da trigger pull

lomaxanderson

is it possible to lighten the pull on a 686...without ruining anything...i have a 686 2.5 that i'd like to have the trigger done ...would it be best to send it to S&W or find a local smith? any good ones in sc? also thinking bout bobbing the hammer for da only...thoughts or experencies appreciated

KyJim

Since nobody else has answered . . .

You can get spring kits to help lighten the pull. However, inexperienced amateurs messing with the springs often leads to light primer strikes, meaning a failure to fire. Dry fire it a lot and see if this helps. If not, get a gunsmith to give it a professional action job which means polishing and not just clipping a spring. SW is an obvious choice. As far as local smiths, I can't help.

My real question is, why bob the hammer? There are only two reasons I can think of to bob a hammer:

1. For pocket carry so the hammer won't get caught in clothing. I can't imagine pocket carrying even a short barreled 686. They are just too big for any of my pockets.

2. Certain police agencies have bobbed the hammers to make sure the officer doesn't fire single action. They wanted a long, heavier trigger pull to avoid accidental discharges under stress. If you don't want to fire single action, that's fine. You don't have to bob the hammer, however. You will also likely lessen the resale value. You'll also miss the joys of a carefully aimed, deliberate shot hitting a target at medium and long rage distances.

jad0110

get a gunsmith to give it a professional action job which means polishing and not just clipping a spring. SW is an obvious choice.

I 2nd that recommendation. A smooth, crisp DA trigger with a clean break will feel much lighter, but still provide plenty of striking power for reliable primer ignition.

Most post war S&Ws have decent (not great) DA triggers IMO, but even my 1959 K-22 could benefit from a professional action job.