Dan Wesson 357, 2" 4" and 6" Buy?

Sir William

A fellow has a DW 357 Magnum with three barrels for sale. $350.00. Is this a good deal for both of us? Blued, adjustable sights, oversized target grips in walnut smooth, boxes, front insert target sights and tools.

Hal

It's a good enough deal.
Just make sure you like the Dan, cause you may end up having it forever.
I never got used to the funky D/A trigger on mine though.
Dan's were and are great guns and a great value for the people that like them.

Richard Simmons

Be nice to know what model but I can't see how you could go wrong. It's like getting three guns for the price of one. I've seen similar offerings on the auctions sites in the $500-$600 range.

Swamp Yankee

Most likely a Model 15

If the gun is a Monson, Mass in real nice condition, 95% or better that's not a bad deal. As previously stated, DW's though very well made, and extremely accurate do not retain much resale value.
If you like it, buy it, that's not a bad price for either buyer or seller.

Take Care

LH2

If the gun is a Monson, Mass in real nice condition...

My Mom's getting older and doesn't really shoot anymore. She gave me her DW .357 6" to take to the range for a workout. Pretty gun! It says Monson, Mass on it and it's like NIB. I think she bought it around '78. How do I tell if it's a Model 15?

SA trigger is fine, but the DA trigger is okay at first, then it STOPS. Big hump before breaking. Pretty annoying. Was this common on DW's? Would an action job be a good idea?

Majic

LH2, if the revolver is a medium frame about the size of a S&W M686 and the barrel nut sits inside the shroud then it's a M15.
The DWs do have a different feeling trigger stroke. It's something you have to get used to. You can polish mating surfaces of the frame, change out springs, but you have to be careful of polishing action parts. You can purchase new action parts and they can be polished as they are now forged steel. The older parts were cast metal.

SIGSHR

The main difference between the DW M-12 and M-15 is the barrel shroud.
The M-12 has what is called the "pork chop" shroud which has an extension
that fits on the front of the frame, with a small dimple that matches a corresponding stud on the frame, the M-15's shrouds are straight with no extension. Also the first model DWs had an outside barrel nut, the shroud had no recess for an internal barrel nut. The two styles of shrouds are not interchangeable, the barrels are. The M-12 had larger hex head sidescrews, the ones from the M-15 do not fit, too small. Also the M-12 had a different style rear sight with easily adjusted screws, designed for a coin rathes than
a screwdriver. The barrels are interchangeable between the two, to the best of my knowledge the lockwork is identical. I have had my M-12 for 30 years, my M-15 for 26, don't worry about resale value, you won't want to sell it.

MADISON

Dan Wesson 357, 2" 4" and 6"

$350.00 would be a good deal if the Dan Wesson Case goes with it.
A friend of mine placed a 3 gun set on consignment for $300.00. No case.
People were not familiar with how good a Dan Wesson model 15 is, so they did not buy it.

Nail Shooter

I own a Monson, MA Dan Wesson in 357. The only thing I'm sorry about is that I did not buy more barrels for it way back when. Shot silhouette with the 8" bbl, still have the gun--never thought about selling it. Accurate, strong, good looking gun, and you can adjust the bbl to cylinder gap. Like another guy said, they can benefit from a little stoning and springs. Some have the most beautiful bluing/polish jobs ever put on handguns.

I've read the ones made in Palmer were not up to the standard of the Monson made ones. For $350 I'd go for it if it is minty.

Sir William

I bought it. It is a M15-2V. I paid $300.00 for it. The revolver has had a action tuning. It is as smooth as my S&W M19. Recessed cylinder is a neat feature. Mint condition. The odd thing is the front sight inserts. 6" is yellow, 4" is white and the 2" is red. Is that normal? It points well. The smooth target grips interfere with HKS 10-A speed loaders though. I will have to check into Pachmayrs. Nice revolver.