DA/SA????Xplain please

Status
Not open for further replies.

I hear DA and SA alot what do they mean? SA I gather is safty but what the heck does DA mean??? I would appreciate any clarification thanx.

JackNKoch

SA means single action. DA stands for double action. This refers to the function of the trigger in regards to hammer cocking. The 1911 Government .45 pistol is a SA because the hammer must be pulled back by one's thumb or by chambering a cartridge before the trigger serves its purpose. The Beretta 92 9mm pistol will fire with the hammer from its fully forward position just like a modern Smith&Wesson revolver. After a round is fired from the .45 the hammer will remain cocked until it is slowly lowered with the thumb while pressing on the trigger or the trigger is pulled without a live round in the chamber. The Beretta, like most modern DA auto pistols, has a safety which lowers the hammer safely for you when applied. The SA auto pistol does not lower the hammer but the hammer is prevented from movement by the trigger while the safety is on. Some pistols are DAO or Double Action Only. This means the hammer is safely lowered with the return of the slide for every shot. Glocks are an example of a striker fired pistol. There is not a traditional exposed hammer on the Glock. The safety is mounted on the trigger and is considered passive. The trigger pull is shorter and lighter than a true DA. The trigger pull also remains the same during firing if you let the trigger fully return. The Glock is not a real single action either because the hammer is partially cocked by the action of the trigger I believe. All three of the trigger actions have advantages and personal choice and the intended role of the pistol play a big part in picking the right one for you. I have mainly described these terms as they are used in semiautomatic pistol terminology. This is how they are most often used. However, SA, DA, and DAO can refer to revolvers as well. If you're interested in discussing the advantages and disadvantages of each action, I'm sure you will get plenty of responses. The Beretta 92 9mm pistol is also refered to as a DA/SA pistol which means the trigger only needs to pull back the hammer on the first shot . After the slide cycles from discharging the pistol, the hammer remains cocked until it falls on a defective cartridge which fails to fire or the hammer is manually lowered. The trigger pull becomes shorter and lighter after the first shot just like SA. This DA/SA action is the traditional method as opposed to DAO of double action pistols. Hope that helps clear things up.

[This message has been edited by JackNKoch (edited November 15, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by JackNKoch (edited November 18, 1999).]

stdalire

189:

This is verbatim brief explanations of SA/DA from Colt Site.

SINGLE ACTION - A firearm that requires the hammer or striker to be cocked manually before pulling the trigger to fire it. On Colt revolvers, this is done by pulling the hammer back to the cocked position. On Colt single action pistols, pulling the slide to the rear initially cocks the hammer. The firing of the pistol, with the resulting cycling of the action, cocks the hammer for each successive shot.

DOUBLE-ACTION - Pulling the trigger both cocks the hammer and releases it to discharge a firearm. In double-action revolvers, pulling the trigger also revolves the cylinder.

Addendum:
Fast Action - this features is with the Daewoo DP & DH models for their 9MM,.40 & .22 Caliber. Where the pistol be cocked and the hammer returned to normal position on safety-on or safety-off, but when you squeeze the trigger it will go back to cocked position to strike the firing pin.

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by stdalire (edited November 15, 1999).]

Matt VDW

My quick and dirty explanation:

SA = Single Action = the trigger acts only to release the energy stored in the firing mechanism

DA = Double Action = the trigger both adds potential energy to the firing mechanism and releases it

Ben

on a revolver, SA means you have to cock the hammer with your thumb.

DA revolvers mean you CAN cock the hammer with your thumb, OR you can pull the trigger and that will cycle the hammer each time.

SA semi-autos, you have to cock the hammer for the first shot by either racking the slide, or by thumb cocking the gun for the first sht (assuming there is a round in the chamber). You only have to cock the first shot because all the subsequent shots will be cocked by the recoiling slide.

DA means that the hammer is cycled every time you pull the trigger. It can also be thumb cocked. On a semiauto, the first shot is DA and usually the subsequent shots are SA unless you buy a DOA (double action only).

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Status
Not open for further replies.