CZ75 Omega

eddiejoe333

I just put a CZ75 Omega on layaway. It comes with 2 10-round magazines. I compared it to a Canik compact. In every respect, the CZ seemed a better made pistol. The price certainly reflected this. One major difference was in the trigger: with the hammer down or cocked, the position of the trigger inside the trigger guard was the same. Pull was a bit lighter when cocked, but I was puzzled by this. It is not a SA design. Anyone know what I might have been missing?

eddiejoe333

True, and it was a bit lighter. But when I pulled the hammer back on this thing, the trigger should have also moved to the rear of the trigger guard, but it didn't. That was what I was puzzled by.

Walt Sherrill

eddiejoe333 said:
True, and it was a bit lighter. But when I pulled the hammer back on this thing, the trigger should have also moved to the rear of the trigger guard, but it didn't. That was what I was puzzled by.

Not all the way to the rear of the trigger guard, but it should have moved some to the rear.

With both standard CZs and CZs with the Omega trigger system, the trigger should move a small distance to the rear when the hammer is cocked, but if you don't watch the trigger as the hammer is cocked, you may not notice that is has moved a bit. I have a CZ P-07 which uses the Omega system; when the hammer is cocked that trigger does move about 1/2 inch to the rear.

I would expect your gun's trigger to move about the same -- but unless you're watching the movement as it happens, the change in trigger position isn't that obvious. (The Omega trigger in a metal-framed CZ may be a little different, but I've not seen or handled one of the 75Bs with a Omega trigger system installed.)

The CANIK doesn't have the Omega system (as that new fire control design is arguably still protected by patents, etc.) Trigger position may not be the same.

Since your gun is on layaway, you might explain your concern to the gunshop people and ask to see the gun again and check it. If the gunshop has another Omega-equipped gun, you can compare them. If the gun seems to function properly in both DA and SA mode (i.e., pulling the trigger in either mode makes the hammer drop), you're probably good to go.

Last edited:

eddiejoe333

Thanks! The CZ I think is the way to go. The grip fit perfectly, the trigger pull in DA was smoother...the finish was nice and shiny lol! I'm going to stick with the CZ.

Now for some extra magazines, holster, more ammo, and maybe a threaded barrel!

Walt Sherrill

eddiejoe333 said:
Now for some extra magazines, holster, more ammo, and maybe a threaded barrel!

The mag used with the Omega CZ-75B is the same as the mag used with the non-Omega (i.e., standard) CZ-75B

Mec-Gar mags are readily available for CZs, and they are almost identical to the CZ factory mags. I say almost, as you may find that some are slightly different, but that's not a negative. Mec-Gar makes most of the CZ (OEM) factory mags for most CZ models -- but not all.

You should generally avoid mags from any other mag-makers -- but mags made for Witness and Tanfoglio guns generally work pretty well.

(Exception: Pro-Mag, a curse word for some shooters, makes good mags for the "compact" CZ models. Full-size? Not so much.

Mec-Gar prices are about HALF of the CZ price (if you buy directly from CZ.)

JDBerg

(Exception: Pro-Mag, a curse word for some shooters, makes good mags for the "compact" CZ models. Full-size? Not so much.

Mec-Gar prices are about HALF of the CZ price (if you buy directly from CZ.)

Glock Pro-Mags make appropriate door stops. The only time I can remember my G-17 choking with known good ammo was with a borrowed Pro-Mag.

I bought a Mec-Gar branded mag for my 75B at my LGS for $30. The LGS also had the CZ factory mags made by Mec-Gar & these were $55.00. The 2 mags were identical, except the cheaper mag had the Mec-Gar brand on it and the more expensive factory mag did not.

Walt Sherrill

RE: Mec-Gar and CZ and Pro-Mag magazines.

You'll sometimes find that while Mec-Gar mags seem the same as CZ factory mags, but they may not be truly identical. They look the same, to be sure. But the differences are not a problem. The Mec-Gar mags sometimes have different followers and coatings that make them hold an extra round or work more smoothly.

Some of the mag specifications aren't the same, but the Mec-Gar branded mags are always at least as good as the CZ factory mags. While Mec-Gar generally makes/supplies most of the mags in the 75B-based guns and later models, some models may have mags made by CZ or other sources.

The Pro-Mag "compact" mags for the CZ-75 Compact in .40 (a gun that CZ announced but never produced) worked beautifully in the 9mm compacts, and let those of us with compact CZ bypass the 10-round mag limit during the horrid hi-cap mag ban period. [I may be showing my age!!]

When CZ finally introduced the .40 versions of their compacts, their factory mags didn't work well and caused CZ a lot of grief -- but the Pro-Mag .40 mags mentioned above did fine. (But most folks didn't know it and never tried them.) Go figure... The crappy CZ-made .40 mags meant that when they introduced the CZ-40P (the P-01 frame and a 40B slide) they had to use a full-size mag with an extension on the bottom.

