Dad wants a gun

chris in va

He just turned 67. I've had him out where I live for some gun range time, and he took a shine to my CZ.

He's not really looking to spend $500 right now though, and I suggested a Ruger for about $300. As I reload thousands of rounds a year, I suggested he get a 45acp as I can make some loads mild as 9mm but he would still have the option of store-bought SD ammo for home defense.

My question, are there any of the P series that are considered better than the others?

bigghoss

The P345 isn't as good as the P90/97 IMO. The safety broke on mine making it DAO. They also have a mag disconnect and internal lock which I just dislike in general.

Jim243

Finding a P-97 will be a tough one. They stopped manufactering them in 2004. I have one of the last ones made and they are good guns. The only current offerings are the P-345 and the P-95 (9mm).

If you can talk him into a 9mm, I would go with the P-95. Else you are looking at going over your budget.

Jim

hornady

Funny reading your post, yesterday I met a guy from another forum, at my local gun shop. He transfer his P-89 over to me. The gun was in like new condition with 4 mag,s leather Bianchi holster and extra Hogue grips very cheap. I now own a Ruger P- 89, 90 and 94, in the past I have owned a p-85 and a p-89 I trade the first P-89 and 85 a couple years back. Regretted it, thus the new p-89. I have never had a minute of trouble with any of these guns.
Now is the time to pick up a p-Series gun used cheap, With a record number of concealed carry licenses, people are trading in the bulkier p-series for the Ruger SRs or other brands of smaller guns. If your father is getting older I would recommend the 9mm over the 45. I am a firm believer range time will make up for the 9MMs smaller size. You reload so cost is not an issue, but pushing that 45 bullet down range even reduced loads can get un-comfortable after a couple boxes of ammo.

Auto426

The current P345 is polymer framed, while the now out of production P90 was aluminum framed. There was also the P97, which was similar to the current P95 but it also has been out of production for a while. Those are the only .45 calibers in the P series that I know of, and that only leaves you one real option if you want to purchase a new gun.

For around $50 more your father could get a S&W M&P in .45, which is a little bit more refined than the Ruger. I think everyone around here knows the reputation of the S&W.

bigghoss

Finding a P-97 will be a tough one. They stopped manufactering them in 2004.

They're actually pretty easy to come by and run $200-350 or maybe a bit more depending on condition, trigger type, and finish. I could of had 2 blued P97dc's off auction arms on Tuesday for ~$500 total. Gonna hit a gunshow on Saturday and see if I can find one locally.

mooney1el

I have no comment on the p series, and further have no real right to make this comment, but it struck me as I was reading your post. I comment as if it were my Daddy.

It's your Dad...give him the CZ and chock it up to father-son relationship and go find yourself a new one.

If it would make you both feel better, charge him his allowable $300 but only if he insists.

TheGoldenState

My P345 is perfect. Bought it off a friend to help him out, didnt shoot it for a year or so. Man was I impressed. Accurate, easy recoil, not bad to field strip and clean.

I'd highly recommend it.

EDIT: If it were me, I'd do exactly what he just noted ^^

armoredman

What CZ did he like? Might be able to find one like it for him?

Any Ruger auto is going to be built like a tank, that's for certain, and though they didn't fit me right, they certainly seem to work just fine.

bigghoss

I gave my dad a bunch of guns over the years, including my S&W 19-3. It was just like the one he used to carry as a cop and he was always hounding me for it.

I don't think the P345 is a bad gun necessarily but between the issue with mine and the nanny features I just didn't really trust it. If they made a P345dc without the mag disconnect and internal lock (and hopefully changed the LCI but it's not a deal breaker) I would buy 2. Heck just loose the lock and I'll pull the disconnect myself.

pgdion

I recently bought a KP345 last time Gander had them on sale. I like it a lot, it performs well and it's lots of fun to shoot. They're on sale again but they run $499. I can think of some really nice guns down to about $400 but not really anything at $300 except maybe the Sigma. But those only come in 9mm and .40sw. Cougars are really nice and run $400, and can be had in 9mm, .40sw, and .45acp (I think the .45 version is about $420 though).

NESHOOTER

I have no comment on the p series, and further have no real right to make this comment, but it struck me as I was reading your post. I comment as if it were my Daddy.

It's your Dad...give him the CZ and chock it up to father-son relationship and go find yourself a new one.

If it would make you both feel better, charge him his allowable $300 but only if he insists.

I have done the same and know even though I have other siblings....I will be getting all that I gave him and all of his reloading equipment I also got for him...

You not regret it live for today not happens tomorrow.