CZ Phantom - Ejecting Shells at My Face

Wishoot

First off, let me say that I absolutely love this gun. I've put maybe a few hundred rounds through it and it's quickly becoming my favorite.

The only negative thing it has going against it is that it tends to eject spent casings towards my forehead. As you can imagine, this is quite annoying and very distracting.

Anyone else have this problem?
Is there a cure?

Thank you for your help.

BTW... I'm confident I am holding the gun correctly and not limp-wristing.

Last edited:

Stressfire

Father in law has a Colt Gov't that does the same thing. Been hit in the forehead, between the eyes (woot for safety glasses), and taken hot casings down my shirt. It also has a tendency to toss them straight up so they bounce off the top of your head.

You may need to file your extractor a bit, not absolutely certain, but that's my opinion. We did that with the Colt and now no bouncing off the brainbox, downside is that now they go everywhere else now (and I do mean everywhere), not in a nice neat pile like my "sissy" Beretta, :D

irish52084

Might need an extractor adjustment. On the flip side, I had an XD in 40S&W that would spew spent casings at my head if I was lax in my grip. I thought my grip was solid as well, but that gun basically told me I was wrong and since then I have fixed some grip issues and no longer get brass in my face.

Wishoot

Just be thankful your not left handed like I am.

This situation would not be cool at all for a lefty.
I thought my grip was solid as well, but that gun basically told me I was wrong and since then I have fixed some grip issues and no longer get brass in my face.

I really hope that's not the case. I have a CZ75B with the original springs and original extractor and have never had a problem like this.

Patriot86

If I am ever a little lax with my grip my P226 .40 S&W lets me know it! Shell casings usually right at my eyes or down my shirt. That usually tells me "hey stop day dreaming about hunting down bin-laden and focus on the grip"

hAkron

I'm not sure why it would be any different for a lefty as some of you are suggesting. Do you guys hold a handgun off to one side or another? I'm left handed and when I hold a pistol in my shooting stance it's centered, so my brass is going to eject exactly the same way it would if I were shooting right handed, unless you are talking about shooting one handed from the hip.

geetarman

My P226 was doing that. I asked the onsite gunsmith about it and he said it needed the ejecter tweaked. He took the gun down and did a little filing on the ejecter. He changed the angle of the face. Took him about 5 minutes and we were ready to give it a try.

Shot 4 mags through the gun and not one brass cane back at me.

On my gun, it was the ejecter and not the extracter that had the problem.

Geetarman:D

g.willikers

Where the ejector hits the back of the case can determine the height the case ejects.
Yours might be hitting low on the case, causing it to fly high instead of out.
Reshaping the nose of the ejector to hit higher on the case should help, if this is what's happening.

armoredman

Call 1-800-955-4486 on Tuesday, press for gunsmith, and ask. My Phantom throws brass reliably off to the left right where I can find them.

Interesting post about spent shells.
I have one auto loading pistol that 100% deposits spent rounds all in a tight circle in a single place a little back and a little right to me. I swear I could put a bucket or a large pan down and fire 50 rounds and I would not have to go looking high & low to find the brass. My Glocks will not do that, my others will not do that but the CZ P-01 will. I did a lot of homework before deciding on the P-01 as a carry gun and as an IDPA gun. And I am not unhappy. My buddies that do not have centerfire pistols prefer and bum the CZ if they go to a match with me.

Walt Sherrill

Folks in messages above mentioned filing on the extractor I think they meant the ejector. That's a small piece sticking up at the rear of the the frame...

As noted above, changing the angle on the face of that piece will change the angle that the spent shell leaves the gun. That should do the job... (Filing on the extractor is likely to do nothing but screw up extraction.)

Smaug

I had a similar problem on my Ruger P90. It turned out that I had chipped the corner of the extractor (not ejector) by letting the slide slam shut on a chambered round. In my early days, I didn't know not to do this. I figured it was the most efficient way to top it off.

Take a look at your extractor; is it chipped? If so, that's probably the issue.

Wishoot

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm now fairly certain it was my ******* grip that was causing the problem.

Went to the range yesterday and made a couple of ever so slight adjustments (a little more finger on the trigger and used less pressure on my left hand grip).

Problem solved.

Let me just add this gun is fantastic. The DA still needs some work, but excellent SA trigger and amazing ergonomics. I was shooting at 25 yards and hitting COM which is pretty darn good for me. A better shooter would have no problem putting everything in the 9 ring or better.

Last edited:

stevieboy

I occasionally shoot 124gr. Nato rounds from my 75B. These are essentially +Ps and, when I fire these rounds, about one in 10 casings will come back and smack me high on my forehead, at about the scalp line. Most of the others fly back over my right shoulder. That doesn't happen with less energetic loads. Today, for example, I was firing 115gr. FMJs (Atlanta Arms) and had no problem with them whatsoever, they were all traveling off to my right. Obviously, the slide is moving much faster with the +Ps than with the 115s and that would affect how the extractor functions, I suppose. I'm guessing that a heavier recoil spring would probably eliminate the problem altogether, and I'd probably go to one if I shot the Natos full time.

Coltman 77

Definitely sounds like your extractor needs attention. Call CZ customer service, send it back and let them make it right.

Good luck, let us know how this works out for you. :)