DA/SA that allow external safety to engage while de-cocked?

Pistoler0

My two EAA Witness (Tanfoglio) pistols have a thumb safety that can be engaged when the hammer is down, which completely locks the pistol. I like this configuration for AIWB carry as I think there is no conceivable scenario in this universe or any other parallel ones in which I could blow my family jewels off.

I think that H&K P30 and P2000 are the same way, and apparently so are Berettas. However Berettas for me have the drawback that the safety is flipped up for "fire" whereas I am used to pistols in which the safety must be pushed down for this.

CZs are available with an external thumb safety, but it can not be engaged if the pistol is de-cocked.

Are there other DA/SA pistols that allow the safety to be engaged when the hammer is de-cocked?

Last edited:

jmr40

The Classic Smiths, Beretta 92 series, most of the P series Rugers. That type of safety/decocker used to be pretty popular, but has fallen from favor because the safety operates in the reverse manner that most people prefer. It's just not a natural movement to flip the safety UP to disengage it.

It's been a while since I fooled with HK, but they and FN both used to offer a safety that could be used as both a decocker and a 1911 style safety. I assume they still offer those versions.

And with a heavy DA trigger pull similar to a revolver there is no reason to have a safety at all. The Sig style decocker with no safety was beginning to become the preferred system, but today pretty much all DA/SA pistols have taken a back seat to striker fired guns.

For a while striker fired with no safety such as Glock dominated sales. But I'm starting to see quite a few striker fired guns with very good triggers now using a 1911 style safety. The new military M17 and M18 pistols use this. For me this is the best design.

TunnelRat

Some P30 models have a manual safety, not all. I’m unaware of any P2000 with a manual safety. The USP series includes a decocker/safety that can function as you mention (in the more popular variants, this can be changed to be decocker only or safety only).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistoler0

FN FNX-9.
Thank you,
I did not about the FNX series.

Too bad they don't make them in a compact or carry version!

I'm starting to see quite a few striker fired guns with very good triggers now using a 1911 style safety. The new military M17 and M18 pistols use this. For me this is the best design.

I like that design too, I think that striker fired with a 1911 safety is a great versatile operation system and I got a pistol like that.

But for carrying inside the waistband, where you cannot always see what is going on, and there is clothing, clothing strings and movement, I like the added layer of a de-cocked DA/SA with a thumb safety that locks the action.

It has already happened to me when carrying my striker with a thumb safety that I have found that the safety had been disengaged somehow. It has happened with shoulder carry and also with AIWB.

Last edited:

Pistoler0

TunnelRat, I looked into the USP before (you are right about the P2000).

Are you saying they offer a version where once the pistol is de-cocked, the thumb safety disengages the double action feature? That's what I am looking for, but I didn't think the USP could. I thought the thumb lever was either a de-cocker or a safety (1911 style).

Last edited:

TunnelRat

It depends on the variant, but yes on a USP you can decock the pistol and then engage the safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJ45

The Springfield XDE can be carried hammer down, safety engaged and also cocked and locked or safety off DA first shot.

I have the 3.8" 9mm version and it has not malfunctioned in any way in a little over 1000 rounds, Not a lot of rounds but I shoot other firearms.

jr24

FNX, HK USP/P30/HK45/HK45c are frame mounted safeties that fit your bill, that I can think of.

Personally, even AIWB, I don't see the point of hammer down and safety on. With the long pull, heavy weight and a thumb on the hammer while holstering basic DA/SA seems about as safe as it gets, Imo.

Pistoler0

The Springfield XDE can be carried hammer down, safety engaged and also cocked and locked or safety off DA first shot.

I have the 3.8" 9mm version and it has not malfunctioned in any way in a little over 1000 rounds, Not a lot of rounds but I shoot other firearms.
Thank you, I didn't know about the XD-E!

I'm in between it and the P30SX now : ) (although the HK is $200 dearer)

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Add to your list the Walther P.38 and the Mauser HSc.

Yes, they are pre and WWII era guns but they do allow the safety on with the hammer down, and while the safety does not lock the gun shut, it does prevent firing with a DA pull when "on".

Webleymkv

It seems that guns with slide-mounted safeties can usually have their safeties engaged while the hammer is decocked (these safeties also frequently serve as decockers). Guns with frame mounted safeties seem to more often (though certainly not always) have safeties that cannot be engaged unless the hammer is cocked.