CZ P-01: Back in the NY Groove

TunnelRat

Hi all,
This past week I picked up my third CZ P-01. The first I sold because I needed money, the second because I can't remember :eek:. Anyway as some might be aware I was on the hunt for a good non-polymer pistol and I'm very happy with the result so far.

It was this or picking up another SIG P229. While I'll still likely pick up another SIG, I preferred the overall size of the P-01. With the flat baseplates it's just about 5" tall, which is pretty much my ideal height for carry. In addition the P-01 incorporates a rail while not looking as bulky as the rail variant P229s.

Fit and finish of the P-01 are quite good. Very little play in the fitting and the polycoat finish is very even. While the inside of the slide and the frame aren't finished, I don't see many if any toolmarks that appeared in the P-01s I owned before. The barrel to slide fit is very good, which is likely a key factor in the excellent accuracy of the P-01s I owned before.

The DA/SA trigger is decent, but to be fair it's not in SIG territory. The DA pull is heavy with noticeable camming at the end, but still smooth. The SA trigger has a bit of takeup with a tiny bit of grit, but the release is crisp, as is the reset that is both tactile and audible. A plethora of springs are available from Wolff and I might try one to lower the DA pull a bit.

The balance is very good and despite the lack of magical interchangeable backstraps it seems to fit a wide range of hand sizes well and everyone I let hold it remarks that the ergos are very good. It has a relatively low bore axis that is noticeable. While the slide riding inside the frame doesn't leave a lot of mass to grab onto when racking, the front and rear serrations are aggressive making it much easier.

Accessories seem relatively accessible, though the night sight options are a bit limited (Meprolight does make sights specifically for the P-01, ML-17775, as opposed to the fullsize 75B). In addition magazines can be found easily online at both cdnn and TopGunSupply for ~$23-$24 a piece. As a number of manufacturer mags these days are relatively expensive it is nice to see good support from a quality maker like Mec-Gar.

I did make one change already. The stock rubber grips are very comfy and grippy. However, for my somewhat smaller hands they made the grip a bit big (wide) for me. My trigger finger indexed a bit off and the beavertail wasn't riding quite in the webbing of my hand. I picked up some VZ Tactical Diamonds grips for the CZ Compacts off of Amazon for $75. I cannot emphasize enough the difference this made. From what I read online it reduces the grip width by 1/4". Trigger reach was much improved. My hand now fits this baby perfectly and the diamond cuts on the G10 material make it perfectly grippy while at the same time not cheese grating my hands. You'll notice these are colored and not plain black. Plain black is definitely an option, along with a myriad of colors from VZ. These are Hyena Brown which I chose as I think they match the black finish well and as I have the option of something other than black, as opposed to my polymer guns, I figured why not.

I hope to have a range update tomorrow. In the meantime it's riding in my HK P2000 Crossbreed Supertuck, into which it slides nicely thought not very snugly. I also have night sights I'll have installed next week.

-TR

IdahoG36

Nice gun you got there. I just added some VZ grips to my 75B Compact, and I agree with you. it made a world of difference.

As a number of manufacturer mags these days are relatively expensive it is nice to see good support from a quality maker like Mec-Gar.

Some people do not know this, but MecGar makes CZ factory mags. They are one in the same. The nice thing is that when you buy MecGar mags for your CZ, you get the same mag for half the price.

JimmyR

I've been rocking some VZ Black Cherry Tactical Diamond grips on my CZ-75BD for a year now. They are my favorite grips, and even pushed me to try a set of the VZ grips on my J frame snubbie!

Brutus

Nice pistol, like the grips.
I've found that some snap caps and about 1,000 trigger pulls will do wonders for slicking up your CZ's action. Also are you aware that you can buy factory mags. direct from CZ?

TunnelRat

Thanks for the comments! As with others I must say I am really impressed with these VZ grips. In holding some polymer framed firearms afterwards they all seem slick by comparison, though that's not really true.

I know I can get factory direct mags from CZ, but my past experience has left me with nothing but warm, fuzzy feelings for Mec-Gar so I will likely just go that route.

By the way, while minor it was nice to see that CZ has updated its boxes from the old black plastic with plain egg-carton padding.

Brutus

I can't tell from the photo but does your P-01 have a serrated trigger like the PCR? Only thing I don't like about my PCR, puts a blister on my trigger finger after a couple hundred rounds.

1hogfan83

Would anyone happen to know the weight in ounces? Right now the P-01 is the front runner to alternate with my HK.