Damn Gunbroker

NGIB

Been looking for a Dan Wesson .357 to go along with the DW .22s I have. So I'm surfing the sites early this morning and there's a DW .357, Monson made, with a reasonable buy it now price. I passed up a few others that had good buy it prices and when I checked back later they were gone.

Locally all I've found is ones in pretty poor shape at asking prices more than what I paid for this one. I have a good selection of grips and I already ordered the 2 1/2 inch barrel for this one which gives me a .357, albeit a large one, for carry if I desire...

Attachments

• pix1058386250.jpg
    pix1058386250.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 247

Grandpa Shooter

When you see something on Gunbroker it doesn't hurt to make a bid close to the Buy it Now! price. It might just get you the gun for that little bit less. I have done it twice now and both times won the auction. Just takes a little patience.

GUNKWAZY

When you see something on Gunbroker it doesn't hurt to make a bid close to the Buy it Now! price. It might just get you the gun for that little bit less.

Not the best line of attack if you really want something.
I've seen it time and time again where someone thinks they may save $20 by bidding just south of the BIN price and hitting the reserve and then end up paying more for the gun or losing the gun because they met the reserve and the BIN price went away.
Now the bidding ends up going way over the original BIN price.
If you want something or need something and the BIN is more than fair, don't let it get away to save $10 or $20 bucks.
Unless you just like playing for hours on Gunbroker.;)

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

NGIB

I always look at the BIN price first to see if it's reasonable. I've bid on a couple of auctions and have had no luck as the price quickly exceeds what I'd pay. I'd been looking for a DW .357 for a while and while this wasn't a bargain, it was reasonable.

It's rare to find a reasonable BIN price on any of the auction sites though. Last month I saw a very nice DW .22 with a BIN of $300. I already have a pair but about an hour or two later I was going to look at it again and of course it was gone...

Grandpa Shooter

Going on Gunbroker is like reading the old Sears and Roebuck catalog. It's a dream sheet. Nothing on there I gotta have. I come across something I'd like to have, bookmark that auction and go back once in a while. Put in a bid for less than the "Buy it Not!" price and see what happens. If I get it that's fine by me if not, "Oh well!"

Nothing I can't do without except coffee and Girl Scout cookies.

Sgt.Fathead

I, too, stay away from GunBroker; too many things pique my interest but there's nothing I really need. If I'm not buying new, I really prefer to handle the piece anyway.

NGIB

I'd much rather inspect them in person myself which is easy if you're looking for common stuff like Sigs, XDs, Glocks, etc. For the rarer stuff, the auction sites are the only viable option. Haven't got burned yet but I expect I probably will at some point.

I just need to go to GB less often as I always find something I'm looking for and the old wallet isn't infinite by any means. I wonder how many guns can be considered enough???

bluetopper

My opinion, gunbroker is great. If your looking for a gun no longer in production, it's priceless. I'd wait years trying to find a particular make and model waiting for it to appear at the scant few local pawn/gun shops around here. 9 times out of 10 you can look and gunbroker has it.
And contrary to a lot of folks good deals can be had.

Just this week I bought with "buy it now" a nice Smith model 14 Target Masterpiece for $279.

NGIB

Well I'm 4 for 4 from Gunbroker now. Picked up the Dan Wesson .357 this evening and it's in great shape and very clean. The posted picture looked pretty bad but the description said great. I took a chance that the seller was like me and can't take a good picture...

IMG_DW357-X.jpg

Last edited:

cimarronvalley

Gunbroker

I picked up 10+ firearms off GB in the last year or so. Many of them I thought way under bid and did not expect to win. Unfortunately I won most of them.

- NIB S&W 625-8 45ACP for $680
- Slightly used (couldn't tell it) S&W 625-2 45ACP with box for $355
- Savage 12FV varmint in 22-250 NIB for $402
- Slightly used Ruger 77 RSI in 270Win (when it arrived it was in new condition without a mark and beautiful wood) $435.

Check the dealers costs on these puppies and tell me I didn't get bargains. Just bid on the ones without reserves and be calm.