DA or SA first

glockopop

After I get the S&W 1911 rescued from layaway, next purchase is a .357 or a .38. Eventually I want 2. One will be single action, 6-inch barrel, adjustable sights, more than likely a Ruger Blackhawk, possibly a convertible with the 9mm cylinder. The other will be a double action, 3-inch barrel, fixed sights. Ideally, a S&W M66 or an M19, but odds are I won't be able to find one. If I can't, it will be a Ruger GP100 with the 3-inch and fixed sights. If it's a .38, it'll be a S&W M64. There's already 2 9s, a .40, a .22, and soon a .45 in the collection, but none of them are revolvers. The SA will be a target gun, maybe a deer hunter if I get a wild hair up my nose, and the DA will be a shooter, for targets and possibly for IDPA. Which one should I buy first?

Majic

Ideally, a S&W M66 or an M19, but odds are I won't be able to find one.
Odds are you won't because both revolvers are adjustable sighted models. The M13 and M65 will fit your bill.

Guy B. Meredith

Get both in one. Most, if not all, DA revolvers can be used in SA mode and commonly are where accuracy is important. Just masochists like me that insist on trying for 3" groups at 25 yds offhand with DA.

When want to bug the semi crowd I shoot SA. The small groups are easier that way.

Dunno about other makes, but the S&W revolvers I have really do have SA triggers so smooth is it scary.

fisherman66

When want to bug the semi crowd I shoot SA. The small groups are easier that way.

The big "boom" from a magnium revolver does that anyways. The small group is cream on top. Full House loads are great for spreading out the groups of near by shooters.

glockopop

Basically, I want one to be a target gun with a long barrel and the other to be a plinker/potential carry gun with a short barrel. If one's a DA, the other might as well be SA. I also don't mind using this as a justification for buying 2 guns instead of just one. And yes, I did misspeak on the S&W models, but that doesn't change the fact that it's really hard to find an older K-frame S&W without the lock and a 3-inch barrel.

Webleymkv

The big "boom" from a magnium revolver does that anyways. The small group is cream on top. Full House loads are great for spreading out the groups of near by shooters.

If someone annoying sits next to me at the range, I do doubles with my .357, I've never seen anyone last more than two cylinder fulls.

TheGunShack

Have you fired a .357 ? I can't stand the high pitched sound, even with plugs. I'd rather shoot the .44 anyday. It's not really much harder to shoot, and really more enjoyable. At least for me. You have more range too. We shoot coke cans at 100meters with .44 and 60-75meters with .357. I've got to the point where I keep .38+P's in my .357 That .357 sound kills me.

glockopop

I used to have a 686 and I never had a problem shooting magnums. I did shoot .38s a lot though just because they're cheaper. My brother-in-law had a 629 with a 6-inch PowerPort barrel. That was not pleasant to shoot. It was fun, but I shoot at least 100 rounds out of all my guns at least every week or two. Since I shoot targets and practical competiton, the .44 is really nothing more than a novelty for me.