CZ52 or Romanian TTC Tokarev

Fox84

I'am looking for a pistol in 7.62X25 cartridge. I sort of like both. Any opinions on witch is best? CZ -$300 and the TTC-$250

raftman

I'd go TT, it is more compact, isn't as likely to need parts replaced right out the door as the '52. The CZ52 is known to have a brittle firing pin, particularly in cases of dry-firing, there are aftermarket replacements available, but that's one more thing you'd have to pay for and wait on shipping that you wouldn't with the Tokarev. The de-cocker on the 52's is prone to wear and has been known to fire off a round when de-cocking the hammer. The rollers in the CZ52 are prone to deformation and once more often call for aftermarket replacements.

Mags and replacement parts are probably more available and cheaper for the TT.

Some claim the CZ52 is sturdier as it designed to work with hotter loads than the standard 7.62x25 used in the TT, but I suspect this is something of a myth. I have seen kb'd CZ52's and haven't ever seen kb'd TT's, which might say something considering (at least according to wikipedia) that there were 200,000 CZ52's made compared with 1.7 million TT's.

Tidewater_Kid

I have both and like both. I do have four different TT-33 from different countries. You have to decide what you want them for, collecting, shooting or what. They are both interesting pieces, but I like the TT-33 design best. I have never broken parts on either pistol, but I don't dry-fire them either.

TK

noelf2

I'd get the TT. Can't bring myself to buy a CZ52 with current prices. They were $117 just a few years ago. Do you have aline on 7.62x25 ammo?

SteveBonning

I've had the CZ52, and I have a TT. For all the reasons in post #2, get te TT; well, get them both, but the TT first. They are both great shooters and have history to them

tahunua001

I have no knowledge of the romanian but I had the priviledge of playing with a norinco 213(chinese tt copy) and CZ52 side by side, the TT had a much nicer trigger, mag release was much more user friendly and for the life of me I could not get the slide to release on the CZ...

I would take the TT over the CZ any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Fox84

The owner of the CZ52 reduced to $275 so I bought it also. The TT is coming from Classic Arms. It will be 15 days before I see it.

Tidewater_Kid

I think you will enjoy both of them. I don't see many CZ-52s for sale anymore, so the price from a few years ago does not apply now. I've had mine for about 8 yrs and I paid $125 for two of them. Sold one to me brother.

TK

Cheapshooter

Or a Yugo M57. One more round than the TTC, and a much better safety. Don't know how the crazyness has affected them, but they were still pretty easy to find a couple months ago.
Shooting, or reliability wise I couldn't pick. I have a Romi, Polish, M57, and CZ52, and It is impossible to decide between them.

Fox84

I have a 1000 rounds of new ammo. There are some locals with surplus stuff. Always looking for a deal.

jsmaye

I have a CZ-52 in both 7.62 and 9mm - I like them, but still would like a TT of some sort.

I don't dry fire them (never understood dry-firing - that's what snap-caps are for if one really must), the roller mechanisms on both are in good shape, have no issues with the magazine releases, and they're good-looking pistols. And I just like Czech guns. I put some wood grips on my 7.62 -

09030309-cropped-shrunk.jpg

Tidewater_Kid

I love the wood grips. Did you make those or are they from Marschal?

Picture of mine. Threw in a CZ-82...

TK

Attachments

• Eastern Bloc Ladies.jpg
    Eastern Bloc Ladies.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 74

raftman

In regards to the M57 Tokarev variant, I am not sure I'd call it all around better than the standard TT's. It does have a better safety, but I've found the larger (by 1 round) capacity mag seems to feed less reliably than standard TT mags, and also have found the full-length guide rod of the M57 annoying during reassembly, also don't care for the M57's mag disconnect.

jsmaye

I love the wood grips. Did you make those or are they from Marschal?

I ordered them from somewhere - I can't remember off the top of my head. At the time there were two places offering them, one in Europe and one here in the States; I ordered from the local dealer.

Picture of mine. Threw in a CZ-82...

I like the pistol at the bottom left - which variant is that?

Last edited: