Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Rock River Arms Varmint A4

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gonziii

Hello all,

I was hoping you could help me decide. The gun would be used for mostly shooting from a bench. I already have several 22s that I use on the 50 yard range, but there are only 3 benches at the range I go to and I would like to get a gun that I could use on the 100 yard range. I considered a 308, but am leaning towards a 223 now since the ammo would be cheaper. The rifles I am considering are the CZ 527 Varmint Laminated, Savage 12BVSS and the Rock River Arms Varmint A4 if I purchase a 223. A CZ 550 Varmint, 550 Varmint Laminated or the Savage 12BVSS if I went with a 308.

If you could share your opinions on any of the rifles mentioned above that would be great. The top criteria for the gun would be accuracy and reliability, I would place reliability first with accuracy a close second. The gun may be used for hunting in the future. The 308 would allow me to take a larger variety of game, but you can't use a rifle for deer here in Ohio so it is not a deal breaker. I believe you can use rifles for varmints, coyotes etc, but I am not completely up to speed on the hunting laws here, haven't been hunting in Ohio yet.

I know the rifles I mentioned would be a bit much to carry when hunting, but heavy guns have not bothered me in the past. I am not in the same shape that I used to be so I hope this still holds true :)

I would really like to have an accurate AR-15, and the RRA seems to offer the best bang for the buck. However, the CZ or Savage would probably be more accurate at half the price. I could probably pick up a .223 and 308 for close to the same price as the RRA. I would need to stagger the purchases sinc it would mostly come out to more, especially when you throw in optics, but I am in no rush to make a purchase, I just know I will need to scratch the itch some time in the futre.

Another idea I have been throwing around is a bolt action gun and an HK USP 45. I know it doesn't quite fit the theme of this post, but I have been itching for a 45 for some time in addition to an accurate rifle. I rented a USP and a Sig 220 yesterday and I really liked the HK, 3rd time I have rented one :)

Please share your thoughts and feel free to recommend other guns that are priced competitively with the guns I mentioned above.

Thanks

esldude

Well, AR-15 and bolt guns are just different animals. You really need to choose one or the other. Anyway for the use you name, from a bench, get a bolt gun. Now either the CZ or Savage are very good. I would probably give the nod to Savage due to the accutrigger. Unheard of just a few years ago, picking Savage because of the trigger rather than in spite of it.

I also notice 100% of those polled picked Savage. Of course that might be because no one else voted yet......?

gonziii

Thank you for the response. I was a bit all over the board with my post last night. Too many itches and not enough money to scratch them all, plus a bit sleep deprived :)

I will most likely go with a bolt action gun, better out of the box accuracy for less money. Plus I can put the money I save towards something else further down the road.

I have read some other posts and for a little bit more money the Remington 700 and Tikka T-3 have several recommendations. I was told by an old Remington fan that their quality control has slipped in the past few years and that an out of the box Savage would out shoot it.

I am open to any suggestions on other rifles. I was leaning towards the CZ and Savage for the price/accuracy. From what I hear they are hard to beat.

Last edited: