CZ75B in 40 S&W--good fit or wrong caliber for platform?

Gremlin

I'm seriously considering a CZ75B in 40 cal. I own a 75B in 9mm and love it. Talk about a tackdriver, this one will put 10 rounds into a space the size of a deadbolt at 40 feet.

What about the 40 S&W version? Is the extra pressure of the round tough on the CZ75B slide or frame? Did they beef it up right? Has anybody shot them both? How's the re-coil (the CZ's such a big weapon that I don't imagine it will be too bad...)?

Anything you could add would be great.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I had a CZ75B in forty. It shot well with most loads, something I cannot say about other forties that I shot. Accuracy was fine and the gun showed no undue wear and tear. Best.

VonFatman

I too have a 75B in 9mm...I just can't warm up to that gun in a .40...
It was not designed for the .40 & I can just imagine how "snappy" that recoil will be in that med. to small frame. I also would not buy a Browning HP in .40 since they are so close in stature.
Just my .02
These days, I tend to stay with the intended caliber when it comes to guns...HOWEVER I must admit...my first semi-auto was a G-22! So I guess I have "learned" this rather than knew it all along.

rblack

Gremlin,

Although I don't have a CZ in .40, I do have 3 nine's. I have a Browning HP in .40 and I would imagine the felt recoil would be similar. My HP recoil is not that snappy and it is very accurate. I do plan on getting the CZ in .40 at some point. Good Luck in your search.

VictorLouis

I must admit that I am no longer keen on the .40 cal., in general.:( I sold my CZ-75B .40 because I could just plain hit faster and more accurately with the 9mm version.:D Not to mention it's a bit lighter, and has STANDARD cap mags available to us mere subjects.:)

Yes, the .40 has a beefed-up slide, a full-length guide rod and a double-wound recoil spring. It also has the most fully supported chamber of virtually any pistol I've handled. Still, it exhibited both primer swipe, and other signs of excessive pressure, just as every other .40 that I have experience with. I guess that's just the nature of the beast. Do I feel it's strong enough for the round? No less than any other 're-chambered' design, and more than most I suppose.

BrokenArrow

Most of the guns designed from scratch for the 40 (USP, sig pro) have thicker chambers and more case support than most of the modified 9s (especially Glocks/Berettas).

The classic SIGs work well too, cuzz the original design, the 220, was built for 9/38 Super/45 and there was more room to work with.

Even some newer 40 guns are still just minimally modified 9s (Walther P99, FN Forty Nine).

I know of more problems in 40/357 Glocks, SIG, Berettas than I do the 9s, and there are a lot more 9s out there. Doesn't seem to bother the feds any, who have gone 40/357 whole hog (FBI, DEA, USSS, INS/BP...)

It (CZ) may work fine in 40, but it would be "better" in a slightly larger platform IMO.

Onslaught

Sorry guys, I know this is SLIGHTLY OFF topic, but I gotta add:

My favorite round is .40, and I have fired many pistols chambered for it... Glock 22, 23 &27, HK USP40 & Compact, Star FireStar, Taurus PT100, Kahr K40 & MK40, *&* Tactical& Sigma, and lastly, the Browning Hi-Power.

I must say without hesitation that the Browning Hi-Power was THE least recoiling, smoothest shooting pistol of the bunch BY FAR!!! Fear not the BHP in .40... it is a perfectly functional work of art!

mbott

Gremlin,

My CZ 75 B in .40 arrived last week. Accuracy was excellent and recoil was not excessive. Looking forward to many more trips to the range with this pistol.

--
Mike

I have shot the Sig P229 in .40. I was not impressed. It had more muzzle flip than most comparable guns and the accuracy is not impressive for a Sig (most Sigs have very good accuracy). I would recommend the CZ 75 B .40 over the Sig 229 .40 even if prices were equal!

Tecolote

Where's the page?

GRW,

Where's the page with the reviews and pics?

Early on some companies rushed .40s into the market, and they learned from their mistakes. CZ really took it's time with the .40. The .40 CZ75B looks like the 9mm CZ75 but it's very different. The slide and frames aren't 100% interchangeable. It's an all steel design, how much recoil can it have?

Marcus

Remember the CZ has a great reputation for durability even when fed a straight diet of hot euro and +P+ sub gun 9mm ammo. Beefed up even more it should handle the short&weak just fine. My CZ-75 is still easy to control with the hottest +Ps and my CZ based Witness 10mm is mild even with loads much hotter than .40*&* so the .40 CZ should be pretty nice shootin as well IMO. Marcus

Gremlin

Well...

I couldn't help myself. I went to put the CZ75B .40 cal in dual tone on layaway and walked out with a Sig P226 in .357Sig instead.

The feel of the Sig was just so much better and I knew that the 226 could handle the .357Sig round.

I checked out the CZ's slide and Telecote was right, it's a lot more massive than a 9mm... but...

The Sig beckoned and I caved.