Czech VZ 52

Rome

Recently I've been beating the bushes in search of something a little unique and discovered this Czech VZ 52. It was manufactured around 1951, is a semi-auto with 10 round clip, has very masculine lines and is very well built and complete. Bore looks in good condition an straight and all metal is still parkerized. Stock is also in very good condition. All in all, it appears that it will be a good shooter. The question is the ammo. It shoots 7.62 x 45, which is 6mm longer than the 7.62 x 39 my SKS uses. I've discovered that there is an insert you can purchase and install with LockTite to "reduce" the length of the bore to accept the shorter ammo but I'd rather shoot the original if I can find it.

Two questions for all of you. First, I don't find any reference to the VZ52 in a search on this website so does anyone have any experience with this rifle? And second: any suggestion about where I can find 7.62 x 45 ammo? I've looked in the obvious places. A few years ago it was available but now seems to have dried up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as usual.

Rome

P.S. For all of you "lefties" out there, this rifle ejects to the left!
R

[This message has been edited by Rome (edited November 12, 2000).]

Gewehr98

Not to toot my own horn, but check out this website for info on the VZ-52 Czech rifle:
http://www.geocities.com/gew98.geo/vz52.html

The chamber inserts are a bad idea, an accident waiting to happen, ask the Navy about their .308 inserts in the Garands sometime.

Ammo is out there, mostly the corrosive surplus stuff, but many of us now handload for the rifle, using 6.5x54 M-S brass. Some online ammo folks even sell the reformed brass for cheaper than I can buy the bulk Norma parent cases!

manny1

I own a VZ 52/57 762x39. A really nice shooting rifle. The chamber inserts do not work. A member on one of the sites tried one & after only 2 rounds it got ejected out of the chamber with some spent brass. A $35.00 leason learned.

Rome

Thanks for the replys. I still need an ammo source, guys, so keep an eye open for me. I'll buy the rifle if I can buy a couple of cases of ammo. Reply to my email if you find any!

Rome