CZ w/ SOMI Scope

mes228

I purchased a CZ 550 American in 30-06. I then purchased a inexpensive scope a "SOMI" 3 x 12 with 42mm bell. The scope is named after the legendary Finnish sniper "Somi Hayha" during the Russian invasion in WWII. The little guy (from pictures less than 5' and probably 90 lbs covered with snow) killed over 700 Russians in 100 days before he was shot in the face. He survived though and died from old age at 92 years. I bought the scope as I liked the reticle. At any rate I just came back from the range. The CZ is accurate. Very accurate. I purchased 3 brands of 150 grain ammo but only fired one brand. The Winchester 150 grain Power Points shot groups of .75 inch. I shot the Winchester first, and was so pleased I saw no need to shoot the Federal or Remington. Some of the accuracy is due to the extremely good single set trigger. The bullet impact did not change - even as the barrel warmed after several shots. I love this. I remember a rifle I had drove me nuts (Remington Mtn. Rifle) as impact changed so severely as the thin barrel warmed. The SOMI scope had precise clicks that were repeatable. It is a one piece aluminum tube, lighted reticle, lifetime warranty, Chinese made (Pentax built the most advanced optical factory on earth there. I was told these are built in that factory but have no proof). Quiet clear optics. I'd say close to the Nikons, Leupolds, Pentax, I own. The reticle is an extremely wide heavy duplex that abruptly drops to a fine cross hair. At 100 yards I could see the 1" red bulls eye on the target clearly on 12 power. I could also see the bullet holes at 100 yds. I don't know how reliable the scope will be. However, here in Virginia conditions are not Alaska grade and most any scope works reasonably well. In conclusion, I really like this combo.

Last edited:

csmsss

CZ's are very much underappreciated, I've found. Excellent firearms at very reasonable prices. My next rifle, a big bore, will almost certainly be a CZ 550. I'm just trying to decide whether to get the American Safari or regular Safari stock, and none of the dealers round here have any I can use to try on for size.

azsixshooter

I have a 550 American in 6.5x55 Swedish. I LOVE it. I shot my neighbors CZ in .458 Win Mag and that was an awesome rifle too. I keep thinking I want a SAKO or a Sauer one of these days, but I'd probably do just as well to buy another CZ!