Dakota "wing style" safety for mauser

hooligan1

I'm looking at making this modification on a mauser bolt so it'll be done before the smith recieves it.
I guess my question is has anyone tried this install, and if its a quality made shroud?

Scorch

Yes, the Dakota swing safety is nice (same for the PTG swing safety). You have to notch the bolt very precisely for the safety to work. But it looks so nice after it's done. I did one for a customer and liked it so much I did one for myself.

hooligan1

Scorch, I can't find anything on the PTG swing safety. I have found the NEC at Midway, along with the Dakota.
I thought the cocking piece is where the work was, but you said bolt needs grinding?

hooligan1

Scorch I emailed PTG, and the lady there was so helpfull, going with that one for shore. Not scared about the milling, and I like the looks and price.

Scorch

Yes, the gal at PTG is very helpful. You will like the shroud design, it looks very nice. You end up having to mill a small notch about .270" from the lock notch on the bolt body. Not difficult at all.

We had to install the Chapman swing type safety on our Mausers. Those three positions ones are better.

BTW, we had to do the Chapman because they were the most difficult. The school figured that if you can do the hardest one, the easiest ones should be no problem.

Clark

Yes, the Chapman is $11 cheaper than the Wisner, and it only takes an hour of skilled grinding to get the Chapman to look like a Wisner.

hooligan1

I ordered the PTG 3position wing style shroud straight from Pacific Tool and Gauge today, pretty nice folks over there.

hooligan1

Oh I wanted to add that my last mauser build, I put a Timney Beuhler style safety on it, but after firing a couple rounds it wants to back out, so I drilled it with a .032 bit on my Dremel, and put a strategically bent piece of "buzzbait" wire to ride that shroud collar, works but still wanted an improved trigger for this turkey creedmore, which sounds like that name will follow it home...Turkey Creedmore...helluva name.;)

Polinese

Not to hijack but will this safety work on a commercial mauser with the little side safety or would I need a whole new trigger?

Scorch

It will work, but it would look better without the stamped sheet metal safety lever poking up out of the stock.

Polinese

Well I meant uninstall the little sheet metal safety and have this one installed. Wasn't sure if that would work

hooligan1

Sure it will work but what would make you want a wing style when your rifle already has a scope friendly safety? Mine doesn't and I don't want a Timney Beuhler style safety. So then a safety type shroud is an option, and I really like my model 70 safety, my trigger will be a Timney Sportsman.

hooligan1

Recieved the shroud, and so far all my bolt work has come out perfectly, only thing left is a little cocking piece work and done.
Really nice shroud Scorch....thanx.

hooligan1

After some dremel and stone work, I have the PTG 3 position "wing style" mauser safety done, until the Timney gets here and maybe some sear work on that . This is a very nice looking safety shroud, Wow! ,,,

hooligan1

Dis regard the Timney trigger for now, I took the trigger that was replaced by a Timney Featherweight in my daughters Mark X, and worked it until I have a tiny creep(really unnoticeable) just a hair under 3lbs, and the safety functions flawlessly and with a mauser type trigger that feels really nice..Range and hunting for this rifle, btw.

Also I found that a mauser action can be fired from pushing or pulling trigger....but that adds a pound of pull.:D