Daewoo

stevelyn

I have a Daewoo K2. The DR200 is a PC thumbhole stock version of the K2. They will kick an AR's arse around the planet. The AR is a little more accurate than the Daewoo due to the latter's AK/SKS gas system, but the Daewoo will keep chattering away long after the AR gagged on a speck of dust.
It is what the AR-15/M-16 should have been.

Unfortunately they're not imported anymore due to the knee-jerk-response import ban President "One Term Wonder" Bush issued by EO back in '89.:barf:

Stripping the "sporting purpose":rolleyes: clause from the '68 GCA would allow reimportation of these and other fine rifles.

Samuel2001

Actually, Daewoos are the bastard child of an AK and an AR! They seem to have the fire control group of the AR as well as mag well, but the gas system is kinda like the AKs. And like someone else said, They Rock! ;)

wayne in boca

Yes,they rock.Think AR but with a gas piston instead of direct impingement.Stays clean and even has an adjustable gas regulator like a FAL.Solid and dependable,the downside is that no spareparts are available.Mine hasn't broken yet.

joshua

Yup it's a AR/AK mix. I see them all the time where I work in ROK. I wish I can shoot them. Most of the SoKor guys guarding our building have the short barrel version. Looks like forged aluminum lower with a stamped upper. As I remember back in the late 80s and early 90s where they were still widely available, most of the articles have them as reliable and some can give the AR some competition. I'd like to see a heavy barrel Daewoo, but I'm thinking they are all slower twist instead of 1x9. josh

281 Quad Cam

I also heard they are outstanding rifles, which definatly outperforms the AR as a combat weapon. The consequence of the gas piston is slightly reduced accuracy, but far greater reliability and maintainability.

Daewoo also makes a 7.62x39 version which takes AK magazines.

scheirere

Yep they have a 1-in-12 twist barrel as far as I can tell. Not exactly sure but that's what I've been told. Mine wont shoot 62gr ss109 loads for crap, key-holeing even at 50 yards. Tried 69gr sierra matchkings once and they wouldn't even stay on a 24" piece of paper! With 52gr match ammo mine will shoot under an inch. Best 100 yd. 3 shot group was easily covered with a dime, which is pretty good for a service rifle. Still not as accurate or versatile as my Colt AR15s with 1-in-9 twist barrels. Haven't put enough rounds through mine to comment on reliability but it should be pretty good. As for spare parts I think you can canabalize some AR parts like the bolt heads and I believe the extractor is the same. So the most common wear items shouldn't be that bad to replace. BTW, I believe the 7.62 x 39 version is the DR300.

Ceol Mhor

I had a K2 for a while. While the DR-200 has a twist of 1:12, the K2 is 1:7.9. The DR-300 (in 7.62x39), BTW, uses proprietary franken-mags, not AK mags.

I compared my K2 bolt parts with AR parts, and while they are very similar, none of them will interchange between the two rifles. They do use standard AR mags and bayonets, though.

Also FWIW, the K2 and DR-200 have 18" barrels and AK-style long gas piston actions. The shorter K1A1 (with a collapsing wire stock in place of the side-folder) has a 16" barrel and uses an AR-style direct gas impingement action.

The DR-200 thumbhole stock really sucks, but Ace Ltd makes a pistol grip furniture set for them.

In a nutshell, Daewoo rifles are excellent. If you shared a border with North Korea, you'd make damn fine rifles too. :)