CZ's new .22 rifles

jrhilde

Just had my local gun shop checking on prices and availability on the full stocked .22 and he found a model 452. The supplier had one left. I had one of these several years ago and it was an outstanding rifle---- unfortunately, I sold it to buy something else at the time---
I had been looking at the new model 455 with the full stock and wondered if this one would be based on the interchangeable barrel system, seems unlikely on a full stocked rifle, but thought I'd see if any of you would have any idea on this---and, how are these barrels on the new 455 working out? Seems I read somewhere that a barrel trade should be done by a competent gunsmith due to it'll need to be properly head spaced ----so should I jump on the 452 or just go ahead and get the newer version ? I would think that the full stocked version would be a permanent barrel install even on the new model----makes sense, doesn't it-------- John

Last edited:

jrhilde

Yeah, you may be right and this is a "don't let it get away" situation----I was sort of wanting to get my Browning T-bolt sold first to help with the finances , but that may have to wait ----

DPris

Member Emeritus
The 455 FS is fully barrel-interchangeable & no gunsmith needed.
I've used all three calibers on mine.
Denis

Venom1956

DPris

What happened to the Set trigger on CZ .22s? the 452 doesnt have one the 453 did but was discontinued. Then the 455 replaced them the both. Does the 455 have the set trigger?

fourbore

The 452 and 453 ran concurrent for many years. Both outstanding guns, IMHO best in class. I have a 453 as well as several 527 and 550 all with set triggers. Those triggers are nice and no doubt add to the cost of the firearm. Both 452/3 are officially discontinued, except left handed 452 in American stocks.

There have a been a few limited runs on the 452 American, which is a single stage trigger. And even fewer special limited guns offered recently in 453, which has the single set trigger. Whittakers in Ky is RIGHT NOW offering 452 Americans, right handed 22lr. A batch will come in a few days later all sold out. 99.9% of buying public totally unaware. No clue on the cz website. Just Whittakers face book page, small note posted.

Now comes the American market, 1000 pound gorilla. Your typical American has no use for a set trigger. Does not care about deep blue finish and might even accept the idea that a matt or camo finish is better than blue. CZ gets the message and starts to fine tune its product line. For that matter, when was last time you saw a deep blue Leupold new on a dealer shelf? Lucky CZ does stay with nice walnut. Not many makers will even do that much and keep the cost honest, based on materials and labor.

We have the 455, external looks about the same, but inside is a world of cheeped out and gimmicky weaknesses. The 557, push feed, is similar down grade. Nothing wrong with either down grade any more than 1965 Model 70. Just not as good. And good stuff cost a tiny bit more. Cost to the consumer and cost that cut profits. And a consumer either does not know or worse yet does not care.

I briefly considered a Sako varmint and found out the wood stock varmint goes to Australia and the plastic is for USA. I went 527, beauty and performance and old world design features, such as you used to find on the 453. The 527 is the only remaining cz bolt rifle for which there is no down graded option or out right replacement.

What you do have is every silly stock gimmick for the 455. Like Ruger with 10/22 specials. Nothing against the 10/22 just saying silly sells. Extra cost for good design, not so much.

Last edited:

fourbore

A note on the 452 full stock. they have a reputation for shooting well and that is against all prevailing wisdom on floating the barrel and going plastic for stability. The trick, in my opinion, is in the stock attachment.

The basic 453 or 452 American uses two bolts on the action to attach. The barrels do not float, but they can be easily floated or partial bedding. Real nice big rilfe setup.

The 452 full stock uses one bolt on the action and one bolt 1/2 way down the barrel. The stock is still got some meat at that point. Going forward from that barrel lug the barrel is floated. So, two point attachment and floated down to the tip. I dont have one, I would buy this one the op found if I could.

The 455 full stock uses a different approach, two bolts on the action for all models of 455. Even the full stock. This maybe a good thing in general. I dont know how that will stand up, a lot of unsupported wood for a 20" barrel. Seems 16 or 18 would have been better? This consolidation of design for the 455 seems as good thing. The barrel attachment to receiver, very bad -for my 2c.

