CZ's Nickel finish....experience anyone?

Arkhog

I am considering a 75B in .40 with a nickel finish. I wanted the polished stainless, but, it seems to be available in 9mm only. I have nothing against the 9mm. My daily carry is a G26. I am in the market for an all-metal .40 cal. this go-round.

I have seen polycoat and stainless CZ's. Is there anybody out there that has experience with CZ's nickel finish?

Pyzon

Love my nickel .40, bought it used a year ago from a guy that had the well covered extraction issue and had not shot it for years. New extractor spring installed, and all is perfect.

i looked for one in polished SS for a long time before somebody enlightened me that it is made only in 9mm. I may still pick one up in 9mm since they are so pretty.....what do they call it, a picnic gun ? Saw one at a show awhile back gently used for an asking price of only $599 but could not pull the trigger, and I have been kicking myself in the butt ever since.

Enjoy that fine choice, my friend.

Arkhog

I dunno....

Thanks for the reply Pyzon,

I went the CZ forum and found a guy showing pics of a finish issue with his nickel gun. I don't understand why they choose to not make a stainless .40 caliber 75B.

FEG

Stainless steel is not a finish.

All other CZ models are carbon steel with a finish applied. I've owned representatives of every CZ finish offered to date. The modern polycoat finish (anything you can buy NIB now) and nickel are more or less identical. The polycoat is a plastic, and it is susceptible to anything that will dissolve plastic. Nickel has a copper undercoating between it and the carbon steel, so anything that will dissolve copper can potentially harm the finish.

Between polycoat and nickel, it is largely a personal choice. There is little, if any, objective difference.

There are .40 75Bs in nickel. The SKU is 01123.

Cliff47

Pyzon, I think you are referring to a "Barbeque gun", something that comes out only for special occasions.

I picked up my polished stainless a while back at a Cabela's for $439 (with getting their credit card, and finding the display model price did not match up with the computer...to my advantage). That one is in 9mm, but it works for me. Maybe they prototyped the 25th Anniversary CZ75 (less the engraving and other bling for the polished stainless model)...who knows for sure.

Walt Sherrill

Feg wrote:

The polycoat is a plastic, and it is susceptible to anything that will dissolve plastic. Nickel has a copper undercoating between it and the carbon steel, so anything that will dissolve copper can potentially harm the finish.

Most of the things that gobble plastic seem not to be a problem with the most recent versions of the polycoat finishl. And, those materials will play hell with the older polycoat finishes. It is wise to be careful. (When the first brought the CZ-40, it was still an problem, and that wasn't too many years ago.)

As for the nickel finish, I've checked into this, through Angus Hobdell (a CZ employee) on the CZ Forum, and CZ does NOT use a copper base for its nickel plating process; some other gun makers do. (I'm not sure CZ ever did use copper, but it could be an issue with the older guns.) The concern about copper-dissolving cleaners -- an issue I brought up on the CZ forum many years ago -- isn't really an issue with recent CZ guns.

I've had a nickel 85 Combat for about 8-9 years, now, and it still looks like new, and it's been shot and handled a lot. That's not to say there can't be problems with individual guns that got mishandled during the finishing process. The nickel finish will darken a bit from handling, over time, and you'll want to clean it with CZ-approved "Flitz" cleaner/polish, available in most hardware stores. (The cleaning action,with that product, is mostly chemical, not abrasive.)

A matte stainless 85 Combat (with some of the other features found on some the stainless guns, such as the reversible mag release and longer beavertail) would be nice.

Last edited:

dairycreek

I have had this CZ 83 with a nickel finish for about six years. Have shot it regularly though not a lot. Cleaned it with Eezox and the finish has shown no particular wear or any change at all.

CZ83FIST1-R.jpg