrels. Exactly like having 2 different guns (got no use for the 2.5" barrel and that gun is the wrong heft for a snubbie anyway). New parts are available from DW and interchangeable with older pieces (shrouds, barrels and barrel nuts). The new Dan Wesson Firearms company kept the grip fastening system so there are plenty of grips available from Hogue and others.

DW is a small shop I think, and it's not a bad thing. I asked them a few email questions and they were prompt and detailed in their answers. Going out of business twice has probably hurt the brand. I also think that many people just plain don't like the idea of a removable barrels system. For my part, I like it now that I have practiced with it a little: change barrel 2 mns (I'm slow and paranoid with the feeler gauge!), change grip: badabim badaboom Papa got a brand new gun. :p

Since I acquired mine, I have looked into this a bit more, and finding .357 Pistol Pacs in new to very good condition is relatively easy, if you're patient enough. For some reason that I cannot quite fathom, it would seem that many people bought these guns and did not fire them, or fired them very little. Maybe they were seen as collector's item? A very bad calculation then, because they are by no means collector's stuff: they are build to shoot and they did not retain high resale value. This last point is cited by some as a DW drawback, but I see it as a bargain :D.
Moreover, I would argue that DW used prices are close to a good used S&W in the same category, so it's not that bad.

With my gun came the original brochures that went with the .357 Pistol Pac, describing the different options and model codes available. If you're interested, I will scan them and post them here, if it's OK with the moderator.

PS5

Last edited:

bluetoe

Sure, that would be cool if you could post those. You're right, the bluing on DW's are gorgeous.

I think a lot of people seem to think that DW's are a cheap rip-off of S+W's, which they're not ( I've heard people say this). Either that or it's because they haven't seen it in a movie, or heard anything about them.

I know what you mean about being paranoid.:) I think I almost had a heart attack when I changed a scope block on a BSA martini that I had. The bolts were really screwed in tight. Had to use an ez-out on one. I was sweatin' that one. It's funny how stuff I really love (like the martini) winds up causing me the most stress.:D

Big Lou

I purchased a DW .357 Mag with 6" barrel about 20 years ago. It shot great and looked great. I ended up giving it to my father so he'd have something better than a little cheap POS .25 auto.

PugetSound5

Dan Wesson Arms .357 mag brochure.

Sure, that would be cool if you could post those

I'll ask the moderator if there is a way to post multiple (6) attachments in the same message. I haven't been able to do it.

PS5

Hemicuda

so there seem to be a few DW fans out there... now to find one of the large frame 22 cal DW's... that would make me happy...

Brian Busch

Dan Wesson Rules!!

dw2.jpg

MikeS

Brian,

Could you provide a bit of info. on the grips: Type of wood and
manufacturer?

I have a new DW .357 and a .460 and would like to replace the
rubber grips.

Thanks,

Mike

PugetSound5

DW Arms (Monson MA) .357 brochure page 1

Page 1 of 6
My apologies for posting this in 6 messages. It's apparently not possible to group multiple attachments (from a hard drive, not url based) into one single message.

PS5

Attachments

• dw-page1.jpg
    dw-page1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 148

Brian Busch

The grip is a cocobolo Hogue Monogrip. I have two barrels for this pistol, the 4" one pictured and a lightened 8" barrel. The thing drives tacks with either barrel. I paid $400 for the pistol with the 4" barrel, $80 for the grip and another $300 for the 8" barrel assembly. Worth every penny.

JoeHatley

I've owned Dan Wesson revolvers for over 20 years. I can highly recomend them and really enjoy the matched set I currently have.

Both are small frame, blue, with 6" heavy vent rib barrels. One is a .22 and the other is a 15-2. A few extra barrels and shrouds, some with scopes, makes for a very versitile set.

The best part (for a buyer) is the lack of resale value respect these guns have. I've got almost nothing invested in this pair, compared to my Smiths or even my Rugers.

Maybe someday the buying public will get wise, but until then I'll keep enjoying the bargins that seem to be everywhere.

Good Luck...

Joe