Dan Wesson 1911 Owner's

tonyz

I am looking to possable buy a Dan Wesson Pointman Major in Stainless Steal. It is a target model with everything my Kimber Eclipes target has. Could you please tell me how your experiance with your Dan Wesson 1911 has been. What was the cost of your Model, what do you think the resale value might be.
I have seen the pointman major, blued, none target model and was very impressed with the over all quality.

Thanks

Tony Z

jem375

TonyZ......I bought a DW pointman major a couple of months ago, and was disappointed in the bullet weights I have to shoot in it....It will shoot 230 gr. ball ammo and will not shoot my 185 and 200 gr bullets that I mostly reload for my other 45's.....I contacted DW and they said that it is set up for IPSC/IDPA Matches and they shoot 230 gr. bullets mostly..........If I want to shoot the lighter grain bullets, I will have to have it re-throated either at the factory or a gunsmith.......If I send it back to the factory, they want a bullet of the lighter weights that I intend to shoot through the gun..........I have decided to keep it and shoot the 230's, and it is really accurate and still have to break it in....only have about a 100 rounds through it now.......Make sure they send you the newest owner's manual and not the old one for takedown purposes.....all in all, it is really a nice handgun, and you will enjoy it............have fun.......... I paid $725 for mine, I think that was a little high, but, was selling at that price where I live..........good luck............

nyetter

I bought mine NIB for $600 plus shipping and fees, found it on GunsAmerica. I'm not sure how much I could get out of it if I wanted to sell it, but I don't much care because I have no desire to! I wanted a stainless 1911 with adjustable sights. I looked at the Kimber Stainless Target at about $800, the Springfield Loaded with LPA sights for about $700, then saw the DW and jumped on it.

My experience has been very positive. My first trip to the range was disappointing. It seemed to recoil heavily and I couldn't group well with it. But that was all me, not the gun, and to be expected as this was my first .45. Starting from the second range trip, I started shooting better groups with this gun than any gun I had owned or shot up until that point. And with a little practice, the recoil became easily manageable.

I've made a couple of changes to mine, just a one-piece guide rod, 18.5lb recoil spring (and matching firing pin spring), and 19lb mainspring. I also painted the front sight dot bright yellow. The one-piece FLGR was just to simplify disassembly. The lighter mainspring took the trigger from "good" to "excellent", it was already crisp but now it's light too.

Yet, the pistol has its quirks. The grip safety is nickel-plated, not stainless. This has no functional impact, but the color doesn't quite match. The pin that holds the rear sight has a tendency to back out. My first one got lost, so I called the factory and they sent me 3 spares. The one I installed is starting to back out again! The factory is aware of the problem and is sending some customers (including me) a new design of pin to try. I bought a case of S&B .45 to shoot in it, and it's worked great. However, when I tried some of a buddy's SWC reloads, every round jammed. I've heard it said that the Major is only set up from the factory to feed 230gr ball. Doesn't much matter to me, I'm willing to play with it and have it throated if necessary.

The bottom line is, I love my PM Major and eagerly recommend it. In fact, I really want another one in 9mm!

Shmackey

I don't understand the logic of setting up a good 1911 to be able to shoot only 230 FMJ. It's not any harder to make a barrel throat (assuming it's not an even bigger issue) that will take other profiles.

I'd heard bad things about 1911s taking non-RNFMJ bullets, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that my Kimber devours SWC reloads without a hitch.

tonyz

I no that there are a couple of post about the PointMan not feeding 200 SWC. I called the company and talk to the customs shop, they told me that the pistol are throated for all bullet types. I have also talked with several folks on the 1911 forum who have had no problem with there DW's feeding all bullet type's.
I am sure that Dan Wesson is willing to pay the freight and get these pistols shooting all bullet types. I have also heard turn around time is 1 to 2 weeks, not bad at all if you were to have to use there services.

Does anyone know the differance between the Pointman Seven and the patriot?

Tony

Double Tap
smilie_vampire.gif

Last edited:

SamColtFan

Tonyz.....
The Patriot has a forged frame and slide. The Seven has a forged slide and cast frame. However, some (very few) Sevens were produced with Patriot frames as the Patriot was being phased in. The Patriot has an external extractor and is said to feed just about anything. Whether it's a Patriot, Seven, Major, or Minor these are awesome pistols.
Regards,
Sam

PS: My buddy's new STS Major shoots SWCs and Black Talons just fine, straight from the factory.