DA/SA, DAO?

shredder4286

i know this question is a fun one, because just in the world of semi-autos, we have Striker fired, and hammer fired pistols. First, what is the actual definition of Double Action? My understanding is that with a hammer fired pistol- starting with the hammer NOT cocked, you squeeze the trigger, causing the hammer to first move backward, then, forward. Hence- Double action=backward/forward movement of hammer. (also implying a longer trigger pull) So then, single action being- starting with the hammer cocked, squeezing the trigger causes the hammer only to fall forward. SO, DA/SA is where the hammer is cocked either manually, or by the movement of the slide, and can be fired in single action this way. OR the hammer can be DEcocked, and fired in DA mode. Yes?

gb6491

SO, DA/SA is where the hammer is cocked either manually, or by the movement of the slide, and can be fired in single action this way. OR the hammer can be DEcocked, and fired in DA mode. Yes?
Yes.
Regards,
Greg

Jimmy10mm

Without drawing a distinction between hammer or striker fired, I prefer the same trigger pull for every round from beginning to end. I don't care if it is a 1911 carried in condition one and SA, or a Glock, Kahr or SIG DAO but the pull is always identical. That is what I feel most comfortable with. In an SD situation I probably feel more comfortable with a heavier DA pull. I would hate to be holding a gun on someone and hear a loud noise that was unintended.

gb6491

so, my understanding of these DA/SA, DA and SA are correct?
Again, yes, you are correct for hammer fired guns. The common arraignment on a DA/SA pistol, is that with the hammer down, the pistol can be fired double action (pulling the trigger draws the hammer back and releases it) or the hammer can be manually cocked and fired single action; subsequent shots will be single action until the hammer is manually lowered/decocked or hits on an empty chamber/bad round.
Regards,
Greg