Daddy's .32

Saint Dennis

My father left me a Harington & Richards .32 top break. The latest patten is 1896 on the top of the barrel. I can't see anywhere on there which .32 it shoots. A .32 colt long fits in the cylinder, but seems sloppy. Anyone know what cartridge these magnificent mechanical marvels digest?

seeker_two

I'm betting that it's chambered for the .32S&W cartridge....unlikely that it would be rated for .32S&W Long....and don't even THINK about using .32H&R Mag in it.....unless you like handling live grenades.....

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
Saint Dennis,
If you provide the stamping in the top of the barrel rib, exactly as it is stamped and the serial number, I will be able to provide quite a bit of information about your revolver including production year, within a couple years or less. The "full" serial number will be found under the top strap - you will need to remove the cylinder to see it.
If there is NO cartridge designation stamped into the left side of the barrel it was made before H&R switched to smokeless/Nitro powder capable guns in 1905. It would be chambered for the .32 S&W and .32 H&R Long BOTH black powder. The Colt cartridges should not be fired in this gun - they are heel crimped and too small for the chamber and bore.

Saint Dennis

Thanks 32mag, that would be awsome. I had to drag out the cheaters but here you go:
HARRINGTON & RICHARDS ARMS COMPANY WORCHESTER MASS USA
PAT. OCT, 4, '82. MAY 14 & AUG 6, '89. APRIL 2 '95. APRIL 7 1896. SER NUMBER E9440X (X BEING A NUMBER BLANKED OUT BY ME)

pmeisel

God bless you Jim, I have seen your good work on other forums.

RIP Bill Goforth. And my best wishes to those of you who keep these guns alive. I own a couple and want more.

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
Saint Dennis,
You have an AUTO-EJECTING 2nd Model 5th Variation (1897-04). With the 'E' letter prefix, your piece was made in 1900 thru 1901. Probably late 1900. As stated before, it is a BLACK POWDER capable firearm, not made to shoot smokeless/Nitro powder loads. This variation was the last of the 2nd Models (all black powder) and led to the 3rd Model smokeless capable guns (1905-42).
Here's a pic of a couple of these (note variation is listed incorrectly on the pics - labeled during early research - changed later when more examples were available) so others can see what we're talking about:

IMG_1822_2.jpg

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
pmeisel,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm doing what I can to spread the word about H&R - all that research needs to be disseminated or it's worthless.

Saint Dennis

That's the one. I have the chromed version but not nearly as nice of shape as yours. I wont shoot it. Thank you very much for the info. I wish dad was alive so he could know what he had. I do not know the history of the gun. It alway sat in his drawer. He wouldn't repair it. He said he suffered from depression and didn't want a working handgun around.

32 Magnum

Member In Memoriam
St. Dennis - NICKEL plated. Chrome plating wasn't used until 1950s, and then only for a few years. You're very welcome - glad to help out - AND thanks for thanking.

Usertag - we're talking REVOLVER - the "SELF LOADING" .32 ACP semi-auto pistols are in a different H&R category. Any question(s) about those?