CZ75b Single Action?

Jermz1987

I've had my CZ75b Single Action for almost 2 years now. It was my first firearm when I turned 21. Since then I have put a few thousand rounds through it. Every time I shoot it I clean it. Its the only gun at the moment that I can shoot great with every time.

Now my question. I've read that the CZ75b SA was designed for sport shooting. So does that mean the gun would fail in a defense/survival situation? What I mean is, Could the cz75b SA take some abuse and keep on ticking? Could it handle being used in a Military/Law enforcement setting? Where it would get banged around a little bit, maybe go through some water, Or perhaps get left outside for a few days? Or is it best for it to be kept as a range gun/sport gun?.

Eventually I would like to make a few videos of me doing some durability tests on my CZ75b SA.....So if any of you guys have any videos or stories about the durability of the CZ75b SA/CZ75b
please post em.:) Thanks

Last edited:

jmr40

CZ makes a good gun. It is my opinion that they are one of the best choices for a range gun for target shooting. They are one of the most accurate guns you can buy.

It is also my opinion that for a self defense or combat handgun there are much better choices. It is not that the CZ is bad, just that there are better options. For less money. When I bought my 1st CZ I paid $330 for a new one. They are $590 new in my area now.

As far as long term durability, who knows. I'd like to see the results of your tests.

midlandwalther

Of course it could handle LE/MIL settings. CZ did win the Czech armed forces contract and it supposedly is the most widely used handgun in use today. I'm guessing that means in Europe & other countries, being that Glocks and Sigs rule the roost over here. Have faith in it, you won't be disappointed.

l98ster

I myself am looking for a CZ SA right now. Im currently shooting and XD9 tactical in proiduction IPSC/IDPA and am looking for a CZ75 SA in 40 for limited!

The quality of the gun is not the concern for self defense or LE. Most people would deem that the light single action trigger is not appropriate for law enforcement.

Other than that, the CZ pistols are great.

-George

LarryFlew

Guessing that the 75B converted to SA also included removal of the firing pin block (B in model) as it usually does. Other than that safety feature it should still be very reliable.

Delaware_Dan

I have had my CZ75 SA for a couple of years and have only cleaned it once, and it was the day I bought it. Not one hiccup yet.

railroader

Guessing that the 75B converted to SA also included removal of the firing pin block (B in model) as it usually does. Other than that safety feature it should still be very reliable.
You don't need to remove the firing pin block to convert a 75b from DA/SA to SA. Now if you want to use a single action trigger that has pre-travel adjustment, you need to remove the firing pin block if you want to remove the take up on the trigger pull. That same trigger can be used with the firing pin safety installed it will just have some pre-travel. Mark

schmeky

Railroaders post #7 is correct. The only thing needed to convert a DA/SA CZ to SA only is to remove the DA disconnector. It is held to the hammer by a single solid pin.

schmeky

What is the advantage of converting to SA only? All my 75s have smooth triggers in SA mode

The only potential advantage is you could use the SA only straight, adjustable trigger from the CZ Custom Shop if you don't like the original curved trigger.

stevieboy

Think of the CZ 75B SA as a (considerably) less expensive Browning Hi-Power with greater capacity and you've got a pretty good idea of what the gun is. I know, it's not a Browning clone, but it functions like one. I paid $525 for mine at Bud's, about $350 less than I would have had to pay for a Browning. I've had it for about 6 months, I've put about 1000 rounds through it with ammunition ranging from 115 gr. right up through 124 gr. NATO ammo (It really likes that stuff), without even a hiccup. It's extremely accurate, especially with the hotter 124 gr. stuff, has a wonderfully ergonomic grip, and is a snap to dissassemble and clean. The all SA trigger, if not fabulous, isn't bad, and is far superior to the trigger on a Glock or on most striker fired guns. It's definitely way better than the trigger on a Browning and at least equal to that of a Beretta 92FS in single action mode. If you want to carry it cocked and locked you may do so without difficulty. So, what's not to like?

LarryFlew

You don't need to remove the firing pin block to convert a 75b from DA/SA to SA. Now if you want to use a single action trigger that has pre-travel adjustment, you need to remove the firing pin block if you want to remove the take up on the trigger pull. That same trigger can be used with the firing pin safety installed it will just have some pre-travel. Mark

Exactly why most conversions also remove the block.

Walt Sherrill

I have a very nicely gunsmithed CZ75B SA. It has the metal trigger that is adjustable for both take up AND overtravel.

It has the firing pin block in place. You will NOT notice it's presence when working the trigger or firing the gun, and it does not interfere with the action.

You do NOT need to remove the firing pin block, but I suspect that the very best shooters will gain some small advantage from doing so. (Darned few of us have the natural gifts needed to take advantage of that small enhancement.)

Mosin44az

I have read that the CZ 75 is the most widely used military/police arm in the world. Of course it should be able to take abuse. As others seem to note above, the SA version should not be any less tough.

Walt Sherrill

I have read that the CZ 75 is the most widely used military/police arm in the world. Of course it should be able to take abuse. As others seem to note above, the SA version should not be any less tough.

I'm a big CZ fan, but... don't confuse CZ marketing hype with facts.

CZs are used by a number of small military units and police groups around the world, but they don't have nearly as many guns in use as SIG or Glock, etc. CZ emphasizes "widely used" as opposed to "largest number used." What they claim is arguably "factually" correct, but it doesn't mean what it seems to mean.

The last time I checked, no police departments in the US used CZ (and only a few allowed them as private-choice weapons), and no major military units were using them. Israel and Turkey once used Tanfoglio-based CZ clones, and Turkey is now making their own -- all based on a similar design. The Czech military may have started using some variants of the CZ-75, but that would be a recent development.

CZs are great guns, and they're growing in popularity -- but the US Department of Defense probably bought more Beretta for the US Army alone over the past 20 years than CZ sold to every military and police department in the world over the past 30 years.

None of this is intended to disparage the quality or function of CZs. I have an 85 Combat, a 75B SA, and a number of CZ-based guns: a Sphinx, a custom AT-84s, and a Witness. I've owned many other CZs over the years. I like the guns. (I have other guns, too, including a marvelous Glock 35 and a well-tweaked S&W M&P Prok, and a SIG 220 Match.)

Last edited: