CZ P-07 Duty

CortJestir

Took my friend gun shopping today, making the rounds of all the local gunstores. Looking for a compact 9mm to carry, he settled on the new CZ P-07 Duty. I had read little about them so when I saw and handled it, I was quite impressed. Very nice fit and finish for its price point. And the most impressive feature, IMO, was the 16+1 capacity with a grip that certainly felt thinner than my SIG P239 with an 8+1 capacity. Seems like CZ did alright with this polymer foray into the compact world. Things I didn't like: DA was not anything to right home about. And the controls look cartoonishly funny. $425 + tax, out the door. Came with a hard case, extra mag (!), lock, cleaning jag, bore brush, and papers. Don't know if this is a good price, but seems like a pretty good value, all things considered.

My buddy and I will probably get together later this week to see how it shoots...

Boarhunter

Give us a good report once you have put some rounds downrange. The gun has perked my interest.

Do you know whether it will take a regular CZ75 magazine?

Boarhunter

Boarhunter

jdncsu,

I agree wholeheartedly. I currently shoot a CZ75B and have accumulated a nice collection of mags. Had the P-07 Duty used the same mags, it certainly would have been a big plus in my book.

Boarhunter

CortJestir

Agreed. Mag interchangeability is always a good thing. IMO, it probably has to do with the way the mag well is shaped and the use of polymer to make it as thin as possible while still being able to hold 16 rounds in a mag.

Something else unique about the gun I forgot to mention is the ability to easily convert it from DA/SA with decocker and no safety to DA/SA with safety and no decocker by simply swapping out a few parts (included in the box). I thought that was a nice touch.

czf

The Duty takes special mags, but CZ-USA has plenty of them for sale.

W3.jpg

GA1.jpg

More info:http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/hakan/P-07DUTY.html

CortJestir

Mini Range Report

Well, I threw about a mag and a half (24 rounds) down range today through my buddy's new CZ P-07 this afternoon. So not a lot of time with the gun, but enough to come away with some first impressions which are pretty good, overall.

A gun rag review, this is not, but for those interested in a first-hand experience:

Recoil management was so-so with noticeable muzzle flip. I had a tough time getting back on target quickly for my follow-up shots. I had just finished shooting 150 rounds through a heavier 9mm, though, so take that with a grain of salt. I was not a fan of the trigger in either DA or SA. DA was long, heavy and gritty while the SA had quite a bit of creep and some overtravel as well. Not sure if this will get better over time.

In the accuracy department, it was easy enough to keep the groups tight and on target at 10 and 15 yards off-hand. I wasn't a fan of the post-in-a-u sights. I'm more of a 3-dot kinda guy, but it was no problem to acquire a decent sight picture fast.

The grip is thin, thin, thin for a double stack hi-cap! Probably the feature I liked most about the gun. 100 rounds total were fired through the gun (1.5 mags by me, the rest by its owner). No FTEs or FTFs to speak of.

I take that back. Maybe the best feature of the gun is its price - $425 plus tax out the door as mentioned in my OP. I think you get a whole lotta gun for that price.

epwrangler

Range report

I just got me a P07 today. After cleaning it i took it to the desert to shoot It was the easiest gun to shoot accurately I have ever owned. That is hard for e to say asI thoufght y 75 bd was the one. This P07 is amazing. It5 shoots so much better than I expected.

dsa1115

I'll be interested in checking it out.....but 1.5 thick is a pretty wide gun. Couldn't they have made it thinner?

Ainokea

The width is pretty much the slide. It's about the same as a Glock 19 or any other compact. The grip though is pretty thin for a double stack like CortJestir said.