Czech Point revolvers

Corona

I've been wanting to add a 22LR revolver to my meager collection as a plinker but man...even the Taurus and Charter 22s are expensive. Not to mention even a used S&W.

I ran across Czech Point yesterday and I am intrigued.

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/revolvers/

Anyone have any experience with their revolvers? I don't think they're connected with CZ at all, but I did have a CZ 82 which was a wonderful pistol. May have nothing more in common with Czech Point than it is a Czech pistol, but speaks highly for the tradition of firearms manufacturing there.

I tried googling up some reviews but they're very sparse. Generally good, but very few.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and insights. Many thanks.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
After having owned a CZ rifle and shot a number of CZ pistols, I can tell you I'd have a lot more faith in a Czech gun than one from Brazil, Turkey, or the Philippines. My CZ ,22 rifle was a shooter.

armoredman

The one they aren't importing is the one I want - the revolving 357 mag rifle.
None of the revolvers imported are from Czeska Zbrojovka Uhersky Brod, aka CZ-UB. Alpha Proj makes the steel frame one, which have a decent rep across the pond.

Corona

Cheap shooter - thanks for the link. I had looked over at Rimfire and didn't see this one.

Seems that opinions are based more on speculation than actual experience.

I'm still curious. I don't think any revolver is going to match the quality on my S&W or have as smooth a trigger pull, but I'm mainly interested in a 22 for plinking. If it was a steel frame, I'd probably jump on it. But even an alloy frame looks like it should hold up for my purposes.

Which leads me to ask...for a low impact round like a 22, does a lower strength alloy frame pose a significant problem for the gun's long term functioning?

I'm not familiar with Zamak...I assume that is some company's name for such an alloy.

Anyway...thanks.

C0untZer0

The cylinder on their 9mm model looks like it's about the length of a 9mm cartridge, which would make that revolver diffferent than the companies that just take their 357 models and put a cylinder in it with 9mm bore diameter for the chambers.

armoredman

I can tell you this from personal experience - Dan at Czechpoint is a no nonsense guy, and if you buy one, and have problems, he'll make it right.

Corona

Armoredman....thanks for the assurance.

I do like the look of the Czechpoint 22LR with the 4 inch barrel. The only other option near this price range is a Taurus 94. But even they seem to be hard to come by lately.

Cheapshooter

I'm not familiar with Zamak...I assume that is some company's name for such an alloy.

ZAMAK is a zinc, aluminum, magnesium alloy used in everything from auto parts to frames and slides on lower cost firearms. Much of the bashing associated with Hi-Point, the Walther P22, and others is the ZAMAK slide. Also the frame of Heritage Rough Rider single action revolvers. I have one of each, and have not had a single issue with any of them.
This isn't saying that ZAMAK is the alloy used for the CzechPoint. It could be an aluminum alloy just as many lightweight centerfire handgun frames are made from. Including many light weight 1911 variants, the Beretta 92fs, and Smith & Wesson lightweight revolvers.

Walklightly

I've been wanting to add a 22LR revolver to my meager collection as a plinker but man...even the Taurus and Charter 22s are expensive. Not to mention even a used S&W.

Yep, it's a cold hard reality we all have to deal with. First my attitude with Taurus is spotty. So if I step up to the plate and get a 22lr revolver, well, it starts with an S, and ends with a W.

Not there yet.

TBS, I've been peaking at those Heritage SA's. They're about $185. Plink away. Check them out at Bud's.

To heck with that unknown CZs (not CZ), get a Taurus!:eek:

mj246

You might also want to look around a little more at the Charter Pathfinders if price is the only reason you'd prefer this Czechpoint. depending on your budget, it really may not be that much more to get one of the target models (4" full lug barrel, adjustable rear sights, stainless). Buds has it for $347 with free shipping compared to the Czechpoint 4" 22lr at $292 + $15 shipping ($307 before transfer fees and such). That's only a $40 difference.

Personally, that is a small enough difference for me personally to get the Charter since it is both lighter (about 20 ounces empty compared to over 30 ounces empty) and I have been able to inspect a couple in person and find them to be of sufficient quality (though obviously no S&W, Ruger, or Colt). I've been intrigued about the Czechpoint revolvers since I first heard about them a few months ago, but am weary to buy a gun that I can't handle ANY models of that brand in person.

However, if the extra $40-50 for a Charter or Taurus is too much or there is some other reason leading you towards the Czechpoint .22, I have only seen a couple reviews and they both seemed to find it serviceable, but not super.

Lastly, if you wind up getting a Czechpoint (as pointed out the maker is Alfa Proj, not CZ), please let us know how it works out!

C0untZer0

I might not wait for the Charter Arms 9mm rimless

This CzechPoint 9231 looks nice:

attachment.php

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/revolvers/9-mm-luger/czechpoint-9231-9mm-para

Attachments

• CZ 9231.jpg
    CZ 9231.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 2,638

C0untZer0

Why is there a larger gap between the front of the cylinder and the frame on some guns?

I notice it on this CzechPoint 9231, the S&W Model 625 has it, as does the Model 27 (although not as pronounced).

Eh... nevermind, I started a thread with the gap question.

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

Why is there a larger gap between the front of the cylinder and the frame on some guns?

On that particular gun it appears that the frame is the same size as for 38 Spcl, or 357 Magnum, but the cylinder is made to size for the shorter 9MM Luger round. I am assuming the barrel extends through the frame to fill in the gap in front of the cylinder. Looks kinda dumb to me. JMHO

C0untZer0

It may be only a minor difference but isn't it better to have a shorter cylinder so the tip of the bullet is closer to the forcing cone rather thanthat extra space in the chamber?

I wonder if that is a 9mm barrel or .357 magnum barrel ?