I purchased some 10-round full-size "factory" mags -- useful for IDPA competition -- from CDNN some years back; those mags had all of the appropriate CZ markings, but on the back of the paper insert in the "factory" mag package you saw that the magazine was made by Pro-Mag. When Pro-Mag complied with CZ's specs for an OEM magazine, the Pro-Mags were as good as CZ mags. Those 10-rounders seem indestructible.

Mec-Gar 15-round mags, in the old days, wouldn't work in a pre-B CZ-75, but the factory mags (any period) would work in either. The 16 and greater capacity mags from either source typically won't work in the older pre-B CZs, which have a narrower area at the top of the grip where mags are inserted. (That can be fixed with a simply mod to the pre-B.)

Folks who buy the full-size mags for CZs generally regret it, but new springs generally make them work fine after they give up the ghost. I wouldn't go there if I had other options.

Last edited:

Knightsofnee

The trigger on my steel CZ75 B Omega moves a measured .25 of an inch when it is cocked for single action. It takes almost another .25 before the hammer falls. The trigger movement is nowhere near as obvious as a double action revolver when it's cocked.

Walt Sherrill

Skans said:
So, what's the real difference between the CZ 75B trigger and the Omega trigger?

I've now got a P-07 but haven't gone beyond shooting it. A comparison of parts diagrams show that the differences seem substantial (with regard to how the hammer, sear, and trigger interact)-- the Omega system is much SIMPLER. The standard CZ is shown on the left, while the Omega CZ is on the right -- straight from the CZ-USA website (manuals).

Don't ask me to explain any of this -- I'm not there, yet.

CZ75%20FireControl%20Compared_zpsktuz2z9o.jpg

Skans

That is quite a difference! I wonder what the practical difference is in performance and tuning? The more complicated design does look a little more robust - I'm basing that on the full trigger bar vs. the half. Heck, I don't know what half those parts do.

Walt Sherrill

Some of that robustness is more apparent than real. Many DA/SA guns have a single trigger bar, for example -- Berettas and SIGs have a one-sided bar -- and we don't hear about them failing. The P-07 and P-09 have been out for several years now, and they don't seem prone to failures, either.

The early problems with the P-07 had to do with the polymer frame --and an unsightly bulge on the side of the frame. As I understand it CZ changed the design and polymer formula to resolve what was a "cosmetic" issue -- as it didn't affect function. It just looked WRONG when it happened -- on some guns!

The standard CZ is robust, but part of that APPARENT robustness (and many extra parts) was arguably there to make a unique and complex DA/SA gun (which could also function as a SA gun only, if desired) also be able to function with a decocker. (Not interchangeable, but same basic mechanism.)

I was amazed at how crisp the trigger on my used P-07 was the first time I shot it, and as far as I know, its absolutely factory stock. About the only tuning it could benefit from is a slightly lighter main spring -- but it shoots so well, I'm hesitant to change it (if lighter springs can be found).

Talk to David Milam at Cajun Gun Works. He's very familiar with the standard CZs (both safety and decocker), the P-07/P-09 (which uses the Omega system), and the new Sphinx pistols. He also works on the Turkish-made CZ-pattern guns. David is one of the best CZ gunsmiths around, and has created a number of custom parts for different models, and does tuneups for all of them. He can probably give you the best (as close to objective) answer available.

David participates here from time to time, but tends to keep a low-profile (probably thinking it improper for someone in the gunsmithing business to make too great a presence.) Others rave about him and his work -- me among them.

Last edited:

Hank R

I have the P-09 and had David from CGW send me the lighter hammer spring and it improved the DA trigger. For the SA action to improve I took his advice and bought the replacement hammer which will take most of the stacking out of the SA trigger and lighten it as well. It is advertised on his web site and is well worth the money. Now the DA pull is about 8.5lb and the SA is 4.5lb and breaks like a glass rod. Talk to Dave and his advice will improve your gun a great deal. Hank

Skans

Walt, it would be interesting to hear David chime in on what real (if any) difference there is in the trigger performance and ability to tune the two different trigger systems.

Hank R

His web site has most of this information and Videos by "Joe Mustang 99" will show you how it is done as well.

Anybody know if you can use the CGW P-09/P-07 upgrade kit in the 75B Omega?

I'm trying to decide between restoring a surplus 75B, and getting a new 75 Omega for not much more. For the money, the Omega is much more practical, but a big part of me just wants to work on a beat-up old gun.

Walt Sherrill

Independent George said:
Anybody know if you can use the CGW P-09/P-07 upgrade kit in the 75B Omega?

Why not contact David at CGW and ask him? (I think the Omega in the 75B and the Omega in the P-07/P-09 might be slightly different, although based on the same design.) I wouldn't be surprised if the same sort of kit is available for the 75B version.

http://www.cajungunworks.com

Knightsofnee

I like my CZ 75B Omega very much, but frankly part #34, the trigger bar spring, does not inspire much confidence. It bears a close family relationship with a broken paper clip and seems to be held in place with little more than good intentions. But so far it hasn't given me any trouble in well over 500 rounds.