CZ75B SA 40cal Range Report

Tom B

Traded for this unfired CZ earlier this week and took it to the range yesterday. The obvious differences between this CZ and my CZ75B Mil Turk other than cal are SA, ambi safety, skel liteweight hammer, poly trigger and full length SS guide rod. I suppose the frame is a little beefier (I didn't measure) and it does have full length frame rails. I put 130rds of S&B 180gr TMJ thru it with no malfunctions. This was loading 10 in mag +1 in chamber which causes my Glocks problems at times. I didn't measure groups but accuracy appeared very good. The SA trigger is great but I have read several reports of poly trigger breakage so we will wait and see on this one. CZ does make a replacement in steel and alumin. Since I am left handed the ambi safety in a SA is a must for me and the CZ safety worked well with a positive feel. Recoil was rather harsh for a large steel 40cal IMO. I suppose I have been spoiled in this area by my Glock 23C. All in all a great pistol in the CZ tradition. Opinions from other CZ75B SA owners/shooters welcomed. How do you like yours? Does the CZ75B SA in 9mm also come with ambi safety?

Eric Larsen

Great write up...Yes, the s/a's all have ambi safeties. Glad you liked it. The poly triggers arent really prone to breaking, some have but people really just dont trust poly triggers...like when poly guns came out..something new. Most do get replaced...
Shoot well

Cee-Zed

You have already seen my feedback at CZF under my other screen name in some other recent threads. Short answer: I honestly think that the 2-3 people that broke the trigger were pulling it from a hammer down start. Maybe not. I'm not dissing anyone; I have done it a couple of times myself (too much time on standard CZs I guess). When I disassembled the trigger group, it looked like it would not handle that mistreatment very well. It is high density polymer, but the design won't take that kind of stress. I am not an expert on these matters.

The accuracy of this pistol is simply outstanding. I have had a few INSANE (read: lucky) groups with the 9mm verison. I once got a 2.5" freehand group at 25m. Yes, a certain amount of luck or "randomness" was invovled, but I have never done that with any other pistol either. (To be honest, I haven't duplicated it in the SA either.) Normally I can expect the SA to group at least 1" better than my 9mm 75B at that distance. For me, trigger control is an issue, and the 75B SA really helps. I have tried the 75B SA barrel in the 75B as well, and the SA barrel groups better than the B one. (It is not as dramatic, however.)

Since the larger ambi safety is intended as a thumb rest, I like it for that purpose. I would be uncomfortable carrying it in Condition 1; it is big enough to get caught on things. Probably paranoia on my part, but it is pretty large.