Dan Rather showed a pro-gun statistic! (Followed by depressing California local news)

thaddeus

This Evening with Dan Rather had an article about guns in small towns and how they have no crime even though guns are a large part of the culture. Dan Rather stated that they wanted to be fair and show both sides of the issue. They even put a statistic up that "each year more than %99 of all guns are NOT used in crimes". Then the article was about Ranchers, some of whom have huge gun collections, and how they would be punished by gun laws. They interviewed Ranchers who stated that Columbine was unfortunate, but they they new it would result in gun laws. They of course said that "their guns were not the problem, criminals were and lack of morals etc" and exclaimed how they as honest gun owners would be punished for unrelated incidents (and very few of them).
The only thing I would have liked to see would have been a rancher using an accurized Colt "assault rifle" for his varmint gun. That is the gun I would use, and it would have shown how "assault rifles" are nothing more than evil looking hunting rifles. Oh well, we can't have it all.

Here in San Diego the local news followed with coverage of the new "assault weapons" ban which is guaranteed to be signed in soon by our governor along with the "one gun a month" bill.

They interviewed a gun store salesman who mocked the "assault weapons" bill, showing the camera an extendable stock on a Colt rifle and stated "is banning this stock, and forcing people to use a fixed stock going to save lives? Is it going to make this rifle safer or less deadly? I don't think so."
The new California bill would include the ban of sales of hi-cap mags, period. Can't buy them, can't sell them, punishable by felony, but for now we can keep them. "Oh thank you, mr. government, for kindly allowing me to keep my mags for now".

Then the news article followed with a phone poll that was done by a local survey company. The survey asked "should gun control laws be more strict". %66 said "YES!". %22 said the laws should stay the same, and the meager rest said that they should not get any worse.
Then, among gun owners specifically polled, %49 said that there should be more strict gun control laws!
Who ever said that California doesn't suck? The people here, as I have said before, are beyond hope. San Diego is probably the most conservative city in this Republic and they are obviously anti-gun. It is a losing battle here, and I do not see the future of California as being anything other than totally gun free.

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
They even put a statistic up that "each year more than %99 of all guns are NOT used in crimes".

(beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep)...

(click... ring... ring)

Hey, L, Fitz here... not bad, yourself? Great... Say, I was wondering, have you laid in orders of ice skates and Coleman stoves?... Uh huh... yeah, that's what I thought. Oh, nothing, just thought I'd check... yep, see ya on New Year's Eve.

(click)

------------------
You can't get something for nothing,
You can't have freedom for free.
--Neil Peart

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited July 14, 1999).]

Contender

The sad part is that California wouldn't be "gun free" as you say. The criminals and gangs will still be armed and able to prey on the disarmed populace.

I'd rather see a "Sigarmed" populace myself.

2nd_amendment

When will they learn? How many people are going to DIE!!! Before they figure otu that gun control will never work. Gun control is nothing but a hypothesis , a hypothesis that has been disproved time and time again.
Washington D.C. has a ban on handguns and they have one of the highest murder rates. Wake up gun grabbers!!!!
( stepping up to the soap box)

I SAY IT NOW AND I SAY IT AGAIN NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO BE SITTING ON THE SIDELINES, IT IS EVERYONES TURN TO GET IN THE GAME!!! IF YOU ARE NOT A PART OF A PRO-GUN ORGANIZTION, BECOME ONE. JOIN THE NRA, GOA, SOMETHING ANYTHING.
ROUGHT TIMES ARE ABOUT TO BE UPON US!!!!!!
(stepping down)

2nd
I'm the NRA!!!

Jeff Thomas

Well, I don't know about a 'Sigarmed' populace, but it would appear that CA is working on a 'Sig heil' populace. The bozos deserve the results. Damn shame that fine, intelligent Californians get stuck with the absurd results as well.

Paul Revere

Take this a bit further. Get a little Global strategy going. If someone (or some power) has a desire to one day take over the United States of America, where would they land their troops? On the coast of course.

Now, how do you make that landing safe? You disarm the populace along the coast, lease strategic formal Naval bases to the Red Chinese (which by the way was attempted by the Clinton regime), and you own and manipulate the source of national propaganda, the media (Hollywood is located on the coast too remember).

Then the takeover becomes academic. One needs to think about the long term effects of these legislative measures in California and their effect on our national security.

Isn't anyone else looking at these things long term?

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
Isn't anyone else looking at these things long term?

Well, it depends on what your definition of "long term" is...

Not so subtly: The people working on this plan know *exactly* what they're doing, and they're the ones taking the long view.

WJC: Proof that the Hindi are right about reincarnation.

------------------
You can't get something for nothing,
You can't have freedom for free.
--Neil Peart