Edit: I may have been unclear. the 453 ONLY had the set trigger. There is no set trigger for the 455. There is also no reason a 455 full stock would shoot any better or worse than any other 455 - becasue all 455 float the barrel the whole lenght. I dont have a full stock, so if I am wrong, please post a note. Full stock is generally best as a carbine. Just my opinion, 20" too much.

Last edited:

DPris

Member Emeritus
My 455FS has no set trigger.

If you get one, spend $20 for an alloy DIP mag well to replace the plastic one that comes on the gun.
Denis

JWT

My 455FS (.17HMR) is a sweet shooting little gun. Very, very smooth action and extremely accurate, even with open sights and my aging eyes. Never have had any malfunction of any kind with it. Have to assume the .22 version would be the same.

fourbore

If you get one, spend $20 for an alloy DIP mag well to replace the plastic one that comes on the gun.
Denis

Right! Lots of little plastic bits and pieces on the 455. None on the 452/3. The magazine parts, ugly spacer in 22lr, the tip on full stocks. I would say 99% of what casual observer see is the same. But inside the design, metal work and use of plastic, no good. IMHO.

The high end tangent rear site on the lux is gone. Cheep replacement. The ultra lux is only model with quality rear open sights. I think that was also changed on the full stock, but; I dont remember and I never had a cz full stock.

The 455 barrel is a slip fit on the receiver and held with set screws! Not even s snug press, just drop in! Not to say some are loose and some tight just due to cz tolerances.

I had a 1980's Model 70 push feed and it worked fine and I liked it. Later I got a re-introduced control feed model 70. Then I got it!

Last edited:

jrhilde

Stopped by this afternoon on my way home and told Duwayne that I want him to find it again and order it----some folks came in and as I left he promised to relocate that one and order it, so we shall see--- as soon as I actually have it ordered, I'll let you know---- as soon as I get my hands on it, I'll let you all know if all that great CZ quality is still there-----thanks for all the information on them, very much appreciated----- John

Olympus

Barrel swap in the 455 is easy as all get out and no gunsmith needed. Also, ever hear of the Ruger 10/22? People have been swapping barrels out on that gun for years and years. It all comes down to the design.

The 452 vs 455 argument has been thoroughly exhausted over at Rimfire Central. The general consensus is 6 of one, half dozen of the other in terms of accuracy. Some feel the threaded receiver of the 452 is more accurate, but there's no actual evidence to confirm. It basically comes down to personal preference.

jrhilde

When I checked back with Duane, he couldn't find the 452 LS again so I gave up on him and found something better on Gunbroker, a new-in-box 452 American Classic, very sharp looking, nice walnut, blued free-floated barrel, no sights ---a set of BKL tech rings fit perfectly and the Burris FullfieldII looks real good on it---the test target looked good so I'll bore sight it and try and get out to the range soon ---soon as we get some sun down here again I'll get some photos and then report on what it'll do at the range--- couldn't be happier---- John

jrhilde

Years and years ago, I had a Remington model 5, made in Serbia, but very nice just the same---it was difficult to reinsert the clip and the trigger pull was pretty heavy, but it would shoot and it was styled like a big bore--this new CZ is the same, great lines for a .22---I'll get photos----- John

Z400ACDC

We have bought 2 452s and 2 455s at whitakers in the last 3 months. IMO, accuracy is about the same. They are both very nice rifles although I like the looks of the 452 American over my 455 Varmint.

jrhilde

I've had three various CZ American models , an earlier .22 model, a .308 and this one and it looks to me like CZ more or less copies what American big game rifles looked like 30 years ago or so and being an old guy they appeal to me due to their lines, and the fact that they are still building very high quality rifles out of walnut and blued steel---
The European style is also cool looking but takes a little getting used to --- slightly different feel, but the double set triggers are nice---there were a few of these left on Gunbroker, but not many--- John

jrhilde

I wanted another 452 due to the one I had a few years ago, a 452 with the long stock was a blast to shoot, very accurate, and looked real good, had several guys out at the range come over and ask what it was---still amazes me how many shooters have not heard of CZ---
It does not surprise me that the 455 shoots as well as the 452's, but a barrel held in by set screws? Do the set screws thread down into a hole or are they just tightened against the surface ? John