Czech CZ-82

gustav129

I see them advertised for an inexpensive price ($180 + $10 hand select). The Ammo is 9x18 Makarov, and it's listed as 50 rnds for $10 (Brown Bear Russian made). Another point is they are C&R eligible. Would this be a good beginner hand gun, and would it be a good gun for a CCW?

EDIT: Another one listed is the Polish P-64 for $160.

chris in va

Concealed carry, sure...it would work fine. First handgun? No. You'll want to practice a LOT at the range and 9x18 Makarov ammo isn't near as cheap or readily available as 9x19 Luger.

By all means get one, but get something with a more common caliber.

10-96

For another $150 or so, you might take a peek at the surplus Sig P6's that are still seen around from time to time. Very simple, cheap ammo, visual controls (esp de-cocker), very robust and will last many-many years. Also, it's of a size that could pull double duty as a CC firearm as well if that's an option. Impact Guns still had some on hand the last time I checked.

Richard

I would just as soon use a 9x18 for self defense as a 38 Special and I would prefer the CZ82 to a 5 shot snubbie. Regards, Richard:)

My CZ82:
cz82ii.jpg

schnarrgj

I love both of my CZ82s. Having a fixed barrel, makes it very accurate. For a first gun, I feel that it is a good choice particularly for the money. You may need to purchase your ammo on line depending on your location. The brown bear and silver bear ammo is not expensive and is very reliable in both of my 82s. If you get one, the barrel seems to have no rifling but it is polygonal. This makes it easy to clean. You will not be disapppointed with the CZ82.

torpeau

I see them advertised for an inexpensive price ($180 + $10 hand select). The Ammo is 9x18 Makarov, and it's listed as 50 rnds for $10 (Brown Bear Russian made). Another point is they are C&R eligible. Would this be a good beginner hand gun, and would it be a good gun for a CCW?

A great gun for a beginner and ammo is very cheap online.

Another one listed is the Polish P-64 for $160.

The P-64 is excellent, but because of its small size, a beginner, especially, will find the CZ-82 easier to shoot.

Doyle

I'm a big fan of the P-64. It's my carry weapon. The original DA trigger pull requires King Kong to pull it back, but a $5.00 spring from Wolfe will solve that problem. The recoil from the 9x18 can be a little sharp for that light a gun. An extra power recoil spring helps tame the snap. I had two until one was stolen. If I found another one for a decent price, I'd snap it up.

The CZ-82 isn't a bad firearm, but it is SIGNIFICANTLY more complex. Detail stripping it is much more complicated than stripping either the P-64 or a true Makarov.