Dan Wesson 41 Magnum CTG

Long Beard

I've been considering another revolver, that mentioned in the title, and thought I'd get some thoughts. A local dealer told me that the .41 is a tough caliber to keep on stock. Is that true or simply a local thing?

JustJake

I've been considering another revolver, that mentioned in the title, and thought I'd get some thoughts. A local dealer told me that the .41 is a tough caliber to keep on stock. Is that true or simply a local thing?

Quite true, and that was back during "normal," pre-panic times.

The .41 Mag is an excellent "middle magnum," very accurate and versatile.

But unless you reload for it and are already heavily stocked up on components (specifically brass and bullets), it's a teetering dinosaur edging toward extinction. :eek:

jetinteriorguy

If you handload it’s an excellent caliber. Hardly teetering on the edge of distinction unless thousands and thousands of handloaders haven’t got the message yet. Plenty of components available from many sources. I was at the local Cabelas last week and the only ammunition available was six boxes of Buffalo Bore .41 mag bear loads and some 12 gauge shells. And Henry has been producing a.41 mag lever action rifle for a few years now. Ruger also makes both a Redhawk and Blackhawk as well.

Long Beard

Thanks for the replies. I do reload, on an old single stage Lymann press. If I'm in a hurry, or need lots of rounds, I use my brother's RCBS progressive. While I still have three or four boxes of magnum pistol primers, bullets are another thing compounded by the hoarders.

MarkCO

Just to be sure, there is a .41 Remington Magnum and a .414 SuperMag. The later was chambered in Dan Wesson Revolvers for IMSHA competitions, and it is rare.

I have both calibers and shoot both, although more of the .41 Magnum than the .414SM.

jetinteriorguy

Right now components are tough but when things settle down there are several sources. I did just pick up a thousand Hitech coated from SNS not too long ago. Brass from Starline will eventually become available again. The only powder needing magnum primers that I can think of is H110/W296, and possibly IMR4227. For plinking I use Green Dot and for magnum loads I prefer 2400. These are for your typical 210-220 grain coated or plated bullets. Bear Creek makes some really nice coated bullets and have a 190gr HBHP that I’m thinking of trying, it does take a while to get stuff from them but with a little patience they do get them to you.

JustJake

you don't need magnum primers for .41 if you use AA9 or 2400 mate.
I use CCI mag primers when using AA#7 in my near-extinct S&W M58. ;)

When using Unique, I use standard primers, and typically that's for loading 210gn coated HC boolits to the old "Police Load" velocity.

MarkCO

Yeah, go ahead and try and find a .41 Mag Lever action in stock somewhere. Been waiting on one backordered by my LGS for over 6 months.

ballardw

Yeah, go ahead and try and find a .41 Mag Lever action in stock somewhere. Been waiting on one backordered by my LGS for over 6 months.
A few years ago it took me 8 months just to place the custom order in (limited as to where as I was using store credit/ gift certificates to order). "The guy that does orders isn't in today".