CZ Shadow 2

redlightrich

Hello all. My LGS calls me when ever he gets anything interesting. Yesterday's call met me with 2 CZ Shadow 2 pistols.
It was very nice. The machining on the parts that I could see without disassembly was better than normal CZ ( CZ seems to run their tooling until it wears out, then they use it for another 3 months)
These were black grip models. It is a heavy pistol, with a slim grip, very nice mag release, nice front and back strap diamond treatment, nice grips and adjustable rear sight with FO front. 3 17 round mags were included, as well as recoil damper and an extra set of safety levers ( the factory installed one are extremely thin)

It has a race hammer, and trigger pull is nicer than normal for a CZ.

The frame in the rear of the grip ( backstrap) appears slightly different than regular 75 models. It is cut in and high for close to bore grip.

Price was 1200. Not cheap, but not outlandish either.

I didn't buy, being I felt it would make my SP-01 a safe dweller. I do like my SP-01 a lot.

If I didn't already have an SP-01, I would have bought it.

It is in Lodi NJ if anyone in that area wants one. I expect they will sell quick.

The mags need to be altered before delivery. NJ has 15 round limit.

Anyway, my impression of this gun is very good.. it simply didn't seem different enough for me to burn a permit on....

Rich

rshaw

The CZ shadow II is quite popular here in the Netherlands. Both the blue and black grip versions are on back order in 2 LGS's here. Selling price (new) here is about $1400. I have a gun club friend who has the CZ Shadow I (preferred for aesthetic reasons) and is very happy with it.

Actually thinking about one of these myself.

wild cat mccane

It's a rip off that the SP-01 comes with the hammer it does.

I might be wrong, but the cheaper P-09/P-07 hammer is, at least in appearance, the hammer on the Shadow.

So in at least appearance, the cheaper P-09/P-07 have a better looking hammer than the SP-01.

ritepath

NJ requires a permit to buy a gun? Should have known from a state that doesn't think citizens are able to pump petrol on their own.

I'd love either the Blue (Nitride coated) or Black (crappy coat) grips.

redlightrich

I went back and looked at it again. it is nice, but I can buy 2 CZs for that price. I do like the slim grips, so I bought a pair of slim UB grips for my PCR.

I will probably buy a regular 75B or SA and just make a racer out of it.

BTW, I was shocked at how extremely long the reset was on the Shadow 2. I guess they didn't alter the lockwork too much. The trigger break was nice, but so is my PCR now that it has 3000 rounds thru it.

Still, it is a very nice gun

jimjc

The Shadow is a nice gun I handled it when at LGS, it's heavy, it takes me back to my 1911 with the weight. As nice as it is it's still twice as expensive as the SP01 and with a little work on the trigger the SP01 is the gun, for me.

From my stand point the Shadow, as nice as it is, is about $300 more than I would be in the market to buy. $900 would have me down at the LGS but it isn't.

I'm going through making a decision on the next CZ now, I have a PO7, P10c, P01 and looking at the SP01, SP01 Phantom and the P09. Some might say that's a easy choice but for me it hasn't been. If I didn't like the P07 so much it might be easier. Plus I like the P01 as much. so who knows, I don't.... yet

JDBerg

redlightrich: said:
The mags need to be altered before delivery. NJ has 15 round limit.

CO also has a 15 round mag limit, the gun stores here won’t sell permanenty “blocked” mags, and everyone should avoid using blocked mags, you would be better off with factory 10 round magazines, especially for a gun primarily intended for range use, such as the Shadow 2.

redlightrich

Hello JDBerg How are we all better off using ten rounders over a blocked 16 or 17, that is bought to compliant levels?
I realize after they are blocked, they glue them closed, so you can't simply remove the block. Why else?