Dad wants a SA revolver

chris in va

I know very little about SA revolvers, just that he likes the 'birds head' grip style for some reason. Big western fan.

I'd like to get him something in 45 Colt, probably short-ish barrel so he can hold it up better. Just turned 65 this year.

I don't suppose there's anything built well for around $400? The Uberti caught my eye but seems to have reported issues. Does Ruger still have the Vaquero?

One more question, until I get a mold specifically for the 45 Colt, can the Lee 452-228-1R mold (45acp) be used?

JonathanZ

You can find a quality used gun in great condition for around $400. That beats buying a poor quality brand new gun.

Here's an example of one I found tonight on a forum where people buy and sell guns in Georgia.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?56464-Ruger-New-Model-Super-Blackhawk-.44-MAG

It's not exactly what you are looking for, but it's an example of a very similar gun. I wish I had the $425 for it.

And yes, Ruger still makes the Vaquero.

JonathanZ

No, they don't. I would imagine you could find the grips and replace them. Won't be able to keep it under $400 though.

You should be able to find a birdshead vaquero for around $400.00 on the used market. It's pretty darn hard to wear out a Vaquero so used should be fine and if not, Ruger will take care of it. Beware of .45Colts, they have a wide variety of throat sizes and you have to nail the right combination to get good accuracy.

Wleoff

I've had a couple of the old Vaquero Birdhead Sheriff models for years and really like the way they shoot, even with "descent loads." I'm 64. Though not in current production, the Birdhead Vaqueros come up often on auctions and special runs for Lipsey or Davidson's. Ruger also made the Birdheads in 32 Mag. I've got a couple of these, but no pictures. These photos are for the 45 Colt model.

VaqueroSheriffOne.jpg

VaqueroSheriffTwo.jpg

Crunchy Frog

A friend of mine bought a pair of the plain finished Uberti Hombre revolvers from Ray Tanner (dealer) for $250 each. I shot them and they work just fine and you can't beat that price. Here's a link to one of the GunBroker auctions:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=240152577

If you want a birds head revolver contact Long Hunter Shooting Supply. They now handle the Cimarron Thunderstorm; Long Hunter's ad in the July Cowboy Chronicle says the Cimarron revolvers start at $459 which includes an action job. Here is Long Hunter's site: http://www.longhunt.com/index.htm

EdInk

I like a standard grip Vaquero. Do like the Bisley at all. If he wants a Birds Head get him one. Look on the used market for the price. My LGS has SEVERAL types of Birds Head single action revolvers. Some I believe are even NIB Vaqueros. (Don't hold me to it though.) I know they had somekind of nice looking casehardened looking Birdshead in there this week. (Didnt really look to close because I'm on a modern gun kick right now.)

If you are interested send me a PM and I'll give you the name and number. I don't know how/if they do out of state sales (other than having to send it to an FFL) if you don't come in the store and pay for it in person BUT you could call and find out.

FWIW you can't go wrong with any of the Ruger single actions.