CZ's Lux and FS Stocks

Waspinator

Hi,

So.. I've been keeping an eye out for a rifle to round out my meager collection. Right now I have:

.22lr Revolver
9mm Semi-auto Pistol
.357 Revolver
12 gauge shotgun

Anyway.. every time I go into a gun store for ammo or what have you, I look through the rifles, pick em up and see how the feel/fit. Yesterday I was in a LGS that just got a shipment in from CZ. They had quite a few and I handled the lot of them.

The rifles I liked were:
CZ 455 FS (.22 mag)
CZ 455 lux (.22lr)
CZ 455 trainer (.22lr)
CZ 527 lux (.223 rem)

It wasn't till I started looking at the ones I liked, did I realize they all had the same type of stock shape. More of a rounded hump then a straight back angle like on most rifles. After I handled them a second time, I picked up some other rifles with the standard stock configuration... It was like night and day. The CZ stocks were sooo comfortable and shouldered so well.

Main Question:

Is there a name for these stock types? Also, does anyone else make them other then CZ?

zukiphile

I have heard it referred to as a hogs back shape. Amongst modern rifles, I can't think of anyone else who uses it, but one does see it on old continental hunting rifles.

It is an excellent shape for iron sight use.

PetahW

I've owned several, and looked at many more - In every instance, the LUX had much nicer-looking wood than the mannlicher-stocked FS'.

A few other of the European gunmakers (Sauer, for one) offer those Euro-style, hump-backed stocks, mostly on their Europe-only rifles.

JWT

Just got a CZ455FS and the stock is extremely comfortable and easy to shoulder. Actually feels better than most other guns I've shouldered.

Pahoo

PetahW + 1

Euro-style, hump-backed stocks, mostly on their Europe-only rifles.
That is how they are described and there are other differences from the "Americans". The first one I ever owned, was a LUX and it looked pretty neat and shot great. Later with use, use, I changed my mind and went to the "American", which is more to my liking. Just a matter of personal choice. .. ;)

Be Safe !!!

stubbicatt

I shot a 223 caliber 527 LUX at prairie dogs for many years. The only reason I no longer have it is I loaned it to the kid of a friend of mine, and it was stolen from his truck. I shot so many rounds thru that rifle. Even when it was very hot the zero would not shift, and I could keep going.

Due to the "soda straw" nature of the barrel I expected the zero to drift, but it never did. Also, in concern for heat, I would only shoot 2 magazines through it before I would let it cool awhile and resume.

I have never been disappointed with a CZ product, and encourage you to buy one.

Yeah, they're called just European style, or Bavarian style, or hogback. They are usually (but not always) coupled with either the "FS" mannlicher-style stock or a schnabel forend.

You're on the right track, but if I may make a suggestion: Get the FS with 20" bbl in a rimfire or a 527, not the Luxe. With the Luxe, the longer bbl length is just adding weight, subtracting handi-ness, and in the 22lr's case, slowing down your bullet. And in the 527 centerfires, it ain't adding much to velocity.