CZ75B versus SP01

Which CZ75 would you prefer; 75B or SP01?

• CZ75B

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • CZ75 SP01

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters

HiltonFarmer

I just came back from the range and a friend offered to let me shoot his SP01. After I fired a few magazines through it, he offered to trade me for my 75B because he always wanted one. I had to think why but then again ... it gave me pause for thought.

I found the handgun to be a bit heavier than mine and also a bit fatter in the grip thickness. It shot well, had an accessory rail (where mine doesn't) and a good looking handgun but did notice the magazines were longer than my own. Would they be a problem in competition scenarios? Because it's a CZ75 variant, could I use magazines from my handgun? Hmmm... The puzzle continued.

First of all, would you be trading an older handun for a newer one straight up?

In your opinion of those that own one or the other, which would you choose and why?

Comments greatly appreciated. :)

HiltonFarmer

roc1

I own 10 Cz pistols in all.Three of them are 75B"s two in 9mm one in 40 cal.I als have the P01 in 9mm which is the compact version of the SP01.I think the P01 is my favorite for carry because of size and weight it is alloy instead of steel.I have a shooting buddy who is also a CZ nut and he has the SP01.The gun shoots great but I like the 75B better because it is a lot lighter and the trigger is better.I think the SP01 would be a lot better if it was like the P01 in alloy frame instead of steel for weight considerations.It is a great shooter that is no doubt.You can not go wrong with any CZ they are great guns.
Good Luck
roc1

gac009

I would do it.

Would they be a problem in competition scenarios?

from SP01 part of the CZ website
Its list of users on the competition circuit include World Champions Adam Tyc and Angus Hobdell (1st and 3rd place respectively in 2005‘s IPSC championship, World Shoot XIV).

one2watch

P01

"I think the P01 is my favorite for carry because of size and weight it is alloy instead of steel.I have a shooting buddy who is also a CZ nut and he has the SP01.The gun shoots great but I like the 75B better because it is a lot lighter and the trigger is better."

I have a CZ 75b. Haven't shot it as it is a 30th Anniversary model.... but my comment and/or question is the trigger on the P01 is poor (in my experience with the 3-4 that i have handled in the stores. The PO1 has very nice fit to my hands as the reason I was going to purchase one till I dry fired it a few times... didn't like the trigger. I have an EAA witness elite 10mm that was designed off the CZ's, and that is a tack driver with a great trigger. Is it any one elses experience or opinion that the PO1 does/would/could need some trigger work???

HorseSoldier

Because it's a CZ75 variant, could I use magazines from my handgun?

SP-01 and standard CZ-75B magazines are interchangable. I use normal 16 round CZ mags in my SP-01 and assume the 18 round SP-01 mags would work fine in a standard 75B. Both types of magazines run fine in my P-01 as well, though with rather pronounced extension from the bottom of the magwell.

gac009

Is it any one elses experience or opinion that the PO1 does/would/could need some trigger work???

What I have heard from several sources(post, gunstore clerks, ect.)is that the PO1 dosn't smooth out like the other CZs because of its alloy frame. With steel on steel the parts rub together and smooth each other out. Steel and Al, not so much.

Topthis

What do folks mean by the trigger does not smooth out? I own a P-01 and have not found any issues with it at all, even from the first time I fired it. I have now put close to 3000 rounds through it and haven't had a single issue, it is quickly becoming my favorite shooter...the accuracy is nothing short of amazing!!

roc1

I ahve the 30th anniversary 75 also,I bought it just because and it was a good deal.The P01 is a great shooter but the trigger on mine was gritty even after 2,000 rounds.i think it does get better but I sent it to CZ for a trigger job anyway.I will be glad when it gets back and I can give it a try.
roc1

CraCZ

I would do it in a heartbeat! There are alot more 75b's out there than spo1's. He is definetly trading down! Keep it for awile and if you dont like it, later you certainly can trade it for something higher up in the CZ family than the 75b poly- coat even if it is in stainless steel.

HiltonFarmer

Kept the 75B. After firing it a few more times today, I found it is a little heavier and does not come back as fast as my 75B. I also didn't like the look of the extended magazine.

Now I know they're interchangeable with the 75B but why get a gun that you have to change right away? Even if it's only grips and a few minor changes to the mechanisms so you can sneak in under the weight restriction for IDPA.

HiltonFarmer

waynedm

You can not go wrong with a CZ. Their rifles and pistols are among the best in the world. Do you know of any other manufacturer offering service pistols that do sub 3" and some sub 2" grouping at 25 yards for the money CZ does? As far as I know, CZ is the only one out there offering a rifle with a 1000 yard MOA guarantee.

I currently own a P01 and it is fantastic. The target from the factory indicates it to be sub 2" grouping at 25 yards, which is better than I can shoot. The trigger creep out of the box was more than I cared for so I pulled the entire trigger group and worked over the hammer and reduced creep to about 40% of what it was. I think it's smooth enough, I just need to pull the trigger itself now and drill/tap in an overtravel adjustment.

A little information on the P01.

In 2001 the Czech National Police asked a number of gun makers to come up with a new duty gun to meet their stringent requirements. So stringent were the requirements that many gun makers decided not to participate in the design competition.

The gun had to withstand 4,000 dry-firings, 3,000 de-cocks, 1,350 user-level disassemblies and re-assemblies, 150 complete disassemblies down to the springs, screws and pins, 54 drops of 1.5 meters on concrete, a 3 meter drop, and a 24-hour freezing test.

With the easy stuff over, the gun had to be stripped of all lubrication, submerged in sand and mud and still fire reliably. On top of all that, the National Police required a 15,000 round 9mm +P service life. Further testing revealed that the P-01 could easily survive more than 30,000 rounds of 9mm ball ammunition.

In way of comparison, the U.S. Army had a requirement for 115 grain, 9mm ammo of 495 mean rounds between failure (MRBF). The Czech National Police requirement was 500 MRBE During the P-01's testing, the average number of stoppages wan only seven per 15,000 rounds fired. The MRBF was an astounding 2,142, which exceeds the requirement by nearly five times.

You have to remember here that CZ intends for this to be a service pistol, not a target/competition pistol. If you want perfect trigger setups, try out their competition guns like the Champion and you will be amazed.

It's nice to finally find some people out there that know the CZ line well and appreciate them.

tex45acp

I just recently traded for a really nice CZ75BD POLICE. It is a super well built weapon and is very accurate. I love the ergonomic grip and the long DA trigger is not too bad, especially since I am an old revolver hand. The SA trigger is as good or better than any SA trigger pull I have experienced.

CZ1.jpg

AutoPistola

P.40

I own a P.40 (P01 frame). The trigger was stiff and a little creepy, but smoothed out noticeably after a few thousand snap-cap dry fires. It is still definately a combat trigger, though!

I assume that the SPO1 uses the same plastic bushing to buffer between the steel slide and alloy frame? the bushing needs time to break in, too. I haven't really broke mine in yet, so the slide can be tough to rack, and occassionally it does'nt return to full battery. Sometimes I trim the rough edges off of the plastic bushing.

FirstFreedom

Here's new pics of my SP01 Tactical with TLR2, SafariLand Gunquick shoulder holster (which interestingly enough accomodates the TLR2 and is still very fast to draw), and Haken grips.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1010145.JPG
    P1010145.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 669
  • P1010141.JPG
    P1010141.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 666
  • P1010136.JPG
    P1010136.JPG