Daewoo K2

ronl

Finally picked up one of the rifles I really wanted, a Daewoo K2. They are really nice weapons. It is accurate and dependable. I did a little trigger work on it and the trigger is really nice. I think I like this rifle even more than my AR or AK's. Anybody else own one of these fine weapons?

Jo6pak

I've had a Daewoo DR200 for more than 15 years and probably near 8,000 rounds. Never had a failure of any type attributed to the rifle. I did have a few misfeeds tracked down to a bad mag.
As accurate as an AR with less maintenance and no ammo issues.
As depenable as an AK with better ergos.

Mine wears an early version of the ACE stock, stormwerks rail, and Primary Arms M3. (EDIT: Also has 90 degree selector)
DR200withoptics,comp.JPG

One of the most under-rated rifles in the world.

Check out DRP for parts and accessories
http://www.daewoorifleparts.com/

Last edited:

wayne in boca

I have a K2 and and a DR200.I have the Dr200 equipped with Ace folding stock w/K2 grip,repro K2 flash suppressor,and a 90 degree selector.The only mod I ever had to do to the K2 was the 90 degree selector.Maybe the perfect 5.56 carbine.

Jo6pak

I have a K2 and and a DR200.I have the Dr200 equipped with Ace folding stock w/K2 grip,repro K2 flash suppressor,and a 90 degree selector.The only mod I ever had to do to the K2 was the 90 degree selector.Maybe the perfect 5.56 carbine.

That reminds me, I forgot to list the 90 degree selector. best mod I've made to the rifle.
I've been meaning to install a real flash hider also, and possibly shorten the barrel a bit too.

Te Anau

For the life of me I can't figure out why nobody imports Daewoos anymore.They make some of the best guns in the world!
Help us out Century!!!

Last edited:

stevelyn

For the life of me I can't figure out why nobody imports Daewoos anymore.They make some of the best guns in the world!
Help us out Century!!!

Daddy Bush..... '89 import ban and BATFEces thugs. :mad:

I have a K2 that I picked up just as the '94 AWB was going into effect. At the time I was actually looking for a short AR at the time. I've since been convinced that the Daewoo is a superior design taking the strong points of the world's military rifles and incorporating them into one design. It could stand a little modernization the same way the AR has evolved, but the basic platform is solid.

It'd be nice if they could start importing K2 parts kits into the US as I'm sure the market would respond with the manufacture of US made parts to comply with BATFEces rules.

Heh............ Even a few made into SBR K1s would be nice too. :cool:

I've pressed mine into service as a patrol carbine when needed and went through a police firearms instructors course using it.

These are Korean, with a AK style upper and a AR style lower, sort of right?

Kinda sorta, although there is no doubt about them being Korean. :D

They more or less incorporate the best features of the worlds military rifles. AK type gas system. An upper that seems to be the love child of an FNC and M-16, HK style front sight, but beefier.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of the AR features had to do with the fact that Korea was already producing M-16s under license when R&D for the Daewoo was going on and they wanted to keep some of the features especially the magazine compatibility with the M-16 and minimize retooling.

Last edited:

Jo6pak

These are Korean, with a AK style upper and a AR style lower, sort of right?

Yeah, pretty much sums it up.
Daewoo (actually pronounce "Day- you") took several proven designs and meshed them into a new assault rifle.
Lower reciever and FCG very similar to the M16. Bolt/carrier assembly resembles a cut down M16 bolt. Grip, trigger, selector, bolt release button are all damn close to the M16. Many parts are interchangable.
Long stroke gas piston nearly identical to the AK design.
Tunable gas port of the FAL or FNC
Folding butt stock very similar to an AR18

Best of all worlds.

Heh............ Even a few made into SBR K1s would be nice too.

Like this?
http://daewoorifleparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=7

I wish some company would manufacture a K2/DR200 style upper for an AR.

SR420

Jo6pak

I've been meaning to install a real flash hider also, and possibly shorten the barrel a bit too.

I did this, but only shortened it enough the re-thread and re-crown the barrel.

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4500-1.jpg

The results are outstanding.

flairdevil

MAXII

Not to hijack this thread, but there is very limited information on the net (or I don't know where to look):

I inherited a pre-ban MAXII (looks just like the AR100 in this thread) model of this rifle, imported by Stoeger, MD which I am interested in selling. Does anyone have input on where to go to sell such a rifle? Online? Local gun shop? FFA dealer privately? The rifle is in nearly new condition and has only been fired a handful of times. I do not collect guns, thus basically have zero use for it.

Thank you!

Jo6pak

I'd try to find someone who is looking specifically for a Daewoo. I know that's not much help, but since these rifles are rare, you may not get much for it on the "normal" market. Most places will offer you much less than it is worth.
Last time I saw a DR200 for sale it was $950, and the AR100 are generally worth more than that.
Think of it as a specialty market, most shootiers won't pay much for an obscure rifle with limited parts availability when they can get an M-4gery for less. But, there are guys out there looking for them.

Check out this site, or maybe even put it up on their forum.
http://www.daewoorifleparts.com/
If I remember correctly, there was just a guy looking for one recently

I'd love to make you an offer, but don't have the funds right now.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Jo6pak

I'd rather keep the piston of the K2. (Not to start a whole D.I. vs piston arguement, but I'm just a piston guy.)

I think there is a Max1 on the DRP site for sale. Just send it to Derek an have him SBR it for you:cool: