CZ pistols generally

BlueTrain

I've only owned one CZ pistol but all CZ automatic pistols from .32 to .45 share at least one characteristic. They all have "low" slides. Because of the slide design, the part of the slide above the frame is narrower or "lower" than on most other automatic pistols. I found that to be a problem on the one I had, a CZ-82, although the enamel finish didn't help when it came to getting a good grip on the slide, which is basically the problem I'm referring to. I've never experienced this problem with another other pistol.

Is this a problem to anyone else that has owned or has handled CZ pistols of recent manufacture?

Texcowboy

I have had a couple of CZs thru the years and like a lot of other guns I sold or traded, I wish I had them back. The CZ slide sits inside the frame rails, this makes the slide sit oower and in my opinion makes the weapon more durable. All in all I believe the CZ to be a high quality pistol and I will probably own another at some time in the future.

overkill0084

There is less to grab, but the CZ75BD + Kadet Kit I bought in Nov has quickly become a favorite. I also have an XD40SC and a SA 1911. It's no big deal to adjust to.

gregjc9

I have two CZs, a 75B and a 75SA Target. The Target is my primary range gun and my IDPA match gun. The B I just picked up used to take up some of the range time off the Target. I've yet to experience any problem gripping the slide. And I often switch between my CZs and my Kimbers at the rang. I would think enough practice/range time would cure this for you.

zombieslayer

I find the 75-style slides to be a tad bit tougher to grip than Glocks or similar, but its not a problem. I find CZ to be a superb quality firearm, and absolutely love their products. My favorites are my 2 52's and my 40B.
CZ=QUALITY

armoredman

11 CZ pistols through this home, never really had an issue grabbing the slide, but that's just me. Some do find the reversed rail design to be a hindrance, and I understand - the forward slide serrations on my P-01 do become very useful for that reduced gripping surface.

pichon

I have a P-01 and I haven't had any problems. The quality is superb. It is a bit more difficult to rack its slide than my XD's but the XD's have a relatively tall slide.

jmr40

All of my CZ's are long gone and I don't miss them a bit. The narrow slide is one of several issues I have with CZ's.

They make a good platform for playing range games, but there are much better choices for serious work.

Walt Sherrill

I've only owned one CZ pistol but all CZ automatic pistols from .32 to .45 share at least one characteristic. They all have "low" slides. Because of the slide design, the part of the slide above the frame is narrower or "lower" than on most other automatic pistols. I found that to be a problem on the one I had, a CZ-82, although the enamel finish didn't help when it came to getting a good grip on the slide, which is basically the problem I'm referring to. I've never experienced this problem with another other pistol.

The trait you describe is quite common with many smaller caliber center-fire guns (.25 .and .32) models from a lot of manufacturers; it is not something limited to just CZ guns.. It has more to do with the fact that you're dealing with a smaller gun (and barrel within the slide) than anything else.

On the 75-based designs built by CZ, the smaller gripping area of the slide is due to the fact that the slide rides INSIDE rather than OUTSIDE the frame rails. (That is not the case with the CZ-82 or CZ-83.) Supposedly, this allows the slide to frame fit to tighten/improve as the gun warms up, but I don't know if that is a "real-world" consequence of the design or wishful thinking. Note: the slides aren't narrower -- there's just a little less surface area where the hand grabs them to hold onto.

Last edited:

BlueTrain

I don't know if the "reversed slide rail" design is worth anything or not but it has been around for a long time. I think it probably appeared on the French Model 1935 pistol and also on the Sig P210, which may have been designed by the same man. It's one of those things that claims are made about that make you wonder.

dairycreek

I have had seven CZ pistols in the last few years. They include a 75BD, a RAMI, a P-01, an 83, P-1o1, 85, and a PCR. I have never had a single, functional problem with any of the pistols that I have owned. My daughters and grand daughters have tended to "borrow" my CZ's and never return home again. Some problem!

Webleymkv

While the 75, 85, and 97 series guns do indeed have "low" slides due to the slide-inside-the-frame design, the 82 and 83 series guns do not because they use the more traditional frame-inside-the-slide design. I think what your issue with your CZ-82 may have been is that that particular gun operates by unlocked blowback rather than locked-breech. Because the gun relies solely on the mass of the slide and the tension of the recoil spring to keep the action closed until the chamber pressure has dropped to a safe level, it probably has a heavier recoil spring than many other guns of similar size and a heavier recoil spring will make the slide more difficult to retract.

As far as a low slide making the gun more difficult to operate, I've not found it to be a hindrance. I grasp the slide with my whole hand rather than just my thumb and forefinger, which affords me extra grip. When I'm wearing gloves or my hands are slick, I find that grasping my CZ-75's slide further foreward where it is scalloped to be helpful.

Bamashooter

I just bought my wife a cz-82 for christmas and the first time I went and shot it I was amazed at how accurate this little puppy is. Not to hijack the thread but, will a 18lb. recoil spring lessen the recoil? We shot 40 rounds and didnt have a malfunction. For the price I could see another cz in my future.

greghalliday

I love the accuracy that my CZ75 provides. It has my favorite trigger pull (in SA) of all my guns, 1911s included. They shoot very softly and fit me perfectly. Mine is my second favorite gun. Haven't had much of an issue with the atypical relationship between the slide and frame.

obxned

I have several CZs including an 82, and have never noticed any problem. All are super accurate and utterly reliable.

10mm4ever

Much as I love the CZ75 it's price has climbed steadily to the point that you could have a w.german SIG 226 or Beretta 92 for just a few bucks more. The SIG and Beretta have established a reliability standard that very few, if any other designs can honestly compete against.

Walt Sherrill

The SIG and Beretta have established a reliability standard that very few, if any other designs can honestly compete against.

Actually, Glock, S&W, Ruger, and H&K seem to be just as reliable as the SIGs and Berettas I've seen. I haven't heard much ugly about Springfields XDs, either. The CZs I've owned have been rock solid.

CZ prices HAVE climbed, however, and that is a concern. That may have more to do with foreign exchange and a decline in the value of the US Dollar than anthing else. (Guns that are partly or fully made in the US will have an edge in that respect.)

Last edited: