Daisy BB Gun Recall

Roadrunner

You may want to check this out if you have bought one to give as a Christmas present.

CPSC Files Lawsuit Against Daisy Manufacturing Co. To Recall Two Models of Daisy's Powerline Airguns Due to Defects

Daisy BB Gun Recall

This is just a portion of the press release:

October 30, 2001
CPSC CONTACT: Scott Wolfson
Release # 02-029
(301) 504-0580 Ext. 1189

WASHINGTON, D.C.- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) today filed an administrative lawsuit against the Daisy Manufacturing Co. (Daisy), doing business as Daisy Outdoor Products, of Rogers, Ark., seeking a recall of 7.5
million Powerline Airguns. The lawsuit seeks to compel Daisy to notify consumers that the model 880 and model 856 Powerline Airguns are defective, and present a substantial risk of death or injury to anyone using the airgun. Daisy has refused to
voluntarily recall these BB guns, which have been sold since September 1972 in sporting goods, department, and hardware stores, as well as on the Internet.

CPSC's staff has learned of at least 15 deaths and 171 serious injuries that have been attributed to alleged design and manufacturing defects in Daisy's Powerline Airguns. About eighty percent of those who have been killed or injured by the
airguns were children under the age of 16. Children have been killed after being shot in the head or chest. Other children have been seriously injured after BBs punctured the heart, spinal cord, or skull, causing paralysis and brain damage.

CPSC began an investigation in May 2000 following reports that Daisy had made changes to the model 856 Powerline Airgun in order to correct potential design defects. The lawsuit filed by CPSC staff alleges that Daisy's Powerline Airguns are still
defective because BBs can become lodged in the magazine of the airguns, even though the airgun can appear empty. It is
foreseeable that a child, believing the BB gun is empty, could play with Daisy's Powerline Airgun in an unsafe manner. The stuck BB can then become dislodged, causing death or serious injury if fired in the direction of another person. CPSC staff believes that all 856 and 880 model airguns sold by Daisy have this defect.

The CPSC lawsuit also contends that Daisy's Powerline Airguns' failure to incorporate an automatic safety system makes the BB guns defective. Daisy's Powerline Airguns currently have a manual safety button on them.

One of the many tragic incidents that CPSC learned about involved John "Tucker" Mahoney, of New Hope, Pa. On May 24, 1999, Tucker and his friend were shooting a model 856 Powerline, two days after he had received the airgun as a gift for his
16th birthday. CPSC staff contends that as a result of a defect within the airgun, a BB remained lodged inside of the airgun's magazine, unbeknownst to Tucker or his friend. Believing the airgun was unloaded, Tucker's friend pointed and fired the airgun at close range. The hidden BB became dislodged, chambered, and struck Tucker in the head. Tucker was severely injured and
is now in a near vegetative state. In February 2001, Daisy settled Tucker's product liability lawsuit for approximately $18 million
dollars.

CPSC staff believes that it would cost $2 per airgun to correct the defect that causes BBs to become lodged in the loading mechanism and to put an automatic safety device on the airgun.

CPSC staff filed the lawsuit against Daisy under Section 15 of the Consumer Product Safety Act and Section 15 of the Federal Hazardous Substances Act. The administrative complaint does not seek a ban on all airguns or all Daisy airguns. The complaint seeks a recall of these two models of airguns which staff believes are defective.

CPSC's case will be heard by an administrative law judge.

ENC

Wait lemme get this straight they are getting sued because apparently when you point the weapon at somebody and pull the trigger it can, in fact ......fire

Holy Cow :eek:

We should have never let such a product onto the market

I believe that Daisy's defense should be something along the lines of pointing out the warnings on the packaging and the included list of 10 commandments of Gun Safety

Lavan

Hey what have we been thinking????

If we dropped BB guns in Afghanistan, they would all shoot their eyes out by Monday.

Great, just great. I have an original Daisy 880 and my brother's 881. We got ours in '74 or '75. Now, after all this time, I learn they are dangerous! Maybe I can work a trip back to the factory for this? I enjoyed it when I was 10!

gRAVEdgN

I observed this problem with my shiny new 880 when I was 10 in 74. Never had a problem because I NEVER pointed it at any body and treated it as loaded all the time. Like my dad taught me.
Looks like a lack a parental supervision problem to me.

Ric

Paul K

HUmmmmm.... gun saftey is gun saftey.... why was he pointing a BB gun at the kids head? it IS a lack of parenting.
However, i dont like the fact that a bb can be stuck in one, when i want it emty, i want it emty.
Argh... i want a new BB gun anyways, somthing CO2 powerd.

radom

If I recall corectly the one I had 30 some years ago would leave a BB in the action at times when you opened the bolt, the bolt was magnatized so it would retract a chambered BB most of the time. But as the pellets shot better than the BBs I usualy used the pellets though the steel BBs did have better oil drum penetrating ablitys. Anyone for a lead pellet with a steel penetrator core?

Subby

Speaking of which, does anyone have a Powerline 860(NOT an 880) in good condition they'd like to part with?

Sub

Paul K

Hey! i Just remberd! my bb gun does it too! Mine is a Red-Ryder, and its lever action.. a bb does get stuck in there, i never had a problem because there is a hole there so that you can see if the chamber is emty.
how can a kid be a vegtable via a bb gun? mine isnt powerfull enough, and nither are any of my friends.... hummm:rolleyes:

xxena

Unbelievable.....

Are diehard gunowners the only ones left with commonsense...

You give a kid a BB gun and don't supervise or teach him gun safety - why not give the 6 year old the keys to the car and money for gas....

Can these people be ANY MORE STUPID ?

What's next straws cuz you can shoot peas through them if you spit hard enough.....

I've often heard people say you cannot legislate morality or intelligence - but I'd like to give it a try. :mad: - at least the intelligence/common sense part.

Waterdog

Stupid people... what are we going to do with stupid people?

Hmmm... give BB guns to all of them, then let darwin takeover.

Waterdog

yorec

Oh yeah, the Daisy Powerline. Some twenty years ago I had a friend who got a new Powerline for his birthday. He was showing it off to me one day and pointed it at me. I told him not to be pointing any gun at a person he wasn't going to shoot and he, to show me different, shot me in the stomach. Boy was he shocked when I beat the P*** out of him - claimed that the gun was unloaded, he had made sure of it! He wouldn't believe me until I showed the 4.5mm brass ball to him latter through the tiny hole in the surface of my skin. Being a dumb kid I never told anyone about it for several years and I still carry that BB as a reminder of gun safety first and always. He carries a white patch of scar tissue over his left eyebrow where some rock rubbed him raw while he was eating gravel...

Some lessons are learned hard, but I never thought of the incident as the result of a "defective" bb gun, just a defective friend that needed "fixing."

Joe Botz

dumb ass parents,,probably did not own any firearms,,the parents of the moron shoud be sued by all bb gun owners